Dollywobbler's GR-8 Rover - getting better all the time

dollywobbler

So, might as well start a new thread for this. My aim is to buy a Rover 600. That's the main vehicle in my sights, though Accord Aerodecks and Volvo 850s are also hovering on the peripheral. 

I've discussed the topic in more detail on my Blog, but what it boils down to is that I'm a vain, shallow type, and I just love the looks of the 600. Just think. This could be me!

Rover%20600%20(9).jpg

Anyway, this thread exists as a record of what I set out to buy, so it can be used against me when I report that in my search for an excellent high-mileage motor, I've bought a Reliant Rialto or something.

You should be able to find a decent giffer owned example, as someone pointed out recently these Rover 600's are probably at the bottom of their price curve right now.

Angry Dicky's dad almost had to pay someone to take that tidy red 1997 620 away the other week.

What's commonly referred to as a BFB - "Better from behind". Also see BFA ("from afar").

I hung my nose over a 620TI I think.... the ones that look all giffer but have the turbo 2.0 with 197hp or something and will smoke the tyres as well as the driver smokes a pipe. 

You should be able to find a decent giffer owned example, as someone pointed out recently these Rover 600's are probably at the bottom of their price curve right now.

Angry Dicky's dad almost had to pay someone to take that tidy red 1997 620 away the other week.

That very 620 has since done about 1200 miles since, mostly local running around and seems to be doing about 35 mpg.

The only downside is it's low gearing, on the motorway it's seems to be screaming its nuts off at 90 and 70 equates to about 3,000rpm . This may be me being spoilt by modern dizzlers, the Chrysler is showing less than 2000 and Mrs N's Gaylander about 1700 in 6th.

This hasn't stopped me booking ferry tickets for the Rover and trusting it to take my 4 daughters to Brittany a week before I'm able to follow them down.

The plan was to get rid of it in September, but it's worth having it around just to save carpark dings on the more valuable cars and come the winter,I reckon with some proper tyres it will be a hoot.

Just ordered an NT sticker and a veteran motorist badge for the grille off ebay, it's already got a tin of travel sweets and tartan rug.

*Awaits someone to Photoshop a Setright beard on the Rover catalogue model*

Say "Sim-Sala-Bim" and it shall be done.

10405411_274850589369852_181974168080771

Nightfire red are the best colour of ever.

I just spotted that £650 Xantia Activa on Retro-Rides, but made the mistake of showing Mrs DW this video.

So it's ruled out on budget and sanity grounds. Bother.

If you buy it then I can almost 100% guarantee you a buyer when you come to sell it in a few months time. I can't go against my policy of 'only one mad French car at a time' or it all gets far too expensive and time consuming trying to keep them all going otherwise. If the Avantime wasn't here I would have snapped that up already.

I had one. A 620 turbo that I gave The Too Good to be true sum of £100 for.

2 months mot and a few days tax.

A lovely thing to hoon about in for a week until the inevitable hgf.

A local goon took it away to fix up as a track day toy. I bet it never turned a wheel again.

Hmmm. You may need to tell me more. PM if you like.

blue, sealed sun roof, on alloys with cow interior. Starts, stops, rare manual box - 2.1td, bosch pump, needs a patch on the sill around the B pillar on passenger side. No leaks that I know of. Too many cars makes it unused. I do need to sort out a V5 for it, involving a trip to my local DVLA office (ie Swansea) with my passport as its an import from Norn Ireland. c.180k miles, new clutch, head gasket, timing belt kit, and a major rebuild at 140k. The usual XM faults - few lines out on lh display, sun roof as above, lacquer peeling off roof. On alloys, but willmost likely come with steels and hub caps.

May require a battery but will charge it up.