ALL INSURE ANTS COMPANIES ARE B4A5TARDS

Partridge

I took out a black box policy for the Polo. Seem as I drive like an 80 year old, and I like the fact a black box can be used as a tracker should the car get half inched, I assumed it would be worth doing.

Direct Line said doing so would take £70 quid off my policy, taking it down to about 400 quid.

The deal was I'd pay the £400, get insured and they would then send me the paperwork through regarding the black box. If I decided I didn't want one, I'd just pay the extra £70 and that would be the end of it.

Anyway...I have the aforementioned paperwork in front of me and have decided it's too big brother, and Mr Black box can do one. I rang them up and got them to cancel the black box, but they now say I have to pay £130, not £70. "Because their prices change all the time." An 80% increase in about four days? Jog on.

I'm well pissed off because that will mean I'll have to skimp on food for a few weeks, to insure a car I fucking hate.

I thought anyone who was thinking of the black box route should be aware of this.

Sounds like s load of balls, tell em you're taking advantage of the cooling off period and they can take your £70 or FRO.

That's a good way of putting it...I've just said words pretty much to that effect (minus the "F" in "FRO")...I'm now waiting for them to ring back...they ave given no indication when mind you!

Tell them you're prepared to pay £70 and that THEY have a 7-day cooling off period during which they can decide if they want to accept it. If you've heard nowt after a week warn them you'll send the £70 then it will not be possible to amend unless they pay you a £25 admin fee.

From personal experience I can say that a stern email saying that you are unhappy and that you will be changing companies sharpish gets them in a bit of a panic. I renewed one year and they asked if I was still in college, no I said, 'well that will put an increase on your policy', £270(ish) extra as it turned out which brought it up to over £800, the most I have ever paid for car insurance.

A couple of days later I got an email saying that they were going to refund me £75, presumably to try and keep me with them. I told them I was going to be changing company regardless. Another couple of days pass and I get a phone call from them, a British speaking girl (I'm guessing someone higher up caught wind of my email as I normally get Indians for regular calls and Canadians for renewals - never British call centres). She said that she would make some "adjustments" to my policy but that she "really shouldn't do this" as too much time had passed since I had renewed (buuul-shiiit) and they ended up refunding me another £200 or so.

Not going to college anymore = less driving, less leaving my car in a busy car park, less clownish teenage friends in the car but I'm at greater risk of damaging the car? I was so close to literally telling them to suck a dick.

So my advice is let them know you are thoroughly unhappy with the 80% increase, it might make them think twice.

This is probably not the best place to put this, but I'm gonna jam it in anyway.

I have been running the exact same quote through Confoooooooooozed.com twice every week for two months. I changes nowt but the start date of the policy.

Same car, same curcumstances, blah blar blaugh.

I have been (lowerest) quoted everything from £398 up to £1400. And in no particular order.

Overrun suggests the calculation technique maybe to place a blindfolded monkey-animal on an office chair which is then spun round a random number of times before the wittless shitmonkey is forced to pull a numbered ball out of sack.

Like the Isle of Mann lottery.

But with insurance and not turnips/wives.

Verily they are all indeed front bottoms of the lady variety.   Good advice about Morris Minors - I insure all 3 of my oxen-emblazoned ferrous oxide farms for the same price as a bus-pass holder does for one miserable European hatchback.    Telling them they can poke their extras, "roadside" recovery, stupid pointless "legal aid" and rubbish instalment plans keeps the cost down, too.   They are like some Dickensian vulture and I hate them.

This is probably not the best place to put this, but I'm gonna jam it in anyway.

I have been running the exact same quote through Confoooooooooozed.com twice every week for two months. I changes nowt but the start date of the policy.

Same car, same curcumstances, blah blar blaugh.

I have been (lowerest) quoted everything from £398 up to £1400. And in no particular order.

Overrun suggests the calculation technique maybe to place a blindfolded monkey-animal on an office chair which is then spun round a random number of times before the wittless shitmonkey is forced to pull a numbered ball out of sack.

Like the Isle of Mann lottery.

But with insurance and not turnips/wives.

If there is some way of blaming the fluctuations in price on immigrants you should keep records of your results and send them into the Daily Mail as you could get paid for this.

Guest 1madboiler

What you have to remember here is that Insurance companies are just Bookies, they lower the odds or lengthen them according to how much risk they have taken on that day, when you said you were accepting their offer of a black box a set of parameters provided you with a quote that was acceptable, you then chose not to use the black box so another set of parameters quoted you again. Cancel the policy within the cooling off period and get a requote, you should also get quotes on a morning because if one particular company is quoting low you can bet that their allocation will go quickly and that price wont be repeated. Whenever you get a quote on line that you are happy with keep the reference no, continue shopping around and then call the company who you are happy with and quote the ref no. otherwise you will be quoted at the rates when you call.I know this because I sell insurance and personal experience.

Sorting insurance today: the broker told me that as of yesterday, none of the companies they represent will accept business on any driver with a conviction for phone use whilst driving.

Third party only to win!

What you have to remember here is that Insurance companies are just Bookies, they lower the odds or lengthen them according to how much risk they have taken on that day, when you said you were accepting their offer of a black box a set of parameters provided you with a quote that was acceptable, you then chose not to use the black box so another set of parameters quoted you again. Cancel the policy within the cooling off period and get a requote, you should also get quotes on a morning because if one particular company is quoting low you can bet that their allocation will go quickly and that price wont be repeated. Whenever you get a quote on line that you are happy with keep the reference no, continue shopping around and then call the company who you are happy with and quote the ref no. otherwise you will be quoted at the rates when you call.I know this because I sell insurance and personal experience.

That is actually very useful and interesting to know!

After a lot of moaning, and mentioning the word "complaint" they agreed to let me have the original reduction, minus £3! No longer pissed off.

PARTRIDGE SAVED £60 ON HIS CAR INSURANCE AND NOW HE FEELS EPIC.

Guest 1madboiler

How much for 20 litres of personal experience?

Delivered. Cash waiting.

As your local...£50 and a FREE policy but thats a monthly premium :D

I've just come back from holiday. Only a little over two weeks in August, but on my return there were three letters from the insurance company relating to the same policy on the same vehicle.

It's a limited mileage policy. The first letter said that they didn't have a record of the car's mileage and please could I provide it? The second letter was a reminder - Y U NO SEND MILEAGE? - and the third letter explained with regret that as they hadn't received the mileage information, my policy had been cancelled.

Cheers - three letters within a fortnight, in August when plenty of people go away for a fortnight, and now I've got an uninsured vehicle which technically could get me in trouble could it not, nowadays?

Email, do not call.

"Dear insurance tossers

As with many people at this time of year, I returned today from a two-week holiday to find your three letters (dated X, Y and Z) awaiting my attention.  In the circumstances, the timescale applied to the series of letters was unreasonable, and I am now in a position to provide the information you require. 

On the date of your first letter, the mileage of was .  It remains so. / It is now . (as applicable)

Please acknowledge this email by return and confirm that my policy has been reinstated on the originally agreed terms.

Yours,

Mr. Livered"

You may wish to edit slightly...