Help me find a Daihatsu Cuore?

Matt

Evnin'

I have been trying to find a good Daihatsu Cuore for the best part of a year and have had very little luck finding any that are suitable for my needs (I'm picky, it's my own fault) but the itch is still there. So I ask that if you find yourself near any used car dealerships to have a nosey, see one for sale by the side of the road or otherwise learn of one for sale that meets my criteria then please let me know, I'd appreciate it greatly!

The car I am looking for must be:

- 1998 - 2002 Daihatsu Cuore
- Good record of it being serviced properly (they eat piston rings if not serviced properly)
- No or minimal rust
- Sub ~60,000 miles
- Three-door
- Silver

Desirables attributes would be:
- Facelift model (different front bumper, cable operated filler flap, clear rear indicators)
- Registered on or after January 1st 2001 (cheaper tax!)
- Low number of previous owners.

Where are all the low milers with one little old lady owner!? These cars should be right up their street!  :-(

The 'no or minimal rust' thing may be tricky. Shame as they're bonny little things. A Perodua Nippa is surely what you really want?

Yeah unfortunately so although some seem to be better than others. Look at the amount of it in the wheel arch of this one at a local breakers yard:

$_57.JPG

A shame really as it's got some really rare parts on it: 3-door fabric door cards (which I'll probably buy even though I don't have a car to fit them to), the sunroof, boot spoiler, chrome grille and the five spoke alloys.

$_57.JPG

I wouldn't feel too bad about leaving the "wood" trim for the crusher though.

You're too picky, just buy the first one you see to keep you going until you can find the one you really want .... That's what I usually do.

I've had 3 Mira\Cuores, all were the slightly earlier L5** series  and from 1998(ish) with 660cc turbo motors, all were gr11.

Any reason you want an n/a L7 instead of a turbo L5?

You're too picky, just buy the first one you see to keep you going until you can find the one you really want .... That's what I usually do.

I've had 3 Mira\Cuores, all were the slightly earlier L5** series  and from 1998(ish) with 660cc turbo motors, all were gr11.

Any reason you want an n/a L7 instead of a turbo L5?

I know I am but I'm sure the right one is out there somewhere, I've seen a few ones I would buy (but often too far away). That's the reason I'm in the Swift, it was cheap and local so will keep me going until I find something I actually want.

The L500 Avanzato is cool and I wouldn't mind one but I think the L700 is a far better looking car plus the idea behind getting an L700 is the scope for OEM+ type modification looks to be pretty big. As far as I can work out the Sirion has loads of bits that will bolt straight onto a Cuore like the interior, electrically adjustable & folding door mirrors, 1300cc engine, wheels and the Perodua Kelisa has a much smarter arse than the Cuore which should be a direct swap too.

You'd have been better sticking with Polos instead of this shite!

Good cars but I'm going to try and avoid owing the same model of car more than once. The only old Polo I'll probably ever own from now is my former G reg Ranger. The current owner will let me know if/when she comes to sell it and I'll almost certainly take it if I can.

+1 on Cuores being awesome. We had one for a bit and it was a hoot to drive - it leaned like mad but kept on gripping, in the SNOKAOS we had several years back it was ace, its skinny tyres did a great job when massive saloons literally couldn't move.

S201 UKL was (I believe, thanks to documentary evidence from google image search) a UK demonstrator, it had the powerhouse* 989cc triple and went like stink. Massively flimsy and you'd die instantly in any collision above 0,000000000000000000000000001mph but when pressing on they  make you feel like a rally hero!

We loved it, though by the looks of it, its been scrapped, which is a shame, but it was rusty as fuck when we had it, and that was 3 years ago now.

+1 on Cuores being awesome. We had one for a bit and it was a hoot to drive - it leaned like mad but kept on gripping, in the SNOKAOS we had several years back it was ace, its skinny tyres did a great job when massive saloons literally couldn't move.

S201 UKL was (I believe, thanks to documentary evidence from google image search) a UK demonstrator, it had the powerhouse* 989cc triple and went like stink. Massively flimsy and you'd die instantly in any collision above 0,000000000000000000000000001mph but when pressing on they  make you feel like a rally hero!

We loved it, though by the looks of it, its been scrapped, which is a shame, but it was rusty as fuck when we had it, and that was 3 years ago now.

I think there are still a couple of other UK press ones around.

mate bought an silver R reg 1 owner 3 pot with 30K on it for £400 couple of months back only missing parcel shelf.

had a small plate on rear end of both sills.

The ends of the sills seem to be a common place for them, and loads of older cars, to go first. Fairly easy to repair so hardly a death sentence in many cases thankfully.

Just seen this ad in my local paper, (blackpool area)

Daihatsu cuore 850CC

1998 S registered genuine 29000 miles 2 owners,

Long mot, good condition

695 Ono, Px either way.

Can PM you the phone no if it's of interest.

Just seen this ad in my local paper, (blackpool area)

Daihatsu cuore 850CC

1998 S registered genuine 29000 miles 2 owners,

Long mot, good condition

695 Ono, Px either way.

Can PM you the phone no if it's of interest.

850cc? Sounds like a previous generation model to me.

I believe* they came in 850 and 989cc guises. Ours was a 989cc, but all the insurance quote sites reckoned it was an 850cc one. OMG149CCEXTRAPOWAAAA

I can't imagine there is a lot between them in all honesty. Presumably there is some kind of tax break for cars under 850cc somewhere that there's a big enough market for them that it matters? 

I believe* they came in 850 and 989cc guises. Ours was a 989cc, but all the insurance quote sites reckoned it was an 850cc one. OMG149CCEXTRAPOWAAAA

I can't imagine there is a lot between them in all honesty. Presumably there is some kind of tax break for cars under 850cc somewhere that there's a big enough market for them that it matters? 

That'd be news to me so I'm going to call that wrong. The L500 may have been 850ishcc but I am 99.9999998% sure that the L700 was 989cc only in the UK (54.3bhp!) and 658/659cc in Japan sometimes with a turbo, sometimes not, sometimes 4WD, sometimes not. I'm sure that the L500 was available in Japan with 4 wheel steering too.

Just looked it up, it seems that the 847cc engine was initially going to be the export engine but it was dropped in favour of the 989cc one we got but Perodua went on to use the 847cc. Switzerland got a 796cc version of that 847cc engine though.

The three pot ef-rl turbo heads allegedly bolt on to the 850cc block to make much power.

They use them for drag racing in Malaysia. I am not joking.

Now that's drag racing I would watch. There are a bunch of YRV Turbo converted ones in Malaysia which I'm sure would rule the roost.

Wrong colour, too many doors and nowhere near Scotland, but I've just heard of a pogweasel pink giffer-owned Y-reg 5-door Cuore possibly going on the market near me. Don't know much about it but could find out if you're interested.

A pink Cuore? Sure it's not a later Charade? Might be an L500 Cuore.

Nope, definitely a Cuore very much like this one

It was red once upon a time but has faded badly to a dull pink, apart from that it doesn't look too bad.

Oh I see. Yeah, wrong colour, wrong number of doors, not really worth it.

There's a yellow one 51 plate one, done 60k on eBay for £600 but it's in Kent.

And a red Y plate one in Durham on about 90k for £695.

It only comes in moredoor, but I think it'd be handy for you to know (if you don't already) that the Perodua Kelisa is the same car with a different front bumper and lights.

There's one on an 02 plate in silver on eBay for £495: 60k, but in Walton-on-Thames, and a couple of later ones (as new as 55 plate!) up for £1.5k.

There's a yellow one 51 plate one, done 60k on eBay for £600 but it's in Kent.

And a red Y plate one in Durham on about 90k for £695.

It only comes in moredoor, but I think it'd be handy for you to know (if you don't already) that the Perodua Kelisa is the same car with a different front bumper and lights.

There's one on an 02 plate in silver on eBay for £495: 60k, but in Walton-on-Thames, and a couple of later ones (as new as 55 plate!) up for £1.5k.

Yellow ones are interesting, there doesn't seem to be many around, terrible colour for them though (as is that nasty light green). They are as you say the same car but I really don't much care for them. All they are good for to me are a source for a better rear bumper, tailgate and facelift rear light clusters.

Stock:

2000_Daihatsu_Cuore_5926390.jpg

Kelisa:

Perodua_Kelisa_(first_facelift)_(rear),_

It'd be worth noting that I'm checking Auto Trader, Car and Classic, Ebay, Gumtree, Exchange and Mart, Piston Heads, Vcars/AA Cars and Daihatsu Drivers UK daily for new ones coming up for sale online so if someone sees one on there then I've probably seen it already.

OP asked: What happened to the excellent low miles giffer owned examples?

Answer -The bastard scrappage scheme, a totally criminal waste of some really nice cars that had many years of life remaining. As those that had the money to run a car properly (ie: the old folks) were the pretty much the only ones who had the money to buy new.

(Sorry but it stil gets me wound up)

Just found another website to keep an eye on though which is no bad thing (other than having to potentially import a pay hideously high ferry fees). I don't think mainland UK got black ones which is an interesting difference.

• 3 months later...

Anyone around the Cheltenham area up for having a look at this one on my behalf so I don't treck down there to find that it's junk? I'm a bit worried that it allegedly has 23k miles but five owners and "service history" is a bit vague for my liking. Yes the right-rear quarter is a bit jacked up but that's mendable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261706608481

$_57.JPG