Honda Inshite - now collected - the end.

Asimo

IMG_5333.JPG

Got one at last! and after a long week's wait. £3.5k is a lot for a 70500 miles, fourteen year old Honda but if I was going to do it, this was the one. Seller has kept an exemplary history file which even includes the Autotrader ad he bought it from 11 years ago.

IMG_5349.JPG

Already autumn in Cheltenham.

IMG_5360.JPG

I know the rules.

IMG_5362.JPG

Stats. for the journey home; best digital speedo I have ever seen.

IMG_5370.JPG

Funky alloy spacesaver spare.

IMG_5366.JPG

Boot contained the original Honda radio /cassette and a tin of Honda travel sweets (unopened). Somewhere under the sweetie tin is the original 144volt battery.

IMG_5371.JPG

Three cylinders, 69hp + 13hp of brushless permanent magnet motor.

First impressions: very good driving position, very high gearing (70mph @ 2500rpm), engine extremely quiet except at tickover.

Everything works but it needs an in-depth clean and there are some odd creaking noises on bumps. Headlamps need a polish and the airbag light is on.

I love the engine start: clutch down, turn key and instantly the engine is running. No churning starter, it is just running, thanks to the 13hp flywheel.

Top purchasing and a refreshing change from the norm.  I'm glad these exist, despite not wanting one for myself - although the complicated nature of a hybrid is a little less scary given that Honda screwed it together.  They never seemed to catch on, hidden in the Prius's shadow I suppose.  Shame really, especially as it looks like a concept car from a motorshow rather than a production car.

I loved these when they came out, they were so funky and streamlined looking I really thought they were the future of motoring. Then Toyota fucked up my dreams with the Pious.

Well bought, how long is the temptation to stick a YOVTEC  in there going to last? :)

Absolutely LOVE it! I am sooooo jealous it's untrue! Ever since I got my new Insight I've wanted one of the originals, reading about them on Insight Central has certainly lubricated my 'want' gland. They are so much cleverer than my car, all alloy construction, funky three cylinder engine and Honda build quality. On IC there are cars with 300 thousand miles up, still running well... and still fetching obscene amounts of dosh!

The dash on mine is very similar, just updated and with the added bonus of changing colour depending on how you are driving, but no manual option... but the CR-Z (which I prefer to be honest) has no auto option, but is closer in looks to your Insight, and all the better for it.

My friends keep taking the piss out of me as I am a well known 'petrolhead' and to be running a hybrid when I wanted a Bentley or other big V8 is met with a certain amount of ridicule, but, I think they are extremely interesting and worthy....

The MK1 Insight should have been a much bigger seller but the poxy Pious stole a march while the Honda is a better (and certainly more economical) car.

We NEED much more info and detail.

Oh, and well bought, I don't think you'll ever lose money on the little lass.

Honda lost 6k on every one they sold apparantly . Just wanted to get them out there.

Boring facts . They run on a 0w20 oil . They have special coded spark plugs ,beside each plug ole is a letter . This relates to the way the thread is cut on the plug so that , at the correct torque , the electrode faces the correct way in the combustion chamber.

^^^^^^ A big like to all of the encouraging posts. ^^^^^^

Today I am mostly going to be playing with my new toy.
I must try not to break it, resist the temptation to take it to bits.

IMG_5385.JPG

Not going in there until I have Honda book of truth to hand.

Twosmoke; whats this paperclip trick for the airbag light please?

On 8/29/2014 at 5:29 PM, Junkman said:

Costing more than a real car when new might have hampered sales a bit.

£17k less a £1k bribe from the government(?) certainly was a lot. Ruled me out for a start. However depreciation and a conservative car market is the shiters friend.

Eventually.

3 years and 7434 miles after it was new Honda's official used car website had it up for £10295.

IMG_5397.JPG

A dealer was less ambitious: £8995 in Thames Valley Autotrader 13 November 2003

IMG_5396.JPG

However it sold for just shy of £7k a few weeks later.

IMG_5398.JPG

Last chap didn't do too bad, losing 50% in 11 years!

These are fast becoming super trendy. Jonny Smith the Fifth Gear presenter certainly helps the cause. I think the Insight was lambasted when new for being hugely expensive and massively impractical. I mean, that boot is hilarious. Which is why the family-friendly Prius was always going to be an easier sell to the wannabe environmentalists.

I'd love to try one though. The Insight is far more focussed than the Prius.