Fined to buggery!

CortinaDave

The worst case I saw was a couple of years ago though. It was a respectable new-ish Mondeo with two wheel clamps and "UNTAXED VEHICLE" stickers all over the windscreen. As far as I know the car was taxed but the disc had fallen somewhere it couldn't be retrieved and they were waiting for a replacement to arrive.

Surely these people check the DVLA computer before clamping a car and putting stickers on it? My Renner Five's tax disc has fallen down behind the dashboard somewhere and I haven't got round to either attempting to retrieve it or sorting a replacement - I hope I don't come back to it one day to find it's been clamped or impounded because some mong of a traffic warden can't use a computer. :roll:
That was just what I heard, it might not be true. It was the 7th of the month so it's possible it was 7 days out of tax. I couldn't see it being any longer out of tax than that, neither the car nor the house looked the type. They don't stick yellow posters on armed robbers so it does seem a little harsh to do it to somebody who has failed to pay a relatively small amount of money on time.

My missus got fined before for not displaying when she'd applied online and bought a new disc... she left the confirmation etc in the window but plod booked her anyway.I phoned them on her behalf but they refused to lift the fine. bloody jobsworths.. it only takes them 2 secs to check the computer to see if the cars been taxed or not.

I phoned them on her behalf but they refused to lift the fine. bloody jobsworths.. it only takes them 2 secs to check the computer to see if the cars been taxed or not.

I'd say call their bluff - refuse to pay the fine and make DVLA take you to court. If they do take you to court all they get is back duty and their costs - they don't get to keep court fines. Given that there will be no back duty in this case, they have absolutely nothing to gain from prosecuting you. I've done that a couple of times with tax exempt motors which I've parked on the street for whatever reason without a valid disc - both times they've dropped the case before it got to court. Mind you, DVLA-baiting was long a favourite pastime of mine - I realise that some people might not want the potential aggro though.

I've heard of people ignoring this type of fine & it gets forgotten about. But its a risk.Unfortunately by paying the 60.00 fine, that could be taken as an admission of guilt.Beyond all that, 3 years ago I picked up my car from the garage following servicing, repairs & an MOT and in the meantime the tax had expired. As the garage shut at 5pm I got away from work early, picked the car up just before closing time, went home, picked up my insurance certfifcate then walked 4-5 mins to the post office to get a new tax disc & returned to find my car ticketed! All within 30 mins!!I went to the police & complained from the angle... what is one supposed to do? After a little deliberation & a wise choice of words from oneself, I was let off with the fine 'on this occasion'.Two weeks later a fine from the DVLA arrived so all I did was enclosed a copy of the confirmation letter from the police & sent it back to them. I think they acknowledged receipt of it but not 100% sure.Personally I'd plead with the DVLA given the circumstances you've posted up on here. Basically you want to prove the fact that you are a law abiding citizen.

Yep on checking the plod fine is failure to display, the other is using a motor vehicle while a sorn is in force.Can anyone think of an angle i can take for a chance-my-arm letter to try and worm out of it? The tax ran out at the end of august.. and this was the start of october.I was hardly "using" the car.. it was parked outside my door! The £60 fine i grudgingly accepted, but £92 extra for the dvla for what is basically the same offence worded a different way is harsh to say the least.

Happened to me outside my house a few years ago, swore heavily and paid. Sorry thats not much help :?

Not quite on the same topic but I'm proud to tell the group that I've just managed to have TWO of my daughter's parking tickets overturned, saving her a putative £240! She drives a 1995 Mini Cooper, and on both occasions the tickets had desrcibed the car's make as "Mini", which clearly, is isn't! Obviously Autoshite must run in the family, as she loves her Rover Mini and wouldn't be seen dead in a B.M.W! Islingon and Barnet councils were the issuing authorities, so if any members are nursing a grievance regarding a parking ticket, take a second look at it...Incidently, I thought I knew what B.M.W. stood for.... but I'm wrong! Apparently it's "bring mechanic with you"!Andrew353w