Channel Island Chod: GM landfill

mk2_craig

That Mk2 Cavalier looks lovely, not seen such a nice one in ages.

Old boy-driven, unsurprisingly. Would be rude of me not to show you what (featured earlier in this thread) was parked next to it...

Posted Image

:D

Early enough to have the old style lights, late enough to be badged Freight Rover

Posted Image

Merc build quality making that Sherpa look pristine by comparison

Posted Image

Posted Image

Carina estate with its fair share of rot.

Posted Image

These getting rare now, this an SXi model.

Posted Image

Occupying the spot where that sadly-departed big Datsun estate was seen last summer, this nearly-matching pair (another, maroon one is behind the car on the left)

Posted Image

Audi rallyshite, love the bark these things make at full tilt.

Posted Image

Dusty Roller

Posted Image

Clubman estate

Posted Image

Guess the tractor contest

Posted Image

Derelict Leyland box van thing

Posted Image

OLD ENGLISH SHITE

Posted Image

Still earning its keep

Posted Image

Very tidy 200-series

Posted Image

American muscle nonsense

Posted Image

Panther Kallista, ooh now that is shite.

Posted Image

Capri looks like it's been drifted into a wall

Posted Image

Posted Image

Been slacking of late when it comes to hunting down mk2 Fiestas. This should make up for it, despite the dreadful alloys

Posted Image

Spot of the week should have been this...

Posted Image

But this wins!

Posted Image

Sorry retro, i dont agree. I cant see Fiat approving a tacky bodykit like that complete with fake testarossa style side strakes. You could buy Abarth tuning gear for your Turbo i.e. That Uno's on Punto Sporting wheels, and i'm sure if the front bumper was fitted it would look even worse!edit:- A bit of research shows the kit to be a HORMANN, more info here..http://www.tracksonline.co.uk/Avanti-mo ... s/body.htm

yep - my memory is going, Hormann is the name! (but maybe some of those were factory built? - as a marketing tool for the Turbo?)Apologies for my failing braincells!!I just remember seeing a pearlescent white one when the Uno Turbo was new and it was such a nicely done job that it looked factory.On a side note, it's ages since I have seen a Dimma kitted 205 or 306 - but thats probably a good thing!

The Uno is definitely a Max Power type project, would've started out stock standard. I had a little traffic-light grand prix against this car some years back in dad's 850 AWD (which knocks out 193bhp) and the little Fiat widdled all over the big Volvo estate. They're only about 1300cc as well I think??

About the Uno, did a company called Mike Spence Motorsport sell them

Yes, I think they did - it's all coming back to me now!!I think they had a garage on the way to Reading on the A327......also did Lancias (of course)All I am saying is they always looked like a very professional job, not your usual filler & fibreglass bodge job (like that Corsa I snapped after a fire a few weeks ago)

Guest greenvanman

Renner 4 van is ace! Back door and rear bumper looks loads better than on mine :roll:

The back door on my old one rotted away, I'd have stuck another on if I could have found one. Those rear bumpers were a problem too - mine didn't have one & the few I found in scrappers were hopeless. I ended up buying two rotten ones and welding them together to make one less crappy one. Even then one of the ends was holed, I solved this by taping over the hole and pouring fibreglass resin in. Peel the tape off, bit of sanding & grey primer and you've got a shite bumper that looks marginally better than no bumper at all :)

• 2 months later...

Time for an update to Jersey Junk and boy do I have some junk for you. I've split the recent sightings into several batches, oldest kit first.

Posted Image

Triumph Herald, not the worst one I've ever seen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Saw this Vanden Plas a couple of times in the same week, modern style UK numberplate font is creeping into Jersey much to my dismay.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Went to the sprints a coupla weekends back, not a lot of interest but this made my fugging day. Badging proudly stated "HEMI", I'd blackmail Max Mosley to get one of these then probably get drunk + do the US equivalent of a Trotter van and Dukes it up.

Posted Image

Pleasingly this box has never been removed from where it's sited, I wonder if my AA key still fits this and what I'll find inside.

Posted Image

Karmann Ghia, always wondered if that was an unofficial name like Beetle was.

Posted Image

Singer-badged Imp, quite pleased to see this, I thought that Minis had driven these to extinction in the Channel Islands.

Posted Image

Lovely LHD 504, looked well tidy.

Posted Image

This Chevette must have been resprayed, black plates ok for pre-76 cars however this one is later and only the original dealer sticker (or remains of) in the back window redeems it in my eyes.

Posted Image

And just for good measure a later two-tone saloon, lush.

Posted Image

I'm told this Minor van has had one owner from new who still uses it as a workhorse. Good for him.

Posted Image

Westminster says the badge, that's all I know about this one but watch out for it at a CLASSIC CAR show near you (me) soon.

Posted Image

Today's tractor tat, a welcome change from the M-F stuff that seems to clog up 90% of overgrown hedgerows over here.

Posted Image

CAT PISS TARP CHALLENGE

Posted Image

Posted Image

Don't think I'd seen one of these Opel coops before, no doubt in line for a resto but some mook's tanned the window.

Posted Image

Rear-engined Renner is my spot of the year so far and the reason why it pays to check out the most obscure corners of housing estates.

Posted Image

Bit of drive-by Sunburst Red mk2 Fiesta action to finish. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Some less venerable vehicles this time round, I've taken to photographing a lot more "borderline" shite on the basis that one day it's in daily use then the next it's KRUSHED, I wonder what percentage of 1999 Perodua Nippas are still on the road for example, though lots here cos I think they were used as bargain basement hire cars for a while - therefore haven't taken to pointing my camera at these just yet.

Posted Image

Nexia, unremarkable except for there's only two on the island (population 90,000 ish) - Daewoos not sold here until some years after the UK launch

Posted Image

Posted Image

Compare-and-contrast Sunny selection

Posted Image

The subject of garishly painted cars and their longevity came up recently, accordingly I don't expect this Lantra to see out the summer

Posted Image

I think there's a couple of these in use as taxis, beware they will die like Tagoras in two years or so

Posted Image

The "TURBO 130" graphics surely not a YRV factory feature?

Posted Image

1990s Metros don't really interest me, but there was something hilarious about the boarded up house. "Don't break into my gaff, but take my car if you must"

Posted Image

Transit mk3 hardly in danger of extinction, though that might change if they all rust like this high-cube example

Posted Image

Posted Image

Would you just look at the state of this LDV Convoy, looks like it was consigned to use as an immobile advert hoarding some time ago now.

Posted Image

Skoda Felicia FUN, settling down to its natural life as a workey's wagon. Wonder if it's still got the comedy sliding rear seat

Posted Image

Posted Image

Honda Passport :shock: For sale, but I think it has since been entered into the local auctions

Posted Image

Brand new amphibian thing, looks like it was designed by a 6 year-old

Posted Image

Two of these Renault coaches on the island, apparently the bodywork was built straight onto standard truck chassis then they immediately had major surgery involving moving the front axle back, fitting automatic transmission and relocating the engine before entering service. Blimey

Posted Image

Lard-arse Kangoo

Posted Image

Mitsubishi looks somewhat home-brewed, hopefully this was originally a pick-up and not cut down from a panel van :roll:

Posted Image

The Fiesta on page 1 of this thread has now gone from where I found it, so here's a similar one (but without a stack of stuff in the back)

We have a couple of Y-reg LDV Convoy minibuses at work and they're already getting that way, they haven't had a hard life, they only do 20-30 miles a day. Pretty woeful things... I enjoy spotting the Austin Rover parts bin bits though, like the Rover 800 column stalks and Maestro instrument panel.

Posted Image

I think there's a couple of these in use as taxis, beware they will die like Tagoras in two years or so

These seem pretty rare to me. One has popped up in my local town identical to this and it took quite a bit of Googling to find out what it was.

Shame its for sale now though and it might disappear from my area. I keep thinking that parts for this thing will be a right ballache to acquire like aforemetioned Tagora, in 20 years time. Uber-future shite imo!

I really like these machines, with their pillarless doors and luxurious interiors, so much, in fact that I bought a Korean Scale model of one about a week ago, with its box printed entirely in said language :D

Those N14 Sunny vans are pretty rare; don't think they sold well when new. The place I worked in 1993 had a brand new one and it was a fairly unusual thing to see even then.

I seem to recall a big fuss in the press because Nissan weren't offering petrol engines in them. Perhaps that's why you still see a lot of the older, round-headlight 1.3 vans? Incidentally, my mate's mum had the estate version of the older van - we called it the White Hearse, and it was a real dog.

Those N14 Sunny vans are pretty rare; don't think they sold well when new. The place I worked in 1993 had a brand new one and it was a fairly unusual thing to see even then.

I seem to recall a big fuss in the press because Nissan weren't offering petrol engines in them. Perhaps that's why you still see a lot of the older, round-headlight 1.3 vans? Incidentally, my mate's mum had the estate version of the older van - we called it the White Hearse, and it was a real dog.
I think the pre-1991 Sunny van has just about died out in Jersey, certainly never seen one though there's a couple of the 5-door wagon on this thread. There are a reasonable amount of the later ones though, Jersey Post had several and DHL still have at least one in use, painted in their latest livery! Must be a fair age now; when did they cease production?