XJ40 hotel needed.

Partridge

It's a Sov, and has a telephone for added awesomeness.

Have picturefication.

29nj79i.jpg

5al09h.jpg

2coh3xh.jpg

vsic9i.jpg

34yxno6.jpg

400 quid. How much longer will they stay this cheap? And it's probably worth at least double that in bits (not that I'd break it).

Shit me! £400 for a tidy Jag? Man, I knew I'd been robbed with piece of scrap Coupe that's landed my way :(

worse Jags ever. The X308 was much better.

The XJ40 is one of the better cars Jaguar have made. There is a lot of clever engineering on them - for example the rear suspension design which allows the wheels to move fore and aft as well as up and down to gain extra compliance. It is a very sophisticated thing. This is one reason why they drive so well; the XJ40 has enjoyable handling and yet still has a very smooth ride. They are especially capable on bumpy roads where the road surface is breaking down. At launch in 1986 the XJ40 had a good claim to being the best saloon car in the world.

The X308 is based on the XJ40. A well sorted X308 is also a lovely car. The engine especially is a very refined unit. But they are nowhere near as durable as the XJ40 and that matters now they are an old car.

You prefer the X308. That's fine and I can see the V8 had a real appeal providing it doesn't grenade and you are lucky and the transmission lasts the course. I prefer the XJ40 for the styling, feel, better ride and the unburstable engine and transmission. The XJ40 can brush off years of bad maintenance. That's not true of the XJ8. 

I find the XJ40s much more imposing and interesting to look at than the X300/X308. Even a knackered one will still feel a million dollars, and as Rustbucket says, that same is not true of the X308s. Skip a service and they sound like a bag of spanners. Yeah, early '40s were cack, but ones made at the end of the 80's and into the 90's were much improved.

The XJ40 is a car that looks of its time. The X308 is a car that looks like a desperate attempt to modernise the image of something old and dated. A bit like those depressing late Rover 45s or a 2010 run-out Saab 9-5.

Or the way the razor sharp eighties Rover 800 morphed into a blancmange for the nineties.

The early ones have that extra bit of fizz. I'd love one!

My dream car would be a Kingfisher blue '40 from 1993 (I was born in 1993 and for some reason I like 'K' plate cars), Sovereign, on crosspokes, with square headlamps, just like the one I grew up with 8)

I also think there's something "of the night" about an XJ40. An air of menace but also refinement. If Toad of Toad Hall started dealing drugs or "leaning" on Mole and Badger.

While I like the '40' I prefer the X300. It looks like a 'proper Jag  but still has the 6 pot.  I've had a couple of those and a 308 and I love the 300s, much prefer the dash on them as well to the later cars.

Always wanted to play with the electronic dash in the 40 and I do think they have aged well, but I didn't like the styling when they came out (and I was a confirmed Jag fan) and it's sort of stuck.

The other day I drove a black Daimler LWB 4.0 Supercharged, freshly acquired by a colleague of mine for two dismal bags.

I tell you one thing. If it would even remotely suit me, it'd be my next car.

It pulls your kecks down first time you stomp on the loud pedal, then has 100% more oompf left on tap than you'll ever need.

Does 29 OMGMPG on a run to boot. On the el cheapo shit from Morrison's, that is.

Sadly, my next car will be an R16, because it suits me to the ground.

I really liked XJ40s for a while, then one night I saw a black series 3 Double Six, and recently a C reg series Sovereign, albeit a tatty one, has showed up on the main road near my house, and now I've decided I want a Series 3. Even meaner in my eyes, though I don't like S1s and S2s.

There's no denying a nicely coloured XJ40 is a great looking car, though, I'd settle for one if I couldn't find a Series 3.

X300s just look like any other generic '90s saloon and always seemed domestic by comparison. Also, that turquoise colour they came in was just awful.

I really liked XJ40s for a while, then one night I saw a black series 3 Double Six, and recently a C reg series Sovereign, albeit a tatty one, has showed up on the main road near my house, and now I've decided I want a Series 3. Even meaner in my eyes, though I don't like S1s and S2s.

There's no denying a nicely coloured XJ40 is a great looking car, though, I'd settle for one if I couldn't find a Series 3.

X300s just look like any other generic '90s saloon and always seemed domestic by comparison. Also, that turquoise colour they came in was just awful.

25u5z0p.jpg

The jury is still out for me.