Maestro van, anyone?

Cavcraft

Right, after much consideration the hateful 'new' Renault Kangoo is going to be more use to me than this van, so it's regrettably up for sale. 

1986 (I think) Maestro 1.3 (petrol) van.

MOT somewhere around April 2015

Taxed for a couple of months.

1275cc (A+ engine, I would think)

5 speed box

216GTi seats.

Towbar and electrics (untested)

Been a great runner and done more than one job for me, plus Panhard65 drove it up to Chester from literally effing miles and miles away.

Body work is 'interesting', some years back it'd been fully restored but since then time hasn't been so kind to it and it wants some tidying up if truth be told. 

The interior is a bit scruffy but I'll clean it up.  

Panhard said the gear change was a struggle, especially going from 4th to 5th but I've never missed a gear or struggled so it's probably settled in now or something.

Maestro p.jpg

maestro r.jpg

maestro o.jpg

So there it is. I'm not in the market for a swap sorry, at a push I'd take something cheaper and cash my way, though prefer straight money sale.

I'll include the orange flashing beacon and CB radio (not shown) if wanted.

£399, cash on collection from Chester. I'll happily deliver within reason (and time permitting) for fuel plus train home but time is tight and I can't be arsed going too far! If within about 25 miles I'll put my bike in the back and cycle home afterwards.

It's exactly 274,000,000 times nicer than the Renault that's replaced it but the Renault has the headroom I need and this doesn't.

*Edit: I really do NOT want to put it on Gumtree or whatever as it'll end up in the hands of someone who will probably just wreck it then weigh it in in two months time or something.

I don't reckon you need it to be a diesel, the 1.3 engine mated to a five speed is pretty shockingly frugal and a diesel is just a lot of hassle for a car that's going to be noisier, slower and about as much per mile to drive.

Obviously, I don't want it now, though the addition of a flashy light does make it that little bit more appealing.

Tis nice and a few years ago I'd have loved one of these with a mattress in the back and a small camping stove. 

In these days of post trouser snake "putting it about a bit" Im inclined to prefer something like  a Bingo or even the Kangaroo, though not the Kanga as much as a Bingo. I think I'll get the Mav tested and look at swapping it out for a Bingo. All the height, none of the fun.

Wait. An A series? With a 5 speed box ? NO !!!!!

Yes the Maestro used a VAG unit strapped to the end of it rather than the in sump version used in the Mini/Metro.

The engine's in 'backwards' too.

My old Maestro had an A(+) series lump with a four on the floor box on the end of it. Great little hooning tool that was. It got thrashed everywhere and loved it.

The A+ gained a head built for unleaded, and probably other tweaks.

My old mad said buy a Maestro and don't pass Billy's on the way

Captain Slow: It had a major going over by that bloke, there's a thread on the Maestro forum about it.

A friend in Maidstone is after a cheap, basic vehicle for  15 mile each way commute to his landscaping job.  I showed him one single picture of the Maestro and he said "yes, I want that".  I tried to talk him out of it (but not very much), so I might have to help him collect it and I might have to drive it, probably.

It's a long way from Chester to Maidstone, that much I do know.