'91 Eagle SS

Mike D

Is it just the height of the chassis side rails that's causing the issue here?  The fibreglass shell looks like it wrapped a good way below the chassis whereas the Beetle shell obviously doesn't.  Also, if you've got Mazda subframes why are you even thinking about lowering the Cortina stuff, surely the Mazda suspension and whatnot will replace the Ford stuff?

So I decided to look into realising my dream of a front engine, 5 speed boxed, rear wheel drive bug. Only drawback, being the dreaded IVA. I can't be arsed with all that crap.

Mike, it's always good to read this thread. But I think as projects advance*, clear-thinking can be clouded. Stick to your original straightforwards* plan - then work around the problems once finished. There's always a decent way around, most cars on the market have something rectified.

I recognise elements of the perfectionist in your approach, which I share, but sometimes they're best avoided - especially in the midst of a big job like this when it's all too easy to change course down a route which is way beyond the original thinking. The original idea of using this chassis makes sense, adapt the body to fit.

Well I have agreed to saddle up the poor old focus estate with the giant car trailer again on Monday to go and pick up the new 'test body' after work.

You are damn right forddeliveryboy, It's far too easy to get carried away and go mental. At least once I have the test body on the chassis I can see exactly where I am and give the springs a chop & body a fettle to get it right. Hope fully that will see me right! At least my extensive measuring has confirmed the MX5 mill is a proper compact unit, I should be able to sit it right down on the front subframe for enough height clearance to the bonnet, and as it's mega short it shouldn't impinge on cabin space too much.

Wish me luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Having read all the thread it seems there is a basic lack of comprehension going on. As far as I see it so far, a perfectly restorable, rare MkIII Eagle SS, (love it or hate it, it is still a classic, I have a 1995 MkIII VW version with a 1641cc stage 3 in it) has been parted from its chassis and will in all probability end up as parts or just the screen which is akin to killing a Rhino for its horns,

The chassis now looks like it's not going to be any good anyway and if used will require serious chopping about to the point where it would have been be easier to have started from scratch and built your own anyway.

The SS chassis/VW body would have needed an IVA anyway as the reg number no longer relates to the car (a SS), we had a guy revert a VW from a Eagle RV (same chassis) back to a Dub and had to go the whole IVA route as it was then a different car again. A MX is about to die also to donate its running gear and a VW body shell is also doomed and current result is NUFFIN, just a load of metal in your drive, which if my personal experience is anything to go by must really be pissing off the missus.

I am almost sorry you found my drawing of the Eagle chassis VW overlay of interest. Over the past 50 years or so I have built some bloody weird stuff and ruined a few now rare and expensive hardware so I am not blameless, the number of Lambretta I consigned to an early grave is criminal as they now sell for 6K restored.

IF I would want a front engined VW beetle, other than follow the route taken by previous engineers who have done it already, I would have thought a fibre glass body on a de-skinned MX or similar would have been the easy route in the same way they make Ferrari replicas.

Whilst I applaud you sense of adventure I fear this one is doomed.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Mercedes A170 CDi crap heap

BMW E30 1987

Opel Corsa 1.4i Sport

Eagle SS MkII

As an aside, I think insulting people and their cars is not very nice, Eagle SSs are not everyones cup of tea but along with Nova owners in the UK we have a strong following along with many other Nova derivatives worldwide and we are certainly not "pervs".

A fellow with an Eagle bought the shell, and some other interior parts of it were going to another bloke with an Eagle too.

What the Eagle massive fail to mention is that when I went to buy it the guy had received no end of offers for it from people with incorrectly registered Eagles to just post them the V5 and weigh the rest in.