Jaaag XJ6 NOW SOLD.

Spiny Norman

Apologies for what is going to be quite a non-event of a collection thread, but if anyone was wondering who it was that bought Dome's old Jag XJ6, (Thread HERE ) then wonder no more, because t'was I. 8)

The collection was nothing more interesting than jumping on a train through to Haymarket in Edinboghorror where I was met by Brian in his rather rorty Porsche 944 and off we went to his gaff to give the old girl a once-over.

I've got to say it looks better in the flesh than it does in the pictures, apart from the slightly skew-wiff bonnet and Stevie Wonder paint job on the back door it's a really tidy old bus and it drives absolutely spot on.

A Jaaaag's been on the 'boxes to tick' list for a while and the Daewoo wasn't really 'me' so after a few beers and a couple of PMs and a few more beers I thought 'An XJ6 for £500, WCPGW?'

I'll smoke it around for a bit and see how we get on together, if I decide it's not for me or it bankrupts me I'll offer it back on here again if anyone wants a shot.

Obligatory petrol station-type shot, but for a bit of variety here's one at the air line where the spare tyre was getting a puff.

XDUXx8y.jpg

Ba03Sbv.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm almost exactly a month into ownership of the Jaaag XJ6 3.2 Popular Plus, so how's it going I hear you ask? ;)

Rather swimmingly if I'm honest, even if some aspects of owning and driving an XJ6 aren't quite what I'd expected.
I'm surprised at how heavy it feels, I'd imagined a more 'American' feeling car with finger light steering & brakes, but they're both a lot meatier than I'd been expecting, probably due to it being a 'Sport' (AKA base) model. It drives really well though, the ride quality from the suspension is everything I'd hoped for, it's as good as an oil sprung Citroen and a lot quieter too. With the windows shut it's almost like driving a sensory deprivation tank, apart from a very distant and muffled acknowledgement from the N/S/F shock absorber that there are bumps underneath being dealt with but that's allegedly just a strut mount and the radio drowns it out for now. 

It feels special though, I'm not sure how robotised Brown's Lane was when these were being built but it has the same sort of semi-hand built feeling as the old Saab 900s used to and even in this base 'Popular Plus' trim (no aircon, no cruise, no sunroof, no leccy memory seats, basic 'Granny's sideboard' wood and lots of plastic on the door trims) it's still very much a luxury car.

It has a few minor issues, all of which I was made aware of before I bought it, and touch wood so far nothing new has gone wrong with it.
That minor rattle from the front suspension will only get worse I guess, and I've still to source a new bonnet in the correct colour (it looks fine in the pics, because Photoshop. ;) ) Also the heater doesn't seem to heat up. The fans work fine and it seems to be the motorised flaps in the distribution box that need attention/hit with a hammer to free them up, but given the weather we're having just now, it's not a top priority.

So my first Jaaag is proving to be quite fun so far. Every journey is an experience, and for positive reasons. Life is good. :)

Gave it a wash & scrub up the other day, so have some pics.

phJx5nd.jpgO98kwf9.jpgzYclGq2.jpgwueNIHX.jpguzDOUoz.jpgO8PJ0yH.jpg

According to the bods on the XJ40 forum it often just needs a whack to free it up. It's not the actual blower fan, which I understand is a major job, but the little flaps inside the air box that seize up with lack of use. If it comes to it I think you can pull the motors off and just manually move them without taking too much apart.

I'm not a DIY-er so it'll be going to a garage or getting mothballed come winter if there's serious dash dismantlage to be done.

Lovely! I love an old xj40. Had about 7 so an addict more or less. Got my first aged 22, a breathless 2.9 sov, rare as now, but back then it was the cheapest jag in proximity to my house. It had grace, but pace it was lacking in, still it made a 22 year old me feel very special whenever I drove it.

Yours looks lovely, hope you keep us updated with your progress!

Dome....The Arfur Daley of the north...you want a quality Jag...u know who to call!

Dome ' s Horseless Carriage Company

I think I'll get that written on my tombstone...

Glad she's doing you well Ian. That was the only downside to my collarbone healing, I had no excuse to keep it:(

I like the wheels, are they standard or from a later model?

Wheels are the originals on that model. I really like them, together with the colour and the deep front spoiler they make the car look far less of a grandad chariot than old Jaaags often do.

That was the only downside to my collarbone healing, I had no excuse to keep it:(

Aye, but I bet you're going at least twice as far as I am on every £50's worth of fuel you buy with your new one. Plus you've still got your 944 to keep you entertained. :)

• 1 month later...

Well, now I can say I've owned a Jaaag and it's been GR8 fun. :)

Unfortunately it's time to get sensible again since there's a good chance I'll need to start using the car to get to work rather than the bus, so if anyone fancies it let me know.

The basics are still as they are above. I haven't done anything to it so it still needs a new bonnet, the heater still doesn't work and the N/S shock still rattles a bit over rough ground. There are the usual minor nicks and scuffs and a couple of 'they all do that Sir' things to do with the comatose oil pressure gauge and an occasional slight puff of smoke on start up after it's been sitting a while. It uses no oil or water from what I can tell, and there are no leaks into the cabin or boot. It lives outside and even during some of Glasgow's finest summer* weather it's bone dry inside.

Mileage is just under 70k, backed up by full MOT history. It drives well, all the leccy stuff works and it has been functioning perfectly well as AN CAR in the couple of months I've had it.

MOT till December 1st, tax until this Sunday (31/8) I have the full V5 and tax renewal form and could tax at the new owners expense.

There are MOAR pics here .... http://imgur.com/a/cZPoB#0

I've had it on Scumtree for a week or so at the usual exorbitant rates so they can chip hundreds off it but so far all I've had is the usual timewasting fuckwits.
It was worth every penny of what I paid Brian for it and I'd probably get more if I could be arsed hanging on, but I'd far rather deal with normal people and just get my money back on it.

It's got a few weeks less tax on it than it had when I bought it, so I'd like £450 for it from any of the regulars on here, no offers but a swap for something a bit smaller and not too old (90s on) may be of interest.

6wO8Z6x.jpg

(if you show this to my better half tonight she will murderise me)

Awww go on, it was her birthday last week. I've washed & polished it specially..... ;)

Is it bad on petrol then!

It does low 20s in town driving and 30 ish on a run, depending on speed. If mpg bothers you, forget it.