WANTED 1275 a series powered shite..........

Rocket88

Have you seen this?

Posted Image

GR8 for rusting like bill-oh

Or perhaps sir is after a 1.3 Maestro, or Marina, or Mini (god forbid you can afford the "scene" tax), or ADO16 or any one of a number of other bits of BL tin to harbour the old clattery pushrod lump.

I've seen a bit of 1980s A-series powered BL tin parked up on the street, once I've some cash handy I think I'll leave a note, as it is both stunning and very "me". Providing they fancy selling it at some point, I could be overtaking Mercedes 200s! Great.

Coming over to deliver a car at the end of this month, other half's son has a Mini with a sick engine, can't find an A series for love or money over here [not that we can hear running anyway........] If I could find something with a bit of MOT and tax, could drive it back, pull the lump, and bin the rest. Anything would do, but it must be 1275 ish

As soon as I start looking for one, the all seem to be mega bucks. There's three up on ebay at the moment, I can see all of them going for £600+, which is pretty fair looking at the condition of them. As long as I can get something with a healthy engine and box, the rest is going to end up in the crusher.

As soon as I start looking for one, the all seem to be mega bucks. There's three up on ebay at the moment, I can see all of them going for £600+, which is pretty fair looking at the condition of them. As long as I can get something with a healthy engine and box, the rest is going to end up in the crusher.

Yet another Mini being given more life at the expense of another vehicle! If you can, pick a rust bucket, there's nowt worse than seeing a good bodyshell being crushed to act as a donor. Please also remember that just because an A has low mileage that it'll be all right - my Metro's got a sick engine with 53000 on the clock.

Why not just bin the Mini, probably best thing for it.

I quite agree, but it's not MY mini, the lad has spent the last 3 years on it, done a good job too, but much against my sage advise, deciced to lob a Metro Turbo engine in it [which he'd never heard run], which promptly blew up. He, understandably, was a trifle peeved, but has seen the light, and agrees that a good 1275 [sans turbo!] would be the way to go. As he's going to crash it anyway, doing it at a slightly lesser rate of knots seems like a good idea.

Ref the white MaGnificence above, for £300 I'd have it, if it was furver dan sarf.

Ah no!

I didnt read the thread fully!

Please don't kill any more metros!!!

Thats why I said "bin the Mini instead" would be justice for all Metro's.

I'm sure for the same labour of fitting a new engine your son could probably repair the engine or is it really that badly blown? Why not visit a few scrappy's instead of obliterating an otherwise good Metro?

Lord Sterling

Why not visit a few scrappy's instead of obliterating an otherwise good Metro?

I suspect there aren't that many scrappies on Jersey, besides, it's really quite difficult to find an A-series in a scrappy (I know from personal experience) worse still find a 1275! What I usually found before I gave up hunting was a Metro without an engine!

Theyare surpriseingly difficult to get hold of in good nick these 1275 transverse jobs, a few of the more delusional mini parts sellers on the bay often stick painted-up SH ones on there for getting on for £500! Even one with a crummy ad and a picture of the engine exposed to the weather on someones allotment seems to make £200+ fairly reliably. This is a shame for metro lovers as it means metros are always getting boned for their engines, which usually end up in a vehicle far shonkier than the one they came out of.

Please don't kill any more metros!

sorry to have to let you all know that the annual metro banger race is on 7th december wimbledon stadium about 75 last year and still quite few A series models hitting the race tracks there was over 100 at mildenhall in jan last year as well :shock: ive been offered a gta rover one but dont think engine will fit in a mini :(

Please don't kill any more metros!

sorry to have to let you all know that the annual metro banger race is on 7th december wimbledon stadium about 75 last year and still quite few A series models hitting the race tracks there was over 100 at mildenhall in jan last year as well :shock: ive been offered a gta rover one but dont think engine will fit in a mini :(
I dont mind that so much, if theyre being bangered theyre probably mostly old shitters anyway!What upsets me is perfectly good ones being raped of their engines and then scrapped just to make another mini a bit faster!Weren't all the GTAs K-series?

A few late model A-series were to GTa spec, there were tons over here at one stage. Looked particularly fetching in yellow. Where have they all gone?

Posted Image

Surviving Metros have the odds stacked against them because

(a) no really hot version providing halo effect for rest of range unlike Fiesta/Nova/205 etc

(B) they still make Mini bodyshells and all the panels so those haven't died off at the expected rate, and

© the lack of development turned it into a bit of a national joke, they really should have brought out an all-new one in 1987.

So therefore Metros will continue to get rarer and rarer, but never hugely sought-after or particularly valuable. A shame; I quite liked them.

Surviving Metros have the odds stacked against them because (a) no really hot version providing halo effect for rest of range unlike Fiesta/Nova/205 etc(B) they still make Mini bodyshells and all the panels so those haven't died off at the expected rate, and© the lack of development turned it into a bit of a national joke, they really should have brought out an all-new one in 1987.So therefore Metros will continue to get rarer and rarer, but never hugely sought-after or particularly valuable. A shame; I quite liked them.

I think you're right. I don't think Ill ever be able to sell mine now, in case someone does something horrible to it!

I like Metros, I had a 998 Clubman 5dr a couple of years back and it was great fun, although it did cost me a huge amount in parts and was spectacularly unreliable...If anyone wants a 1275 Auto 3Dr in met blue my mum has one she doesn't use... it's a C reg ('85) and she's been using it a lot recently so it's now racked up 19,000 miles!I remember in 1996 when she got it out of storage... It had 1135 miles on the clock...