Oldest taxi

charlie2555

What's the oldest taxi/minicab any of you lot know which is still operating? Most of the taxis in my area are post 2000 rubbish, but there is one car which stands out: this 1986 Volvo 240GLE which I saw last year. 

Alternatively, does anyone remember any really elderly cars in the past still in use as a taxi?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92622665@N08/10929865845/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92622665@N08/10929865845

There was a Mk 3 Zephyr 4 working ranks in Southampton at least as late as 1982, and over the river from there were a couple of Farinas at the same date, although these could have been just over 10 years old at the time.    Most of the taxis in my town now don't even look like cars so I take no notice of them at all....

Ah, well if we're including foreign countries...

These pictures were taken in 2010 in San Pedro de Atacama in Chile.

5115859104_2159cf9207_z.jpgPeugeot 404 Taxi by Tayne, on Flickr

5115840210_fb1c3be7c5_z.jpgPeugeot 404 taxi by Tayne, on Flickr

I can't be certain when these were assembled in Chile but I'd say this one was somewhere between 20 and 50 years old when I saw it.

Maybe this thread had better have some regulations just like taxis.

Like, The taxi must be able to pass some kind of visual roadworthiness check !

Taynes' Chilean Peugeot would probably pass as it looks well kept , but would Charlies Ghanian Datsun !

Now for the arguments about what is a legal* taxi.

* Description of the word legal may vary somewhat

Last time I went back to Aberdeen, I got a taxi from the airport which was an old Vauxhal Omega. It had a private plate on, so no idea of actual age, but it was the original pre-facelift saloon.

Every single possible warning was lit up on the dash from low oil pressure to low screen wash via failed ABS and airbags and it had about 700k on the clock.

I saw a W123 Mercedes 200TD doing sterling service as a cab in Poland in May, if that counts.

Didn't get a pic.

As for warning light Bingo, last year I was in a York private hire Citroen C8 that appeared to have the full house on warning light bingo. It was complaining about all sorts. Gearbox failure, lack of adblue, pads. That was a 2008 car, so was possibly the last of them.

Isn't there a B-reg Audi 100 still serving the Isle of Wight that appeared in a spotted thread?

Nothing remotely old or interesting round my way, I don't know if there's an age limit but it's the usual dull fodder of Jap crap, Pisshats and Skodas, just a few Saabs for variety.

Is that 240 the one working around Salisbury ? I saw it last year, it's probably still going in true Volvo fashion.

There's a pristine W115 working as a taxi in Malta, I was quite amazed to see it in the airport taxi queue the last time I was there. Being a fairly sad individual, I actually waited until it was first in the queue so I could get a ride !

Scottish taxis are weird, in the major towns and cities have mostly brand new or under 2 years old Skoda Rapids, Octavias, Seat Toledos, Avensis, with some Passats and Mondeos, infact my dads 09 Jetta is one of the oldest I've seen in the greater Glasgow area, but venture a little further out and there's loads of stuff like the Mondeos Andy posted, others like a W reg Rover 45, out Kirkintilloch/Bishopbriggs way there's an N plate Cavalier, just shows how tough it must be to make cash on the taxis these days either they or these guys prefer them to the tidy 05 Mondeos/Vectras you can get cheaply to use as a semi respectable taxi these days.

Re Ghana, the Viva would be older than the Datsun as I think that model Violet came out in '77 or 78, by which time that style of Viva badge had been replaced by a more boring typeface.

I probably should have got out more in the 1980s, instead of reading old car brochures.

Junkman's Ponton Mercedes wins for Europe I expect, as pre Fintail must be 1959 or earlier.

As a slight tangent, my 09 Mondeo Ghia Estate is an OMG CAT C repair and lacks the 2.0 badges on the wings I was thinking of getting a couple of Cortina wing badges, the shield shape with 2000 written on them. Classy or tacky? Sadly I'm an iPhone user so I can't link a pic.