Help me find a Daihatsu Cuore?

Matt

Yeah unfortunately so although some seem to be better than others. Look at the amount of it in the wheel arch of this one at a local breakers yard:

$_57.JPG

A shame really as it's got some really rare parts on it: 3-door fabric door cards (which I'll probably buy even though I don't have a car to fit them to), the sunroof, boot spoiler, chrome grille and the five spoke alloys.

$_57.JPG

I wouldn't feel too bad about leaving the "wood" trim for the crusher though.

It needs another air freshner on the gear stick i think. Plastic wood is class, you need it :)

OP asked: What happened to the excellent low miles giffer owned examples?

Answer -The bastard scrappage scheme, a totally criminal waste of some really nice cars that had many years of life remaining. As those that had the money to run a car properly (ie: the old folks) were the pretty much the only ones who had the money to buy new.

(Sorry but it stil gets me wound up)

Take a week's cheap holiday in Bournemouth, or Christchurch  - 

you'll be able to locate a fleet of them to ship back up north !  :-P

HOW MUCH...??!?

:blink2:

Seems salty to me as well, patience is the key here. I'm sure one will pop up much cheaper. OK this has had more bangs than John Wayne's gun but it looks ok mechanically.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-DAIHATSU-CUORE-EL-SILVER-/141444362526?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20eebdb11e

Aye the price is a bit questionable and it's not helped by all the very cheap ones that are available. I've seen them advertised for a lot more though, I'm sure I've seen a few advertised for over two grand. Take a look at some Perodua Kelisa's for sale, the are often advertised upward of two grand too. Like I said the rear quarter on that one needs a bit of work but that's a bargaining point as far as I'm concerned.

You are right about patience being the key, I've been looking for probably more than a year and I've seen plenty of really nasty ones come and go from the market.

Have you seen this one?

Yes but the tide marks and presumably massive patches on the sill ends don't tell me good things about the state the rest of the car might be in.

OP asked: What happened to the excellent low miles giffer owned examples?

Answer -The bastard scrappage scheme, a totally criminal waste of some really nice cars that had many years of life remaining. As those that had the money to run a car properly (ie: the old folks) were the pretty much the only ones who had the money to buy new.

(Sorry but it stil gets me wound up)

According to this:List of vehicles scrapped under the Scrappage Scheme

301 Cuores were scrapped.

That's more than half of the ones on the road today! (howmanyleft.com)

• 7 months later...

I think FOAD may be pulling your leg a bit here in relation to your specific requirements, as there have been a lot of these shunned on the basis of sometimes trivial issues. They weren't great sellers in their day, especially in 3 door from memory, so finding the ideal colour/door count/condition may take a while. That said, I wouldn't want a Visa if it wasn't a GTi but a 5 door Cuore isn't going to be any slower than a 3 door, for instance. Would owning a red one be better than not owning a silver one? You can always buy another when it comes available, as I guess an insurance friendly small Japanese car will always sell.

But 4 owners in 14 years and 46k doesn't sound too high a proportion to me; how long have you owned your current car? Less than 3 and a half years? I could conceivably see the appeal of a cooking Cuore wearing thin after 3 and a half years an 11500 miles average. That said, good call for contacting the owners as vetting the car over the phone would at least save a willing 'shiter's time being wasted if the car's in another part of the country and is a bit crap.

But it's a £350 small car - how badly can you get stung in the whole deal? Bloody well live a little!

Right, having just returned from Jersey I can categorically state that they have all of them, every single one - it was like Volvos in Scotland.

I must have seen 15 of them in a week, some of them multiple times. Amazingly, they weren't all pure rust either considering the salt in the air - though I guess they don't salt the roads there in the winter so they don't dissolve from below.

More Cuore's than I've seen in the UK in the last 4 years. Go there and pick one up, probably quite reasonably too.