For Sale - Renner Avantime 2.0 pez turbo £1950

cort16

Yo. My brand new and boring daily is in bound in a few weeks and because this is too new I can't have in a classic policy. I can't justify a full policy on it just to drive it once and a while so I'm sticking it up for sale. It'll not be available until around the 20th of September as I need it until then.

I've done 3,500 miles in it since I got it using it on 70 mile a day commute to Glasgow and it's been great. The engine is a 2.0 turbo with about 160bhp with a 6 speed gearbox. Because it's mostly plastic it's pretty light so goes well and I've been getting 33mpg on my motorway commute to work.

stuff

MOT June 2015

Tax: Oct 2014

Mileage: 85,000 but rising

It had the timing belt done with new tensioners at 72,000 miles. You can do the belt on these through the wheel arch unlike the 3.0, which requires the engine to come out. Nice one. It also has full service history mixed between Renault and independants.

The car is in great shape there's some blebs on the aluminium roof bars, there's a bit of laquer peel on the bumper (very small) but other than that it;s really clean. The previous owner was really into them and took great care of it. It really is very clean for its age.

The history with this one is its one of the taylor made fleet. Basically a computer company bought a fleet of them and had them all resprayed from new in monaco blue, which is darker than the blue they normally came in.

Interior wise it's pretty nice. Everything works other than the led back light on the rev counter. I have instructions on how to fix it but I can't be bothered. The seats are half leather and the drivers seat has cracked. Not great bit its not split open or anything. All the windows, switches and everything else works. I've also just had the aircon re-gassed so it's icey cold.

Since I've had it all I've done is replace a strut top mount and bearing and had the aircon regassed. There's a clunk from a ball joint at full lock but it;s £12 for the ball joint and doesn't look to bad to change. I've not done it as I'm using it all the time. It can sometimes feel a bit lumpy when cold but it could just be my imagination. There's a chip in the screen. Its been through it's last few mot's like this and looks like it could be fixed. That'd probably be worth doing as these screens are made out of unoptainium.

Basically it's a really well looked after Avantime. It's had the belt done, all the electric works and the body is in great shape. It's usable as a daily as gets decent mpg and has isofix, airbags and a massive boot. I recon I'll be kicking myself for selling it as its such a good one but I just can't justify keeping it :(

I think 1950 is a fair price for it. I might px something interesting I could put on a classic policy.

I've probably missed something so just ask.

14420967480_5882f5733f_c.jpgIMG_1341 by cort16, on Flickr

14420961360_5ca1ff3e51_c.jpgIMG_1343 by cort16, on Flickr

14627666093_ee27059be3_c.jpgIMG_1344 by cort16, on Flickr

If anyone is umming and arring about Avantiming

GET ON WITH IT

Before they all get old. (And the Renaultness gets to be too much)

They are very special.

My Daughter said mine was a "Freddy Mercury space-pod" sort of car.

My wife said it was "gratuitously ostentatious"

If they had a Chevy V8/Hydramatic they'd be perfect.

Go for it!

i've just been on my holidays in this and it performed well. The boot is huge and i filled it all with baby shite, which is making me doubt my new car choice. Fuck it, it's too late now I'll just need to buy a roof box.

It picked up an odd misfire while I was away so I've now changed the plugs (platinum jobs) and it's running nice again. On the downside the aircon leaked and it's not cold any more.

Buy mine and R9UKES and you and your partner can have matching cars.

Looks well smart that - what is the cut off for Classic car insurance now?? The BMW E36 i bought on Monday has gone on a classic policy?? I was like WTF its a 1998 S reg but it came up the cheapest so I wont complain. Obvs this Avantime is newer but they only requested that I have use of another car.

• 1 month later...

I bought it in the end.

Paid the deposit unseen, and drove 400 miles to collect. Definitely an impulse purchase, and proof that you should NEVER take buying advice from me.

Still, I love it, and next week, I'm heading off to the south of France (once I've bought new tyres and fixed the air con) for a week's wine drinking and buying in it. Brave? Maybe, but that's how I roll. I'll keep you posted, assuming anyone's interested, but for now I think it may well be the youngest car in quite some time to feature regularly in a classic car title. We shall see.

Oh, you can be assured we're still interested!  Well bought Mr A.

An Avantime is firmly on my to-do list and this one looks absolutely spot on.  Living the dream vicariously through others, though, is possibly the best way with Renaults of a certain age (says he having just invested* in an R16).

• 2 months later...

Xantai-and-Avantime-600x338.jpg

Thanks to various logistical issues, and the need for reasonably clear parking where I live, today was the first time that I managed to get my freshly titavated Citroen Xantia Activa and Renault Avantime alongside each other. Given that they’re so vastly different in every way, I still can’t believe how both actually complement each other as well as they do.

The question has to be: why?

One is neat, anonymous, efficient and has otherworldly dynamic prowess. The other is flamboyant and baffling. And in their own uniquely Gallic way, both are tremendously satisfying to drive. The Avantime, we all know about – it’s a brave and ultimately doomed idea of combining a capable MPV platform with coupe pretentions to create a car that majors on luxury space for its decadent owner.

And I love it – from the double-folding doors, to the commanding driving position, via the surpisingly capable dynamics. All that it really needs is a little more performance, something I should look into via a remap in the New Year. It took a drive to the South of France to properly bond with it, but the best cars will do that to you.

The Xantia is something else entirely. It’s ignored as much as the Avantime is gawped at, and most people assume it’s a lardy diesel, so won’t go very quickly. How wrong they are – consider it a motorised Superman, except that Clark Kent never did put on his multi-coloured tights. So, it’s an engineer’s car – proof that active suspension is the only way to go – such a shame that Citroen bottled it, and never followed up the concept.

The dream would be to combine the two cars – an Avantime with the Xantia’s suspension set-up would be a formidable vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...