Austin Allegro 1.3 sdl

DodgyBastard

I wonder why the wing is so bad given the rest of it looks so sound. Is this Harvest Gold? its a brilliant colour combo. As for values, these were worth so little for so long, but now everybody thinks theres only 330 left cos Keith Adams/Howmanyleft says so, they can only go one way.

Tax exemption beckons in a year or so, unless some fat grumpy sod* gets to be chancellor next year and freezes it again.

*other politicians are available.

If you treat it as a Prototype metro, you have it cracked. Or a Morris 1000 replacement.

I have an Allegro Problem, all in my head like a mild mental illness.

My Granddad had a 1976 1500 Twin Carb 5 speed Vandom plas with "old persons" dents (not big, not many) and 13K on the clock.  I have memories of sitting in the back seat (head on the roof) heading for picnic city in the Cotswolds, at 35 mph in 3rd (HE ONLY EVER USED 3RD) , with Granny map reading, and her making helpful suggestions about his shit driving. (He probably couldn't see very far)

In 1991 he gave up driving but kept the car taxed and insured, and got people to take him to the shops in it.  In 1993 I needed a car, desperate, first child sapping the money, and I phoned him and asked if I could buy it off him (I thought the going rate to be about £600, and was prepared to offer a £10 a week payment plan).  He'd just given it to my Uncle, and so I phoned him and he told me it was a classic and worth £2K, so I offer to 'look' after it for him as he didn't need or actually want it.  I even offered £2k that I didn't actually have, but he still refused.  My wife told me to "let it fucking drop".  So I did.

Roll on to 2000, and his funeral.  I foolishly asked my uncle in passing what happened to the car, and he explained he'd taken the number plate off it and left it in the garage, and as soon as his dad had died, he'd scrapped it. My wife whispered "Let it Fucking drop" so I did.

But it still drives me mental. I could NEVER own an allegro, because I can never own the one I wanted.

My Granddad had a 1976 1500 Twin Carb 5 speed Vandom plas with "old persons" dents (not big, not many) and 13K on the clock.  I have memories of sitting in the back seat (head on the roof) heading for picnic city in the Cotswolds, at 35 mph in 3rd (HE ONLY EVER USED 3RD) , with Granny map reading, and her making helpful suggestions about his shit driving. (He probably couldn't see very far)

That reminds me of what a colleague once told me about his old landlord. The guy was in his 80s and when he took his Allegro on a long journey he would carry a pair of binoculars to read the motorway signs.

14491303620_a1265a535a_c.jpgSlave cylinder bodge by srblythe, on Flickr

I bought this for the All Agro thinking it would be a direct replacement as it looked exactly the same in the ebay ad.
It wasn't the same, the original hydraulic hose has an m12x1mm thread and the new cylinder has a 3/8" imperial thead. my local engineering shop didn't have any specific adapters so I welded 2 different types together. It's not pretty but should hopefully be ok...