OMG gas guzzler Yank tank: Bid accepted, car delivered!

eddyramrod

Perhaps what I should have typed there was, "I am spending it on something I can see every day, which is the wife."  MrsR is like MrsW, no interest.

Junkman, the only thing(s) wrong with the 3.8FWD generation is, they are FWD and have electronics.  I'd be no further forward than I am in the Mercury.  I have to agree with your assessments of them: Buick is the one I would instantly choose, because soft ride.  I love a soft ride.  I had a 2000 Park Avenue on our first trip over there and it was lovely, even if it did look like a big Rover 600.  Since then I've owned a Chevy Lumina sedan and a leBaron convertible, and of course the Sable, all of the 90s generation.  They're still lovely, but the younger they are, the more electronics they have to go wrong, and it's unnecessary.  Also, they're FWD, which automatically puts them at a disadvantage.

Have you looked into those Plodge Granfifthlomats then, you know, that felt like stray dinosaurs even when new back in the 80s?

The ones that whenever you see one on a telly screen, you know exactly that it's doomed and will be smashed up within the next ten seconds?

I think a Noo Yawka flavoured one was on offer in here a while ago. They also have the advantage of often coming in surprisingly icky paint hues,

like Ijustpukedmyredwine, Shit with Egg, Sputum Metallic, or Blood Clot Pearl. Wonderful.

Have you looked into those Plodge Granfifthlomats then, you know, that felt like stray dinosaurs even when new back in the 80s?

The ones that whenever you see one on a telly screen, you know exactly that it's doomed and will be smashed up within the next ten seconds?

post-4559-0-87329100-1423932974_thumb.jpg

You mean like this one that I had a few years ago?  Yes, that would be a good choice.

By the way: despite what I've just written in the title, it's not a gas guzzler, nor a tank.  But it is American, it is for sale and compared to what's advertised elsewhere on the net, it's an absolute bagrain.  In fact it is anyway, and still would be at double the price.

That leboncoin Olds wagon isn't actually 1,000€.  It's "offers or swaps", but I think he wants a fair bit more for it than that. 

The Merc' looks like a bargain at 800 quid though.  I've been there, done that already (albeit with a Taurus) else I'd be tempted myself.

...So you won't be needing an ignition cylinder (ahem) after all then??

You win the Golden Spanner award or somat.

Crown Vic's are approaching extinction now: Cab fleets are converting to Piouses, and the cops are driving Explorers since Ford announced the end of production.

Get 'em while they're hot...

attachicon.gifCopcar003-vi.jpg

You mean like this one that I had a few years ago?  Yes, that would be a good choice.

Plymouth Volaire / gran fury? Same body but mucho badge engineering.

Remember Michael Douglas in Basic Instinct trying to keep up with the esprit driven by Sharon Stone?

I would have thought that any yank with a V8 would cost a premium over a six , no matter how shit it is.

Plymouth Volaire / gran fury? Same body but mucho badge engineering.

Remember Michael Douglas in Basic Instinct trying to keep up with the esprit driven by Sharon Stone?

I would have thought that any yank with a V8 would cost a premium over a six , no matter how shit it is.

I do remember that scene in Basic Instinct, yes, in fact I'm pretty sure I've driven some of the same roads (in a rental Suburban though...)

Your comment about the V8 is spot-on, which is why I'm perfectly prepared to take a six.  It's not like I haven't had them before, even my black-and-white was a 3.7 slant-six.  I can't deny I would like a V8, but you do what you have to do, don't you?

Oh and Billy: yes.

So, the Mercury will be available the moment it comes back from the autosparky bloke next week.  MoT June, ready to enjoy assuming we can get the display issue sorted. 

How much?  I'd like £1k, but Shiter discount will obviously apply.  Even more so if we're still struggling with the sensor feed.  If you have something like a 1980 Buick V6 kicking around that you don't really want, I'm up for px activity, cash either way.

Listen with your eyes Cavcraft tm

I've also reached a decision, that I've been flirting with for a while here.  It needs to go.  It needs to be replaced by something older, something that a proper mechanic can fix with a spanner rather than a laptop.  And preferably American.  My budget is almost non-existant (not allowed to touch the savings, they are for our holiday in September) and anyway, I can't get away with two bloody big cars in this road.  So, the Mercury will be available the moment it comes back from the autosparky bloke next week.  MoT June, ready to enjoy assuming we can get the display issue sorted. 

How much?  I'd like £1k, but Shiter discount will obviously apply.  Even more so if we're still struggling with the sensor feed.  If you have something like a 1980 Buick V6 kicking around that you don't really want, I'm up for px activity, cash either way.

Advert, Billy.  From P2, but thank you for the free bump! :-D

For anyone still interested in the tale of the speedo...

I took it to the sparky yesterday.  He couldn't find anything that would cause the symptoms directly.  However, when I told him that the speed and distance usually start registering after a couple of miles, he suggested it might be just a matter of warming up.  It's winter, it could just be too cold, try running the engine for about 10 minutes before setting off.  That's a thought!  By the time I've covered two or three miles going to work, the heater's blowing warm, the rear screen is nice and clear... yes, he might have put his finger on it there.

It's still half the price it should be, and there's still Shiter discount.

If I'm going to stand any chance of sneaking a matt black Dodge past the Mrs I need to devalue this baby even further.  Let me tempt you with a 20% drop.  Someone must be able to spare 800?  There'll still be Shiter discount, and a bacon butty....