I need a new shed!

Lankytim

Hi gang.

I have one of those B&Q style sheds. Its 8 years old and has rotted away underneath, Plus rats are now living in it thanks to the various holes and supply of rabbit food. If I leave it much longer the rats are going to pick it up and walk off with it.

I need a new shed, but something that's going to last and be rat proof. The big issue is that by budget is approx £0.50.

I've noticed that concrete sectional garages are mega cheap on ebay scondhand, many are basically free if you remove them. Has anybody got any experience of dismantling one, moving it and re-erecting it? Did it look shit? How good do the foundations need to be? If I get a full on garage I can store my Maestro van trailer in it, which will keep it out of the elements AND use it as a workshop as well as storage. How cool would that be?

NEED INPUT.

You need a concrete slab to bolt them down to.

I moved one circa 1990 from one end of the garden to another end of the garden so that we could fit a caravan in. They are physically hard graft but piss easy to move.

Budget for fixings (nails & bolts) and roofing material as that is unlikely to survive a move intact.

If you can build an airfix / meccano kit you can re-build a concrete sectional garage. Pretty sure you can adjust teh size too by adding / subtracting sections.

My Home built wooden shed set me back £650 plus 8 days solid building time.

the first picture shows the 14 year old rotten  from Shedshitty, shed that was pretty much rotten, which didn't fill the gap, so in the 4th picture you can see the use of space behind it (there was 9 inches in which I could slide past the shed to the back)

Picture 1 also shows my son, youngest nephew, and father in law.

Picture 3 is the finished article.  You might notice that the tongue and grove, shows some patina. 

I used as much of the old walls as I could. as well as the glass and the old door (shortened to remove an inch of rot)

As far as using an old garage.  The issue will be removing the rusty coach bolts holding it together,(angle grinder ?)  and the fact that each piece weighs a bloody tonne. When our garage was put up, too blokes with arms as wide as my waist, manhandled each piece up the drive, and had it bolted together and up in 2 hours.  How are you going to move the pieces ?

post-17612-0-66269500-1403806681_thumb.jpg

post-17612-0-04671500-1403806807_thumb.jpg

post-17612-0-86882700-1403806847_thumb.jpg

post-17612-0-68461400-1403806946_thumb.jpg

post-17612-0-42288300-1403807242_thumb.jpg

post-17612-0-32240400-1403807537_thumb.jpg

post-17612-0-60108000-1403807585_thumb.jpg

I'm getting shed envy here. No space for one for me.

Me mum has one of these, pricey but easy as pie to put up and won't rot!

I'd suspect the shitey version involves a few days with a cement mixer laying a base and then getting one of the free/cheap second hand garages to put on it.

The thing is, by the time you've got the concrete, put a new roof on etc, I would expect it's going to run you a 2-3 hundred quid at least.

My one-time father in law always had old vans for chicken sheds - cheap or free and easy to make fox proof.

Old caravans can be similarly cheap - we use one to store firewood.

post-5223-0-50496700-1403869968_thumb.jpg

It's a little bit too small for a full winter's supply though, and is (apparently) an eyesore though, so I'm building a shed next to it. Apart from the uprights, it's all been free so far - the rest of the timber was either being given away or freshly felled by me. Cladding it will be the expensive bit though...

Re the rabbit food question, try storing it in metal dustbins with bricks on top - it won't stop the rats smelling it, or getting into the shed, but severely limits their ability to eat the stuff once they have got in. Mutha_Stanky used to keep chickens and ducks and we found that was the only way to stop the effing things from eating all the corn and feed we stored in the sheds we had at the time. Rats will get into any shed if they can smell food IMHO (with the possible exception fo what Ratdat has suggested, but i'd be welding plates over the windows and putting a mantrap door on the container before believing that it was truly 'rat-proof'

Possibly worth looking in small ads/local shop windows for people getting rid of sheds. My local post office has a small ads thing in the window and there is almost always someone offering a shed or greenhouse FOC for anyone prepared to take it away.