Weeping damper, is it a fail?

Split_Pin

Got some grime on one of the rear dampers, looks to be a historic leak of some sort.

It's a shortened item so the lowering spring stays put when jacked up, so the cheapest new one is 30 quid, and I'll want a pair.

I've seen such things only advised upon at MOT time, how bad does it have to be? It's only minor and must have happened ages ago as its dry. I will replace it but funds are limited to necessities only at the moment.

I always used this as a guide...........

misting/seep = slight sign of moisture with dust/mud stuck in it = Pass with advise (assuming non kwik fit type operation)

leak = as above but fluid loss sufficient to leave a clean line through the dust/mud

No car part is better value than fresh dampers, from the improvement to cost point of view anyway. 

However, WD40 or similar sprayed over the whole suspension area, "for rust-proofing purposes" will disguise any trivial weapage.

I think dampers should be properly tested at MOT time as it is I believe, done in some national check systems.. I have twice had utterly failed dampers, and not a sign of leakage. Original fit dampers on some cars have had it by the time the first set of tyres is done.