1990 Eunos Roadster - now SOLD

loserone

I've now been driving a naturally aspirated Subaru for a week, and although it's thirsty I feel like enjoying the comfort of it for a while, so my little 'toy' which I've had for coming up to four years is now available.

241k KM. Tax till the end of the month, MOT till the 6th of Aug.  It's a V-spec, so 1600 + LSD + A/C (doesn't work) + beige leather + speakers in headrests, wooden controls etc. Built '90, imported '98.  NINE owners in the UK since then.

Had a "new" (60k engine fitted at 180k) - cambelt age unknown. Gearbox & clutch at 200k. Lowered with second hand Konis of unknown history about the same time (but at least they were the same length).   Raybrig lights mean you can drive quickly in the dark, too.  Came with a cheap cone air filter which cleans up well.

Had the nearside sill dug out and re-fabricated by scaryoldcortina a couple of years ago, and I've been talking to him about getting the offside done before the MOT. I'm reasonably sure it will need work on the sill before an MOT pass, but the last Mazda I sold on here didn't need anything and was at least as bad.   It will also need some fiddling with the rear calipers - it always does - and.. er.. something else small that I can't remember.

The windscreen surround leaks into the cabin when it rains, and it's a little scabby. No stereo, but if you twist my arm I'll leave in a Blaupunkt four channel amp (in the boot) which comes with a 3.5mm input (I feed it from my phone). Roof leaks too - towel for driver's seat included.  Door cards were so minging we replaced them with some funky brown fabric and grab handles from some kind of Daimler.

Asking £450 it, I think - which might seem a lot, but I do think it's an excellent car.  That includes your choice of wheels and tyres (see below), and the following extras open for negotiation.

Also have:

A hardtop (with peeling paint, in the right colour, but no heated screen and a japanese tax disc still attached), 

A tow bar (never fitted, the intention was to buy a bike rack to go on it)

Two sets of wheels (steels with yoko winter tyres, and the original daisy alloys missing one trim with toyo CF1s) 

A chrome boot rack.

..and some other bits and pieces.

Some pictures taken after I threw a bucket of water over it last week:

vELcmJk.jpg

hODGDJI.jpg

bwTxjK7.jpg

vsKhnvD.jpg

GRwzz3P.jpg

Offensive offers welcome if you commit to turning up on Saturday and taking it away :)

Been tempting myself with this all day but the logistics of picking it up and getting to Wales tomorrow morning is too much as I am meant to be driving bird to pub tonight and need to be in fine fettle for our trip away tomorrow. PLUS I hated welding the sills on someone elses MX5 a couple of years back. Was a right palava. Annoyingly it got written off shortly after I did the work.

Steelies are all the same, but one was painted black - it had been on the bottom of the 'pile' for many years when I was given them, and was a little rusty on the surface.  Rest of the tin of paint included, I simply couldn't be bothered to paint the rest of them.  

I can quite distinctly remember all two occasions where I've had the back end out.  One was in front of a police traffic car, in 4" deep snow, when fitted with Pirelli 'three season' tyres.  Having said that, I've no idea if it had been used for 'drifting' in the past, but I doubt it; there's not enough power and the handbrake is crap.  There is a battery isolation switch attached, but I suspect that's to prevent drain when overwintering.  

I also still have the radio aerial.

We still have the unused dunlop tyres that were on the steels when I got them.  They're brown from sun bleaching and we think date from about '92.  Thinking of trying to use them as planters in the garden.

Car, and I, are both located in County Durham, about 5 miles from Durham City.  Collection from the railway station is very easy, and I don't mind delivering it either.  In fact, I'll deliver anywhere in the UK for the cost of the fuel and a train ticket back (with the obvious proviso that the money is up front!)

I've probably given a very negative description of it, because I've been trying to think of all the reasons it has to go. I feel a bit like Mr Wobbler sounds when he's talking about how he must get rid of a BX because he's had so many when really everyone knows he'll get another in a few months - right?.  The soft top doesn't actually leak that badly, and it drives really very well.  But this needs to be someone else's toy for a bit.

I've driven a few MX5, and from my perspective the 1600 is the one for those who enjoy having to drive a car. Which surely is what something like this is all about.

i prefer the 1.8. I like my engines to have torque and for the car to sometimes accelerate. 

Still, this is a nice wee thing. Could be made decent with very little effort. GLWTS, sure it will fly out at that price with the time of year it is. 

i prefer the 1.8. I like my engines to have torque and for the car to sometimes accelerate. 

Still, this is a nice wee thing. Could be made decent with very little effort. GLWTS, sure it will fly out at that price with the time of year it is. 

Completely see where you're coming from 1.6 vs 1.8, and Mr Shitpeas will attest to the torque from the 1.8.  Indeed, I thought about getting a 1.8 roadster several times when I had the 323F. In the end I think the car suits the 1.6 better; yes, you have to rev it everywhere to feel like you're making progress, but that's part of the driving experience.

It's still faster than it's "replacement" http://i.imgur.com/lHUJ7Hh.jpg

[edit - Christ, that reads like I read Evo from about 2001. ]

Edited by loserone

How much for the towbar & what conditions it in? Or is it going as a job lot with the car?

BTW, your paintwork looks better than that on my Eunos, always liked the BRG ones.

You can have it separately, I paid 90 but I've never fitted it, because even just putting it in the boot meant the car was lower at the back and increased the chance of grounding. (The suspension on this one is too low for where it's driven, as far as I'm concerned, although the ride is still comfortable enough and it no longer rolls everywhere)

The tow bar is in pretty good condition, knowing nothing about tow bars.  It's got an electric socket of some kind, which I've never tested.  To be honest I've no idea why I've kept it for so long.

Be aware that the towing limit on a Eunos is usually 0KG, so a bike rack is the only thing you can use if for.

£50? Postage strikes me as being a nightmare, whereabouts are you?

Those door cards actually look really good. I was expecting something a lot worse. I think this povo spec look is the best on MX5, those wheels look really gr8. Or have I been on here too long?

They're padded too, so they're comfy to rest a knee against.  Big improvement on the shitty plastic armrest/handle it came with, and gives you more room to boot.

I've been thinking of putting the original wheels back on this afternoon - maybe I shouldn't!

Electric window switches are proper toggles too, because it was actually cheaper than a working used set of switches.  Clock on the (really, really bad) dash panel is from a mondeo, and that toggle switch turns on the amplifier in the boot.

Spare wheel went the journey long ago.

If anyone's looking at this thinking they'd do it if it was more of a bargain, ping me.  Autoshitist's discounts are available.

[Edit - and how come nobody's noticed the fellow in the greenhouse yet?]

Edited by loserone

hm.. The sensible part of me is saying no, thank you, such a kind offer.  

The part of me which was a passenger in a Rover dealer-demonstrator 1997 MGF at 115MPH on the A167 through Newcastle when aged 13 whilst my parents looked at an R8 is saying YES.  

The part of me which has drunk half a bottle of wine is asking for more info on it's current state and if there are any restrictions on how long I need to keep it, as an MGF is on my bucket list and I wouldn't need to drive it for long.

no, thankyou :)

The part of me which was a passenger in a Rover dealer-demonstrator 1997 MGF at 115MPH on the A167 through Newcastle when aged 13 whilst my parents looked at an R8 is saying YES.  

The part of me which has drunk half a bottle of wine is asking for more info on it's current state and if there are any restrictions on how long I need to keep it, as an MGF is on my bucket list and I wouldn't need to drive it for long.

Current state is it is taxed and will have 12 months MOT.....

Every time it is sold on then a donation to HFH has to be made, no restrictions on timescale of ownership!

no, thankyou :)

:-)

You can have it separately, I paid 90 but I've never fitted it, because even just putting it in the boot meant the car was lower at the back and increased the chance of grounding. (The suspension on this one is too low for where it's driven, as far as I'm concerned, although the ride is still comfortable enough and it no longer rolls everywhere)

The tow bar is in pretty good condition, knowing nothing about tow bars.  It's got an electric socket of some kind, which I've never tested.  To be honest I've no idea why I've kept it for so long.

Be aware that the towing limit on a Eunos is usually 0KG, so a bike rack is the only thing you can use if for.

£50? Postage strikes me as being a nightmare, whereabouts are you?

Wasn't aware of the towing limit - was only considering a small light trailer but will have to look into that as it would be going on my decent 5 not the Eunos.

I'm on the south coast and just seen you're at t'other end of the country! I will let you know if I'm interested because as you say, postage may kill it as a practical prospect.

In my garage I have a similar colour UK spec 1.6 Monza Mk1 mX5 IN SIMILAR condition. (But less power). 

All I can say is that unmodified, they are brilliant all-rounders, and with the right tyres, and a good 4 wheel alignment they handle superbly.

As far as replacing the hood.  I've done it with a glass upgrade from maz-mania, and it took 8 hours including watching the DVD for 2 hours. But was not actually hard.  I took my time as adding the glass meant having to drill and rivet a few holes in the frame with some webbing straps.  There was one screw that took me ages to get out.

I have a spare set of alloy wheels and tyres in the shed.

Wasn't aware of the towing limit - was only considering a small light trailer but will have to look into that as it would be going on my decent 5 not the Eunos.

I'm on the south coast and just seen you're at t'other end of the country! I will let you know if I'm interested because as you say, postage may kill it as a practical prospect.

UK 5s have a bigger towing limit, I understand it's simply that most importers couldn't be bothered to find out what the limit should be and just put 0.  Two 5s sounds like an extremely sensible way to do it.

In my garage I have a similar colour UK spec 1.6 Monza Mk1 mX5 IN SIMILAR condition. (But less power). 

All I can say is that unmodified, they are brilliant all-rounders, and with the right tyres, and a good 4 wheel alignment they handle superbly.

As far as replacing the hood.  I've done it with a glass upgrade from maz-mania, and it took 8 hours including watching the DVD for 2 hours. But was not actually hard.  I took my time as adding the glass meant having to drill and rivet a few holes in the frame with some webbing straps.  There was one screw that took me ages to get out.

I have a spare set of alloy wheels and tyres in the shed.

Do you think there would be much difference between the 95 and the 115 after 20-25 years of driving? Suppose there could be.

After this was lowered, I spent as much on alignment as I spent on the shocks, at AK Automotive in Rowlands Gill.  They set it up in a similar way to one that was being toured round europe, rather than their track cars. We have tended to use it for wild camping round Scotland as well as the 60 mile commute, so the nervous twitch I've felt on 'faster' cars wasn't something I wanted.

I personally wouldn't bother replacing the soft top.  It's enough for a shower, and if it's raining all week I just put the hard top on.  Having said that, the mohair ones from that chap in Wales who I think was mentioned earlier in the thread are really excellent.

At that price, take it.  Separately.. £150, maybe. Probably gives an indication of the haggling room there is..

It's not a 'genuine' one, but in a way it's better, as it still has the japanese tax disc on.  No heated screen elements either, but this car doesn't have the loom for it anyway.

BTW, with the door handles removed and the hardtop on, there's more legroom and more headroom. <evil laughter>

I definitely reckon this is at least as much as a bargain as that 323F was, though I'm not getting quite the same level of interest.  Easier to 'break' even than a 2.0 focus, I bet.. The headlights alone would make £80 quid, then there's the seats, the wooden bits, the.. &c.