free '89 scirocco

tobyd

vw scirocco '89 1.8 trailor away from Needham market, Suffolk. 

Car body is in pretty good shape, interior so-so, engine knackered and needs replacing.

Engine has some sort of hi-lift cam but no oil pressure, does have Weber dtml carburettor rather than stock pierburg. Gearbox is ok, clutch is part worn but plenty of life left in it. Pretty good battery, electronics all seem to work happily, replaced headlamp switch. Has an immobiliser. New larger sized radiator (16v size).

Alloys on good but now old and probably square rubber. New brakes pads at front.

Some form of twin pipe exhaust that might be good if you like that sort of thing.

Body in black with red from the door bump strips down. Paint of the roof faded. Sunroof that doesn't appear to leak.

Interior is ok, few rips in the headlining, no original stereo but theres a CD player thrown in if you want it. Seats are a bit worn but work, windows window down and up. No inertia reel belts at the back. Parcel shelf in terrible state. Missing VW badge on tailgate but replacement part included (now your interested I bet).

Probably a runner with a replacement engine and new tyres, probably quite good with some attention to the paint work.

Free, but needs recovering can probably be started enough to get it off the drive or bring a winch or several helpers.

Been stored in garage for last few years and occasionally dragged out and cleaned.

Greetings Brotherly!

In can confirm the Scirocco is in good shape, little or no rust and has had a LOT of money spent on it, prior to me owning it (then passing on to Toby). The interior is a bit tatty but not so far gone as to need serious work, just a bit shabby chic.

I'll have a dig around and see if I still have any pictures of it in my ownership and will post them shortly if I find any.

@KruJoe heh - I figured this is about the ideal place for it. Its too good to scrap but I've just not got the time (or space, or tools or spare) to do an engine swap and get the thing rolling again. my daily shed ('99 Octavia) keeps falling apart enough to keep my busy.

really like to fill the space with something 80s and beige with runaway electrical faults rather than needing cranes and lifts and whatnot. always a problem having things like this in a rental house. the landlord was less than impressed when the octy wee'd its brake fluid everywhere a few months back...

the 'roco has provisionally gone now!

@Stanky - is a picture of that skoda your wrecked? you'd should have kept it.

@@Stanky - why do I have one of its headlights in my garage?

@KruJoe heh - I figured this is about the ideal place for it. Its too good to scrap but I've just not got the time (or space, or tools or spare) to do an engine swap and get the thing rolling again. my daily shed ('99 Octavia) keeps falling apart enough to keep my busy.

really like to fill the space with something 80s and beige with runaway electrical faults rather than needing cranes and lifts and whatnot. always a problem having things like this in a rental house. the landlord was less than impressed when the octy wee'd its brake fluid everywhere a few months back...

the 'roco has provisionally gone now!

@Stanky - is a picture of that skoda your wrecked? you'd should have kept it.

@@Stanky - why do I have one of its headlights in my garage?

Yes, gone, but not forgotten. the tape kept the bonnet from flipping up and shattering the windscreen, once I'd opened it post-crash it refused to close again and gave me the fear whenever I drove it. 

Yes, I think you do. The backing plate or wiring harness or bulb holder looked similar to an Octavia one so thought it might be worth you keeping it for spares.chuck it if you don't want/need it.