Broken Aldi Coupe 2.6

HillmanImp

As you may know from the various posts the Aldi 2.6e broke down in April outside the MOT test centre. 

15034039532_81c5388fb7.jpg1398671955419 by Afalseicon, on Flickr

I rang the RAC who are a bunch of knobs and could not fix it. Thats fine, but the annoying thing is that they would not move it either as it was not taxed (of course it wasn't taxed I am taking it for its MOT so that I can tax it looooosers). 

As it could not be moved I had no choice but to drag it round the corner to the local shifty garage to see if they could fudge it together. Sadly they couldn't and charged me £120 for the simple task of changing a crank sensor. 

So I rang up Volksworks who in my past experience have been quite good. They said they could not look at it for a week but thats fine, I thought as long as I get it away from KD Bros.

Sadly Volksworks turned out to be a bit shit as I don't think they could be arsed with it they probably make all their money from servicing taxi's these days and something without a diagnostic plug in is just taking them away from where they make their bread. After over a month they said they have figured out it needs a new ECU but they could not find one. So I bought one after looking online for 5 minutes and took it down. However this did not solve the problem. Over 2 months later it was still  not working so I dragged it off to the expensive but apparently very capable IVC. 

When I went to collect it I noticed a lot of water in the drivers footwell. It has always leaked as there are two rubber seals at the back of each door that have perished. Its not a lot but it does collect water in there after heavy rain. The lad at Volksworks pointed out the puddle suggesting that there is a leak coming through the dash and and I said, its never leaked there before (which it hadn't), that's odd, thinking that its maybe just collected there as the car is on a slope or something. 

IVC have had the car a fortnight now. They can't get it running. They have diagnosed what the original fault was, it was a bad earth on the coil pack. However either KD Bros or Volksworks had left the fuse box open and it had resulted in lots of water getting in the electrics and its borked.

I am pretty gutted as I did like this car but really cannot be arsed with another project (and am lacking in patience and ability) as need a car for longer journeys (as comfy as the seats are in the Visa I ain't driving it more than 100 miles in a hurry) so am picking up a XJ8 tomorrow so the Aldi is going to have to go. 

Its in good condition. A bit of rust bubbling up in the front arches but nothing too bad and a scrape on the NS bumper and  little bit of the arch where I crashed into the side of the house much to the amusement of Volksy, a bit of the trim needs refitting and a clip has broken on the rear bumper but is not really noticable. 

It just had a new cambelt a few months back, tow brand new tyres on the front, a new battery (the latter two of these literally a week before the MOT). It also has a pretty good service history going back to the turn of the century.

Basically I am happy giving the car away to a recognised forum member who is able to fix it up. Alternatively if someone wants to break it I am happy parting with it for £130 (which is less than I paid for the tyres) which is £20 less than what I have been offered for scrap - see how fucking generous I am. TBH I will probably be donating this to MND assoc. as the birds dad is dying of this shizzle. 

If you do take it to get it back running and you cant and scrap it I would hope that the person who does it would donate half the money to charity on my behalf but I suppose that depends on how broke they are and how much they have chucked at it so I am not throwing a guilt trip there, its totally up to them.  

Here are some library pictures of the car:

15031460771_ef1d1074a7.jpgAudiCoupe3 by Afalseicon, on Flickr

15031460881_8384b18cc4.jpgAudiCoupe2 by Afalseicon, on Flickr

14847871890_5e24bd9c79.jpgAudiCoupe1 by Afalseicon, on Flickr

14847871430_a35a1dd699.jpgAudiGT6Visa by Afalseicon, on Flickr

Car is located in Hunslet Leeds at IVC and will probably want moving pretty sharpish. Contact me via PM or o7 7  2 522  13 36 if you have any questions. 

Scotty.

Someone on here?

I know "Volksy" here has had a bad experience with them, but I have heard recommendations for "Smashing VW's", a VAG workshop who I think are still in Hunslet, Leeds.

They sell parts and know stuff, as well as fixing and MOTing.

Someone on here?

I know "Volksy" here has had a bad experience with them, but I have heard recommendations for "Smashing VW's", a VAG workshop who I think are still in Hunslet, Leeds.

They sell parts and know stuff, as well as fixing and MOTing.

I know Smashing, I have been to them a few times for bits and bobs. They have moved recently (or closed the site I used to use) but they are still in Hunslet. Volksy told me that he was unhappy with them selling him a borked engine many years ago but he still uses them from time to time I think he would just avoid buying an engine from them again.

I did ring them up a few weeks ago for a scrap price. Shortly after that I rang them back and asked them to mend it first and after putting the phone down realised that I did that the wrong way round, as there was no real incentive for them to mend it if they knew I was looking at scrapping it so took it to IVC instead.

Anyhow glad its going to get another chance at staying on the road.  

One of your photos shows a tantalizing view of your Visa have you some others you can post up please.

Here you go.  

http://autoshite.com/topic/14986-meg-the-visa/

The Visa has been my daily for 9 months now and is simply brilliant. Needs a good service so its coming off the road for a bit to get a bit of fettling and get it looking and sounding a little healthier.