Twingo 1.2 LHD manual for sale, runs, TÜV until January, NOVA delaration filed, £250 +++ SOLD +++

John F

OK, in response to popular demand*...

007_zps5c9edc6f.jpg

Twingo Mk 1, 1.2 manual, registered in Germany in October 1995, LHD, with approx. 160,000 miles on the clock. Engine and gearbox are in fine fettle, just completed a 700-mile trip from Germany loaded up to the gills without complaint. The car has 6 months' German TÃœV,

013_zpsfe4babaf.jpg

Bodywork is good for its year, a few trolley dings and scratches (see pics) but no sign of rust anywhere (I plated the usual Twingo rust spots under the front wheelarches and back of the nearside sill for its last TÃœV).

015_zps6ce0939d.jpg

(^ the scratches look much worse in that pic than they do in real life, a lot of what appear to be scratches are reflections of crap on the road)

009_zpsefb56328.jpg

The window seals have also swelled a bit at the ends, although they don't let water into the interior and the metalwork is not rusty underneath them.

012_zps19078cff.jpg

The interior is good, if rather intensely blue (apart from the heater control knob which is lime green). The stitching has come away slightly around the left-hand bolster of the driver's seat but the seat fabric is still OK. The dashboard is fine (hard plastic) and the carpets & headlining are in good condition. It's got a radio.

006_zpsda7c0cbe.jpg

005_zps3c8ef097.jpg

004_zps2b1ee388.jpg

003_zps0acc5aa6.jpg

002_zps77fe4be5.jpg

014_zps33f2aa34.jpg

The Twingo works as it should APART FROM:

- the dashboard indicator repeater doesn't repeat (the indicators still work properly though)... apparently this is a common fault & is fixed by replacing the indicator relay.
- driver's (left-hand) electric mirror can only be adjusted up/down, left/right adjustment doesn't appear to work and I've not had chance to look at it to find out why.
- central locking doesn't lock / unlock the boot (although it can be locked manually). Again, I haven't investigated this.
- I suspect the nsf wheel bearing will need replacing in the next few thousand miles or so

The car is still registered in Germany and will need changing to UK registration. This involves getting a certificate of conformity from Renault, fitting a fog light to the offside (in place of the one currently on the nearside), fitting beam pattern adjusters to the headlights and thus getting a UK MoT.

The Twingo's plates have to be sent over to Germany to be cancelled, so some arrangement may have to be made in terms of delivery to new owner (e.g. new owner collects it on a trailer or with trade plates OR Twingo is followed to its new home (if reasonably local to West Yorks) & the plates are brought back afterwards, etc.).

Price?

As it stands, £500.

Wow, interiors don't get any more 1995 than that, do they?

Not for me, but GLWTS and have a bump to stop it dropping off the front page.

I've always been a fan of these but unfortunately, due only to a lack of space... I'm out.

Don't forget the NOVA declaration though, will make a sale much easier without the dreaded HMRC looming heavy with fines over such a splendid little motor!

Ooo, NOVA... thanks for the reminder!

‘fraid I reckon an untested condition 2/3 German reg’d Twingo is just pretty unvaluable. I have seen UK reg’d ones in similarly usable but scruffy condition go through ebay for 350 quid-ish and this one obvs needs MOT’d and then the usual paperwork lottery nonsense with the grade A bo11ock-hats at Swansea before you can drive it. If it was UK regd it would be a bit easier prospect but I’d still rate it at £6-700 quiddish max

^ Which is why I was asking the question whether it would attract more interest if it was UK-registered...

Charlie / mat: cheers for the declarations of love for Twingoid (sorry mat, it does need to be cash money - love don't pay the rent... or mortgage in this case)  :-)

There's no rush to sell tbh, I'm recommissioning most of my fleet at the moment (Calibra passed MoT yesterday, Series 2a Landy on the ramps at the moment,) so won't have time to deal with Twingo for a while yet unless someone wants it enough to move it up the queue. I'll update this thread with any news.

I'm with Boll on this one.

I need another car like a 3rd wife, but do eye the occasional Twingo with passing interest. Your car fits my preference, but distant & price put me off.

If I wanted a foreign registered, I can whizz over to Calais & choose from several priced around 4-500 euros,  & organise my own NOVA/ MOT etc .

However, there now seem to be enough here, UK registered (-which can be a hassle with the Local Offices now gone) at or around the £500 mark to make that trip redundant.

I'll probably wait till they are all nearly extinct -which wont be long, before snaffling a real munta!

So -if you were closer?UK reg/cheaper etc etc etc . GLWTS

Well, I can't do much about the distance, Nigel... :-D

As for price, well... there were just two early Twingos for sale in the UK when I wrote the advert - one UK registered & low miles for £1600 and one German-registered, a year older, fairly tatty and £1000. So at half that price - including UK registration, if it comes to that - I don't think I'm asking over the odds, and most people don't have the luxury of just being able to pop over to Europe & buy one.

Anyway, thanks for the GLWTS.

• 4 months later...

Ooo, NOVA... 

JOHNNY FIVE IS ALIVE

I once nearly bought one of these with a 1.4 turbo lump in from a 5GTT. It had popped the head gasket though, and even at £1500 it sounded like a pain in the arse given the engine was such a tight fit that an oil filter change meant the engine had to be part lifted off the mounts.

Also, it seems that if you do more than 199km/h on the digital speedo, it goes wappy and won't read properly again.

RIGHT.

I'm starting to rationalise my shite collection (i.e. I'm creating room for yet more shite in the shape of a VW LT camper), so TWINGOID MUST GO.

Price is now £250 firm. The car starts & drives and has TÜV (German MOT) until January. See above for more details of minor faults.

It's being de-registered next week, so any shiter that wants to have a test drive must come & view the car THIS WEEKEND. It won't have number plates as of next week.

It'll then need trade-plating or trailering to its new home, but shipping could be arranged with Kru_Joe's trailer at diesel cost. Unless you live in e.g. Burkina Faso in which case you can sort it out for yourself. And if you do live in Burkina Faso, congratulations on recently deposing your despot President Blaise Campaoré, and best of luck with his replacement which will probably be a military junta of some sort.

But I digress.

Drop me a PM if you're interested in the Twingo - as I say, it can be test-driven this weekend and then can move on to its new home when I get back from Germany on 3rd December..