AMM - Ford Transit 2.5DI Camper conversion SOLD

The Moog

Welcome to the first meeting of the Accrington Minibus Massive.

At the back of the room you will find some sandwiches.. bit of an issue with the cheese and ham, but help yourself to the loaf of bread.

Today the founder, only member and runner up in the AMM sexiest man poll - The Moog, is going to present us with a special slide show.

Over to you Mr Moog

Thank you Mr Moog.

A couple of days ago a tantalising beast was advertised for sale on AS - a 1989 Transit Minibus. After consulting Mrs Moog (who gave it a double thumbs up) Pm's were exchanged and issuance people talked to. Getting minibus insurance was almost impossible, although if I removed the seats it becomes a van and that can be insured. A loophole was found that if the vehicle had only 8 seats then day insurance would be allowance.

After a discussion with Andy, slave labour (aka the apprentice) was offered to help remove the seats and then this happened
post-3994-0-72783700-1408704046_thumb.jpg
All that travel for the princely sum of £16.50. Bargainlicious. First train was a scabby Northern Rail train (no photos as locals werent friendly), but then at Preston I entered the luxurious age of the train
post-3994-0-49374700-1408704110_thumb.jpg
Knowing my journey home may be noisier than a jumbo taking off I travelled in silence
post-3994-0-33422800-1408704215_thumb.jpg
Vistiting the Water Closet found this delightful sign
post-3994-0-53310200-1408704181_thumb.jpg
Speeding through lots of this
post-3994-0-27938200-1408704264_thumb.jpg
post-3994-0-52855200-1408704266_thumb.jpg

Once at Glasgow, one of the famed SVM members met me in the soon to be mine carriage.
Back at the garage everyone couldnt wait to tell me what a great van it was and were even more impressed when I told them I had Missus Moog's blessing.

Seats were attempted to be removed but the floor fixings needed someone underneath to unbolt them. With time at a premium, we decided this turned them into non seats
post-3994-0-56904900-1408705016_thumb.jpg

English cash monies handed over and in return received some page, a key and what was known as The Popemobile. Scottish hospitality was offered and the tank was topped up for free before I left. A really nice gesture :-)

Andy added a finishing touch which turned the bus into even more of a pussy wagon
post-3994-0-59678300-1408705745_thumb.jpg

Journey home was a mix of 80% rain followed by 10% sunshine and 10% inbetween. To add to the fun factor side gusts of wind meant some lane tango would happen if not paying attention.
post-3994-0-00205000-1408704480_thumb.jpg
post-3994-0-33691500-1408704485_thumb.jpg

Luckily the noise of the van worked well to keep me awake, in the way that no one sleeps at a motorhead gig. Mind you the stereo goes really loud!

Top speed (no matter what) is indicated 62mph and gps 60mph. That was even downhill foot flat to floor.
The box fitted to the van doesnt suit it for motorways as 1st is not really used, 2nd is good, 3rd is a bit namby pamby and 4th screams at 60.

No diesel needed but i stopped to see if could deal with the noise that sounded like the exhaust about to explode on overrun. So petrol station pic
post-3994-0-98253900-1408704732_thumb.jpg

The journey took around 4 hours, which wasnt too bad

After presenting the beast to Missus Moog, it was met with a smile and then a big discussion about how we could turn it into a camper.

This morning (rather than preparing for visitors) I turn my attention to the AMM vehicle fleet.

Arming myself with tools

post-3994-0-73993800-1408705838_thumb.jpg

I found that the seat could be removed from the base without too much hassle

post-3994-0-26410000-1408705862_thumb.jpg

So in about an hour it became

post-3994-0-93656400-1408705878_thumb.jpg

With only these to remove

post-3994-0-84190500-1408705896_thumb.jpg

post-3994-0-78768400-1408705903_thumb.jpg

And so my action plan is

• Remove floor mounts
  • Sell seats
  • Remove Decals
  • Work out what to do with heater
  • Gearbox decision
  • Plan conversion
  • Get insurance

That is all for the first meeting of AMM. The next meeting is being held at the Crab and Testicle on old street on 32nd of August at 9 pm.

See you all there.

That looks ace.  Sliding van doors are for winners, and I also like the graphic of a lion downing his pint in one.

It would make an ace camper with all that headroom, though the extra weight won't help much with the motorway cruising speed.  I expect that taking off those rather unnecessary [edit: stylish] sticky-out side repeaters would massively* improve the aerodynamics, though.

Forgot to mention the fat kids sign.. Makes me chuckle.

Loads of room inside. Headroom is ace. Bugger all rust and electric doors FTW.

I reckon that I will insulate it the use it without fixing stuff in it for next 6 months so that when we move house it can be used for that.

Been called worse :)

It would make an ace camper with all that headroom, though the extra weight won't help much with the motorway cruising speed.  

I would imagine that on a DI Transit with a 4-speed 'box, cruising speed is limited by the engine clattering into the rev limiter rather than by the power / weight ratio, so I shouldn't think fitting beds and shiz would make it a whole lot slower - at least on the flat.

Forgot to add, the front windscreen seal is leaking. Not quite sure what to do about it as the screen is huge and I couldn't remove it. But worried that if leaks the surround could rust.

Oh and need to find a way to lock the drivers door.

Yep plan to tint windows as any sun it gets hot quickly. Plus privacy.

I think 5 speed box is top of list. I ha e seen recon ones fitted for around £700. The seats weigh a fair bit and I reckon fitting it out will still be less than it was

I would imagine that on a DI Transit with a 4-speed 'box, cruising speed is limited by the engine clattering into the rev limiter rather than by the power / weight ratio, so I shouldn't think fitting beds and shiz would make it a whole lot slower - at least on the flat.

Happy days!

re Camper conversion, I think a good starting point would be to add a dark or mirror tint to all of the huge windows, this will add flexibility - in my mind at least.

Bah.  What this needs is net curtains and ruched roman blinds.

Will, 

I was also interested in this, but currently have three cars that need work, so decided against making it 4 vehicles needing work  :oops: . Actually rang round for Insurance quotes and found they varied quite a lot.

Cheapest I found was 2gether Insurance for £210 a year with a £150 excess, and being left on the road. (01945 465508)

This involved it being "converted" into a camper van within 3 months, which is just the classification on the V5.

Even started looking for old caravans as per Corsavaoir comments on the other thread, and agree that would be the quickest easiest way to get the V5 changed over. It could then be changed over time into something more of your liking.

£112 would have got you this beauty. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bailey-Scorpio-500-4-Spares-or-Repair-1-day-auction-NO-RESERVE-/201152608481?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=sX7C7u4LSwlFFkLpVjE%252BD5729OI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Glad it went to someone on here,  and keep me in mind if you do decide to sell it on  :-D

Cheers

- Dave -

I reckon fitting it out will still be less than it was

A caravan would be a good place to start for lightweight fittings, especially given that the sides are already flat internally. I used a donor caravan but had to trim the cupboards I used to suit the curved sides of a panel van. With the woodwork I made up myself, I was amazed at how stiff just a sheet of thin ply and a few 20 mm square battens could be if I bonded everything together. I've seen a few DIY conversions which use domestic kitchen units (i.e. 3/4" chipboard), and I dread to think how much they weigh!

For adhesive I used Sikaflex 512, which in my mind is better than conventional wood glue in this sort of application as it allows a little flexibility. So long as you put small spacers between joints (to prevent all the adhesive from being squeezed out), the wood will give way before the bond. Other brands are possibly equally good, but you know how it is when you find something that works well, you don't want to change it...

Good idea blacking out the windows at least to start with while you fine tune the layout, but I reckon you'd want to replace them long term with something a little more insulative.

Nice.  That could make one sweet camper.

You might want to upgrade the alternator.  I'm guessing you'll have a 55A Lucas / Magnetti Marrelli. Alt & Vac pump. 

Post 97MY Transits have a 90A Mitsubishi fitted as standard which is interchangeable. 

There was also a twin alternator set up on some Transit Ambulances so you could split vehicle and leisure electrics

I reckon it will be a really good base. Sounds millionity times better than that hiace :)

I read online about twin alternators, that will be added to the list.

Caravan is a good idea but I think we are going to end up with rock n roll bed. Then build everything round it.

Cheers for tips Dave, I think this is going to be a keeper hence wanting to try and do it all properly.

What would you replace windows with? Any ideas on what to do about windscreen seal?

My missus is going to want curtains. She loved them in Bernard and thinks that the silver reflector things are too manly :)

I'm surprised its got a 4 speed box, I though they were all 5 by this point. one could probably be fitted but I'm wondering if with all that bodywork and a N/A Di it would actually be able to pull fifth.

Whatever, it's a lovely thing and a blank canvas. I'm looking forward to seeing this done!

Seems a terrible shame to make this into a camper when it would make such an ideal pole dancing party limo, all you’d need to do is black out the windows and put a massive vinyl cut phone number on the side along with a few sparkly vinyl stars. Chuck a few cans of carling in the back, a ghetto blaster and a tube or two of Canesten cream for your party guests and KERCHING!

Fantastic thread, That looks a right old laugh to drive about in for sod all money, I'd buy that just to park on the drive to piss the neighbours off, especially after his comment this afternoon about rather looking out the window and seeing the Merc outside instead of the shitty Acclaim.

I'll be looking forwards to seeing how you progress with this one.