Yes, it'll fit into a Kangoo that's already got a mountain bike in there

14560522735_c3e409abf5_o.jpgpuch 9 by Cavlover1, on Flickr

14373915928_43bdb8caf9_o.jpgpuch 8 by Cavlover1, on Flickr

14373841170_8a54bd0e09_o.jpgpuch 5 by Cavlover1, on Flickr

14373915679_b08548ea90_o.jpgPuch 4 by Cavlover1, on Flickr

14558875784_5f2a8a73be_o.jpgPuch 3 by Cavlover1, on Flickr

14537436146_0439fabc1b_o.jpgPuch 2 by Cavlover1, on Flickr

14557117071_97f034d682_o.jpgpuch 1 by Cavlover1, on Flickr

Supposedly it ran for 15 seconds then just decided that was enough. It turns over and is nearly there (I'm told) so I'll need to piss arse about with it and see if we can get it running. The lad recons the oil goes into the bottom end via a sort of cap on the bottom half of the engine, but surely these are a pre-mix job?

The lad recons the oil goes into the bottom end via a sort of cap on the bottom half of the engine, but surely these are a pre-mix job?

It'll be the gearbox oil that goes in there. The 2 stroke oil will be pre-mix or (unlikely) in a separate tank. If he's been running it on petrol that might explain why it gave up.

He said he did put petrol with 2T mixed in in the tank, so I suppose it's possible he's over-egged the oil and got the mixture wrong, possibly making it unable to fire up?

I'll ask tomorrow what oil he's put in the bottom end and pray to the God of funky mopeds that it wasn't 2T.

Guest Breadvan72

Yeah, but shame you never had a motorbike, eh? 

Ooops, missed acronymic gag, derr, me thickee. 

Ok, investigation into non-starting time.

First, the 'sensible' way of trying the basics. Plus off, rest on engine, no spark. AHA! so that's the problem. Looked at the pretty comic wiring which looked a bit frayed where it went into the all-expenses-spared plastic white blocks.

Fiddled with that, fiddled with headlight switch, fiddled with plug cap (useless) spare plug I found in garage and fiddled with the fuel.

Naff all.

Son comes home with his fancy tools and knowledge. Stator plate (or whatever it's called) cover off, fiddled some more, tested electrical things. No joy.

Son notices the stator plate/flywheel thing isn't turning. More pissing about.

puchagain.jpg

Hey son, what's that little lever for? Uh-oh, it's the one you pull in when you've pedalled like mad that makes it try and start! Oh well, an hour wasted but at least we know what it does now!

It's nearly there so tomorrow (all being well) we'll check the gaps and what not and see if it'll fire up.

Whanged the carb off today and piss arsed about with the points. Healthy spark present, fuel getting fuel and we had a handful of back-firing type noises but no actual go yet. 

I reckon we're not too far away now, going to come back to it tomorrow.

Compression seems ok, but wouldn't really know what to expect. Not sure about a decomp lever sorry, but it has got that small black lever on the left hand bar you pull in when you've got the pedals going at a decent speed. 

Are you sure there isn't a blockage in the carb? In my experience with these things if there;s a good spark and the compression seems ok there's not much else it can be! Father has a silver one I got going a few months ago which must have been in a canal or something because the engine was literally full of water but remarkably managed to get it to run although I suspect the bearings are on borrowed time!

I dream, almost yearly, that I didn't sell my RD350LC to buy a beaten up 1974 mini 1000, in 1988.

It was actually 375 cc, but when you have grooves in the cylinder walls after a seizure at 90 mph,  you end up with pistons bigger than the dealer can obtain. (3mm oversize with an offset bore to remove the worst 2mm deep groove)

But good god.  My nan had one of them new in the 70's and would whizz about Banbury at 15 mph, in her crash helmet from the 50's, with her leather gantlets.  I want an RD125LC from the 80's as I reckon I could now build one to hit 100 MPH.  If not I'd have fun trying.

Never had one but they were quite popular in the early 80's. I remember some guys in my year at school continually trying to out-do each other in the mines-faster-than-yours stakes. The boasting and exaggeration was similar to the crap golfers spout about how far they hit the silly white ball with the long bat. IIRC, the claims topped out with one doing 'nearly 80'.