Triumph Toledo with TR7 Powah!

purplebargeken

I guess the old adage ' be careful what you wish for' is alive and well as I was toying with the idea of getting rid a short while ago.

Let me elaborate.

A friend locally lets me have the use of his garage. This is where my 'new to me again' Toledo is stored and this is where I have been doing little bits and pieces on it of late.

Sadly he had a heart attack and had stents fitted a few months ago and has been back at work for the last 3 weeks. He was offered redundancy but declined as he is a year off retiring and wanted to carry on. Fair enough.

I spoke with him today and he said that going back to work was a huge mistake and he has negotiated another redundancy package. He is leaving work shortly, giving up the council property and moving to be nearer to the family (in Peterborough).

The upshot is that the Toledo will have to go in the next 3 weeks or so as he is also giving up his garages.

So, the Toledo is up for grabs. 

There is a picture of it on here somewhere but I will get some more. 

It is a 1975 Triumph Toledo with the TR7 engine, gearbox with overdrive fitted from an 1850 Dolomite. I believe the rear axle has been swapped to a correct ratio one again from a Dolomite 1850. It has electronic ignition and an alloy rad fitted with a electric fan with manual over ride switch.

The DVLA will need to be updated as to the engine change. 

Engine (low millage tr7 engine)
Waterpump (done less than 400 miles)
Clutch (again less than 400 miles)
Clutch and Brake master cylnders
Clutch Slave cylnder .
Both Front calipers ovehaulled
New discs and pads all new brake hoses (goodrich types)
New brake shoes and cylinders

When I had it the first time I fitted black vinyl seats from a 1500 FWDS which are so much more supportive and comfortable and look stock. The carpet is faded and would be best replaced. Headlining is fine.

I was going to fit a set of MGF steelies but the original wheels have brand new Bridgestones fitted. It has a sports exhaust fitted and runs very well indeed.

It needs painting. It really does. It is mostly Leyland White but it needs a proper paint job. The bonnet is brown but solid. The boot lid is okay but there is a NOS spare supplied. Chrome is decent. Doors need a tidy up but I have seen much worse. 

I had started to strip the car down to bare metal on the drivers side sill and door shuts. This has been rustproofed and coated with a couple of layers of red oxide. I took the doors off to do this. 

The usual rot spots are lovely and solid. No issues bodywise apart from the following:

There is a shallow ding in the rear valance this was there when I bought the car several years ago. There is also ding to the passengers side sill. Again this has been there for several years. The drivers side A pillar had 3 or 4 half little fingernail sized holes. I have cleaned these up, rust killed and filled. 

Mileage, not huge. Will check. MOT'd just before I got the car in June. Is on SORN. I had an insurance quote for just over £90 (that was with the correct engine details). 

I am looking at around £1100 for the car, although if a committed AS bod is interested the usual AS discount will apply. Given the work done it is a bargain. Tatty standard Toledo projects have been going for more. This is MOT'd and just requires tax and insurance to enable it to be driven around whilst you make it look pretty. 

PM me if you haz interest. Next stop ebay eeeeek!

Cheers

Ken

I'm not in a position (financial or otherwise) to consider this, sadly. But happy to help out with some free, off-road storage in the short term if it takes you a bit longer to find a buyer. The 45 could easily live in the street for a while. Just give me a shout if you need it.

Going away to Devon in disgust about how this forum just ain't what it used to be. The breakers were closed at midnight, what a bunch of jessie's. Car haz reprieve. 

Please feel free to PM me with sexy offers of real cash money or such like. I shall be no-communiavocado until Sunday PM, so happy shite'ing in the interim folks.

Hope Devon isn't as rubbish as this forum has now become*.

If I see any shite I will try and take a picture. 

Hi Honey, I'm baaaaack!

Nice couple of days in deepest Devon with occasional raiding parties into Cornwall. Bude is dire, it is like the tourist trap of your worst nightmares all rolled in to one festering pit of hatred. Nice rugged beaches and coastline though.

The small hotel in Ottery was lovely and is totally and utterly highly recommended 'The Coach House Hotel' - superb.

However, since going down to the SW I have overdosed on VW 'buses' and Transporters. I must have seen several hundred of the pineapple attired fuckers and would be happy never to clap eyes on another for a very long time.

Right. I will get some piccies of the TRoledo tomorrow and see where it all heads.

I may have to abandon the Track Dolomite Sprint Project instead as that was going to be a part of my rust orientated life and see where it all heads from there. Watch this space. 

Spent some time down at the garage today. In a fit of enthusiasm I continued to remove every last trace of old fucked paint on the wing and the upper front end of the Tolly, just for the sheer hell of it.

I am ashamed to report that I could find no significant rust and only a tablespoon of old filler used to conceal a small ding. The bare metal on the original sill showed only the lightest of surface rust pock marking. It has all now been buried under copious amounts of rust killer. I will then coat it in red oxide a couple of times.

Oh yeah, mate said to me this afternoon that he has decided to retire in July as that is when his wife also retires.

WINNAH!!!!! The sale of the Tolly is now a vague and distant memory.......... kind of. 

Reckon it's worth doing a AS progress report on the Tolly? Anyone interested? Looks like the Project Sprint may well be the loser in all of this. 

Hello Glenn. You know that in the real world this could be considered stalking  :-P  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Right then, this is where it starts. I bought a Toledo via ebay about 5 or 6 years ago (maybe), does that sound right Glenn, or is it longer? The car hadn't run in a while and was owned by a young chap who was a teacher. I think I paid the vast sum of £79. After doing a little bit of work on the car, fitting the 1500FWD seats and so on. It was then that the car was sold to make way for a 1500FWD....

The car was sold to a chap called Martin who proceeded to fill it with his mates and venture around either France or Spain. I recall he had exhaust woes on a number of occasions. It gets a bit blurry from then on. It was bought by a chap from the Dolly Club who I think converted the engine, not I'm sure why, but that is how it is. Fast forward a few years and the car was bought by my mate Glenn, also from the Dolly Club. He did lots of work on the car, including sourcing and fitting a low mileage TR7 engine and box. However, the lure of an MG and hydragas suspension overtook the Toledo love and a mysterious deal was struck involving nuns and kittens and lo! I had my old Toledo back.

A brief wobble re; selling/loss of storage intervened to disrupt the normal flow of the cosmos. However, the Rust and Oil Gods were once again smiling upon me. 

Anyhoo. Yesterday and today saw some Hot Tolly Action and here follows the photographic evidence. I am now knackered. Really knackered.

I took the doors off to enable me to clean up the surrounding area. The doors are pretty solid but will also need a slight tidy up. A pillars on these small Triumphs have a habit of getting a bit rusty. The same issues face the Tolly but were pretty minor in all honesty.

DSCN1626_zpsb32c7bb6.jpg

872db7fd-2d62-4cee-be8f-ae1b1436b264_zps

Everything else was lovely and solid and rust free.

DSCN1629_zps1f93ff45.jpg

DSCN1628_zps7da28bf7.jpg

There is some slight rust pitting along the bottom of the sill but it is the original and is bloody solid otherwise.

The car does have its bodywork faults but it was all present when I bought the car and doesn't really seem to have deteriorated.

This is the rear N/S bumper iron mounting point. The car has obviously had a bump in the past and it looks a bit tatty. I may look at pulling this out somehow. 

DSCN1636_zps28619b8e.jpg

The N/S sill has a dent in it too. There is also some pitting in the N/S rear wheel arch. The O/S is perfect.

DSCN1633_zps5e5d0ee6.jpg

So, in the past few weeks (and days) the car has gone from this:

FrontEnd_zps063ad4f6.jpg

To this:

DSCN1645_zps6aaa2f6a.jpg

The front valance is also a notorious rot spot and as I got rid of the paint I found some filler. Luckily the filler was just hiding a dent and nothing worse. There are a couple of pin holes and pitting but that is easily sorted. I will try and improve the dent but it will need a skim of filler.

DSCN1643_zps323ce94a.jpg

DSCN1641_zps57169cdb.jpg

DSCN1647_zpsa414404c.jpg

DSCN1642_zps09807a15.jpg

The paint was laid on pretty thick, am not sure if household paint was used at some point as it just felt different when it hit me at speed in the face. Just a hunch. 

Some engine piccies. Not much wrong there at all. Just a little tidying/cleaning to be done. Grand work Glenn  :-D

DSCN1622_zps22c0aff2.jpg

The interior:

The carpet will be replaced, Coverdale do an excellent kit. The headlining is intact but as with most of these cars, the glue used at the factory becomes brown with age and stains the headlining material. I will clean with meths and roller paint the material as if done carefully it gives an almost factory finish (satin emulsion is what is required). I've done this a few times since the mid 1980's and it has never failed me yet.

Interior_zps294565de.jpg

The overdrive is not operational. Glenn did tell me why. Possibly the switch is faulty. All in time. I will also take off the front bumper irons to clean them and to enable easier access to the front panel. Luckily the front bumper came off as easily as an easy thing but the irons are a bit loose. I was too tired to tackle that today. 

So there you go. The grey primer is a sacrificial coating and will be sanded down lightly, filler primered and a couple of coats of red oxide will be painted on and flatted. Just need to think about colour and so on. 

Hope you all enjoyed it so far. 

Excellent. That is going to be one seriously hot car once it's done. Looking forward to seeing it in the metal one day.

You'll have to talk me through the headlining trick in more detail some time so I can do it on the Sceptre. Either I have the same glue problem as you or the previous owner chain smoked Hamlets or something...

Ben, it is pretty easy to do, just a little time consuming. Happy to talk you through it mate but best to have a look at the headlining first as this suits the soft vinyl/plastic material only. 

The engine sounds lovely through the sports exhaust. Looking forward to getting it sorted.

If it was the original drivers side rear one, I seem to recall that the bottom section was in a very poor state from the time of my original ownership. It always used to jut out at the bottom.

I've taken off the one's that you fitted on the drivers side mate and these are the ones I am cleaning up at the moment. What I have seen so far is indeed fine. Just the outer window rubbers that are goosed. I might find more as I get further into them (maybe).

The passenger side doors are very much only fit for the scrappy, a little pile of rust is left behind on the sill each time I open the door  :lol: