Bus on car license

pogweasel

My idiot friend has decided he no longer wants to be constrained by mere bricks and mortar, a free spirit & a life on the open road (i.e. he has not paid his rent for a while), and wishes to buy and live in a bus. However, I am sure that he will not be legally entitled to drive said vehicle. I'm sure though that there's some loophole wherein old buses are not counted as buses and can be taxed/mot'd/driven as some kind of car/lorry affair to avoid this.... obviously it will help that it won't be a 53-seater any more but a six seater with lounge diner, kitchen, bathroom & two bedrooms. Anyone know the rules on this?Also if he buys one still a bus, can this rule bend be applied when collecting it? And does having a post-96 license blow this all out of the water (so he'd need a pre-96 qualified driver..... shit.... !)

To answer the last question first... yes, being a post-96 qualified driver bollockses the whole thing up completely. None of the funny little loopholes apply if you passed your test after '96 - you're restricted to 3.5 tonnes and 9 seats, end of.For pre-96 drivers it's another story. If you're using a bus as a private vehicle you can drive it on a car license, as long as you don't carry over 8 passengers. With only six seats this shouldn't be an issue. I seem to recall though that there's some obscure rule which allows you to drive even a 53-seater on a car license as long as you're not carrying passengers, but don't quote me on that as I'm not sure if it was a UK rule or not.

Interesting. So he'd have to 'test' all the way up to the relevant category in order to drive it. And sure as eggs is eggs I'm not going with him :lol: Next daft idea will be a canal boat no doubt (cos yeah they are really cheap :roll: )Sometimes I really really despair.

This site should help your friend (if it is indeed a friend and not a 'I have a friend with an embarrassing itch who has asked me to....' type friend :wink: )

http://reddragonbus.proboards40.com/index.cgi

There's a section on licences in the forum. It looks pretty mind-boggling, so I'll leave it to him to try and make sense of it

I've tried, and failed (twice), to pass my bus test.. They are unbeleivably strict, and have very small quotas according to my instructor.

I didnt even want the licence to drive a bus! It was for one of these things...

Posted Image

An overland truck, I got a job driving one of these around the world, I've spent over £2k on bus lessons and tests, and still no joy!! :evil:

To answer the last question first... yes, being a post-96 qualified driver bollockses the whole thing up completely. None of the funny little loopholes apply if you passed your test after '96 - you're restricted to 3.5 tonnes and 9 seats, end of.

On the contrary, anyone who passed their test after 1996 can drive a minibus up to 17 seats and 3.5t (4t if disabled access) if they are over 21 and have had their licence over 2 years if driving for personal use. I've got 11 seat tour buses see! This only applies within the UK however, anyone taking a bus over 9 seats outside the UK must have a D1 catagory!

I think there's a "30 year rule" i.e. you can drive any bus older than that on any car licence (including 97-on), provided it's not carrying more than 8 passengers and not for hire or reward. You can also tax any bus as PLG, again provided it's not for hire or reward.If you want to drive a bus that's been converted to camper etc, that's fine as long as (a) it's been downseated to 9 or less and DVLA have been informed of the change to seating capacity, and (B) its gross weight doesn't exceed that on your licence - so if that's pre-97, a standard car licence allowed you up to 7.5t - 97-on, only 3.5t.So perhaps matey should start with a LWB Transit minibus... :lol:

Passed me test in 84.............I drive owt that's chucked my way.

Surely even then there was a seperate HGV test? I can't imagine it's ever been true that you can drive an articulated after passing a car test.
Yeah there would have been a seperate licence for a HGV.