Dacia Denem / Shifter

Rmx

Hello all,

My name is Alex and having come across your forum I am hoping you all might be able to help/guide. I am looking for a Dacia Denem, its condition does not matter to me as long is it has been registered in the UK and I can therefore apply for the logbook.

Most of you would be intrigued as to the reason behind this quest, and especially why such a terrible car...........well the reason is this, my old man used to have a few back in Romania. He moved here over 20 years ago and every time we speak about cars, he seems very fond of them. Yes most of us drive MUCH MUCH better cars, british, german, french, japanese......infact any car would probably be better than a Dacia Denem but back in his days those were the only vehicles he had access to. I remember seeing pictures of him, stripping them down and carrying out complete restoration including re-shelling a few too so its safe to say he knows a few things about them.

I know I am probably looking for a needle in a VERY VERY big hay stack however if anyone knows of any Dacias, be them abandoned in a barn or a field please let me know. I am looking to get one, restore it and possibly give it to him as a present on his next birthday.

His last one was a Dacia 1410, with a special dashboard called "CN" and special door handles, only fitted to Dacia's built for the Canadian market.

Many thanks,

Alex

Your dad sounds like a bit of a hero - good luck in your quest.  Nobody on here will think this is a strange idea, just a very good one.  If you succeed we will get very excited and want lots of photos.

I wonder if it might be easier to source one in Romania and import it?  The DVLA (via howmanyleft.co.uk) thinks they're extinct, which we know is an exaggeration but they'll still be very rare here.  There are people on here who can advise on how to do this from a practical and legal point of view.

Paging Mr Bollox, Nigel Bickle, Ratdat - please come to the information desk in the entrance hall.

Importing one would be easier indeed, however finding a right hand drive UK registered is what i'm most keen on. Yeah I've seen that according to the DVLA Records, they are all "extinct" however I am hoping, maybe just maybe there may be a few left.

Even the red Shifter that Sam was selling would be great, but I am yet to hear back from him to see if its still for sale or not.

Yes be sure, there will be MANY MANY pictures put up for you all to see and and if I am lucky enough to get my hands on one, once its road worthy, it will most definitely make an appearance at your regular meeting (I presume members meet up now and again!?)  

Don't worry about that!  Setting off with total uncertainty about getting there is totally the Autoshite way, we've all done it and many continue to do so.  Welcome and good luck.  Have you looked at the Eastern Bloc Cars group on Facebook?

I reckon you might struggle to find a proper, UK car tbh. Theres probably one or two out there, laid up somewhere but you've probably got a better chance of finding Elvis riding Shergar chasing a unicorn down the high street in all honesty.

Good luck though, I'd love to see a proper UK Denem.

Yeah spoke to them a few weeks back, and they can't help with a whole car but will be able to help with parts.

Well if I do get one, I guess most of you will be a tad jealous......think it will even put my 530d to shame :-)

Stand to be corrected but I think I read Kelly's are closing soon-ish. Any fans of rare stuff like this might be advised to raid whatever parts they can, assuming that they are shutting of course.

Shaun1836B, are you still on here, mate? Maybe you can enlighten us more about Kelly's, please?

A Renault 12 is something I would be interested in also, however since my quest for a Dacia Denem has only started recently......I need to make sure I search high and dry before getting a Rennie. There must be someone that's seen one out there somewhere.....

BAD NEWS - Turns out the Shifter advertised by Sam has sold after all, its been awaiting collection for a while so maybe the new owner has changed his mind and doesn't want it anymore........I can only pray, because the seems the Shifter is even rarer than a Denem  :-D

Thought I'd have a look on ebay.  There are lots of people selling wheel bearings, spark plugs, brake parts - even lots of specially drilled discs for high performance or some twaddle like that.

I suppose they always have to try to flog their bits but seems a shade optimistic given how many are not left.......... still when you find one, good to know they're there and ready for you!

You'll be waiting a while longer I reckon. Have you set up the emails to come from Ebay when one is listed?

Remember to arrange it for "classic cars" as well as "cars" - two different categories.

Hey, if you wait long enough (35 years?), you'll be able to buy yourself a big-ass 3D printer for 99p, and print yourself a new Dacia Denem!

To be honest I didn't even know you could set up emails that would alert you....... I shall do my homework on how you do it and set it up.

We're they only sold in the late 80's over here!? If they only sold a few hundred, I am beginning to understand my quest shall be a very long one........ :-(