SOUND OFF!

andrew e

one of my cars has still got an 8 track in it another has a sharp -will get photos a.s.a.p.i remember having a sharp radio casette with a audioline graphic and audioline speakers in a 1966 - 1725 hillman hunter - with furry dash - real shite in the early 80s. :roll:

The Ford self-seek rad/cass unit I've just put back in my 1986 Fiesta Ghia is rated at a mahoosive 3 watts x 2 channels, presumably that's all that the balance-fade joystick could take. Don't want to blow those paper 4 watt speakers now.

mid 80's ford speakers are atrociously terrible. I've ripped them out of my capri and stuck a set of JBLs in instead.They make speakers to fit the original holes for old fords that sound a hell of a lot better.I paid something like £20 for a pair to replace the fronts on ebay, and have mounted an 80's-tastic set of goodmans speakers atop the parcel shelf in the back... 8)

You think they were bad, my late 80's Rover 800's speakers were simply horrible, only 8 watts per speaker hooked up to a woefully underpowered old Sony CD player with 20 watts output, they blew the Rovers 8 watts speakers to dust.

The one in my Rover Sterling now is much better, it can actually handle bass, the whole set up is standard but sound great.

The best standard set up I've some across so ar must be the Vauxhall Vectra, handles bass like no ones business.

Lord Sterling

• 8 months later...

As my £200 Polo almost passed the MoT I can justify spending some cash to get some BANGIN CHUNES. It's got a normal DIN slot and 2 tiny speakers in the back, and as I don't want the car broken into, a cheap radio is in order.

Busting my Bassline on ebay at the moment are these fine specimens

Posted Image

An Audioline which seems to have all the essential features - a radio and a cassette deck so I can plug in my mp3 with a cassette adaptor. It would be about right for the 1987 Polo too.

Or there's this one...

Posted Image

A JPS stereo out of a Lotus JPS car 8) Probably no mounting bracket, and digital autoseek tuners were a bit dodgy back then, but it's a stylish bit of kit and no mistake!

What is the shite radio of choice?

I remember trying to wire 4 speakers into my Uno's stereo - trying to set the balance sent the sounds zooming diagonally across the car. In the end I fitted some "high quality" speakers in the back with some punies in the door and set the balance control to centre to get that perfect surround sound for my 80s tunes ... Now if only I'd had Westwood and his crew to hand ...

I've got a Pyeâ„¢ radio cassette player that my brother bought back in 1985 or thereabouts. Digital tuning but with an LED that travelled across the traditional tuning dial - none of that twirling the tuning knob anymore, just turn it clockwise and watch the magic LED travel across the scale. Class.Now all I need is the right car to fit it to.

My Audi 90 had the optional extra speakers... there were two thin subs mounted under the parcel shelf, with pipes through into the car. Each speaker grille hid a midrange and a seperate tweeter. Sounded awesome, think it was branded as Nokia or something equally weird!For those people wanting a retro looking stereo but without relying on casettes, have a look at the FM transmitters you can get for iPods/generic MP3 players. They either plug into the specific iPod conenctor or into any old headphone socket, and broadcast your choons on an FM frequency of your choosing. My phone has one built in so I can set an album playing, wang it in the cupholder, and tune the stereo into it. Even comes up as "NOKIA" in the RDS display :)

My Audi 90 had the optional extra speakers... there were two thin subs mounted under the parcel shelf, with pipes through into the car. Each speaker grille hid a midrange and a seperate tweeter. Sounded awesome, think it was branded as Nokia or something equally weird!

Probably. The speakers in my BMW are Nokia ones. I attempted to replace thme yesterday with someting newer and more musical (less 1992 tinny tiny!), however it ended in epic fail due to the speaker adapters not being supplied with fitting insturctions. I'll have another go in a bit, now I know I wasn't doing it right.

Normally, you get some plastic rings which screw into place where the old speakers went. The new speakers then screw into a different set of holes in the ring.

yeah, that's what I thought. Though it turns out these work differently, sussed it now - and pleasingly I have been able to re-fit the original speaker grilles, much more pleasing/subtle than some massive speaker brashly announcing it's presence on the shelf.

My Volvo had a VHF Blaupunkt fitted in 1969 that cost almost as much as the car did. It had mono sound (10W speaker), one on the parcel shelf and one at the back in the center of the parcel shelf, with a pan pot below the radio so you could have more mono in the back or more in the front.

It's being refurbed ATM, as I think if I had it on with the wipers and the headlights on a rainy night and then tried to reverse, my generator would do an Apollo 13 and spazz itself.

Celeste has a fitted LW \ MW radio, that can pick up Magic 828, the Piazza now has the Alpine out of mi 306 in it.