Vanshite

phil_lihp

Long shot, this, but you never know.

My sister's having to move house quickly and slightly unexpectedly, probably at the end of next week.  Money is tight so I'm trying to help where I can - however I'm in Devon and she's in Swansea.

I have some furniture bits here which I'll likely need to take up to her and of course we then need to move her to her new flat.  My thought was to hire a van here which will be about £55 a day plus fuel but then I wondered if it would work to buy a dirt cheap van then sell it afterwards.  Problem being insurance - very expensive as there'll be no no claims bonus - and having anywhere to put it when it's not being used.

I can't seem to find anything borderline roadworthy that's big enough for a house move (i.e. Transit-sized) anyway for less than £500 - £600.  Anyone got anything?

Or - and this might be a bit cheeky - anyone got one I could borrow for a day or two?

#35835 icon_share.png anonymous user

• photo-thumb-3477.jpg?_r=1378838115
  • 860 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:09 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f3790f39c

$_57.JPG

I like this a lot but I'm not in a position to do anything about it yet.  However, after it's completed a house move and maybe a couple of tip runs, I might be!  In which case, you wouldn't need to worry about disposal, some northern nutter will press folding into your palm and drive away muttering. ;)

Those Vanettes look dreadfully unpleasant.  I've seen a couple of LDV Convoys fairly cheap but they're 1) Minging and 2) Knackered plus, as above, a fairly horrendous prospect for a long trip.

Eddie, thanks for the suggestion but I think that might be a step too far!  I would need something that's ready to work.  I strongly suspect hiring is the only realistic option but thought I'd try thinking outside the box!

Tony Hawks had the same idea in A Piano in the Pyrenees http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=nKeK8zdpPTkC&lpg=PA36&ots=fMOxzwwWiv&dq=piano%20in%20the%20pyrenees%20transit&pg=PA35#v=onepage&q&f=false Spoiler alert- it didn't end well.

If there's any distance at all involved in the move I would advise hiring a Luton, you run out of space quite quickly in a Transit once you start putting furniture in.

• 4 years later...

To avoid starting another thread I'll just reuse this one because the title is about right.

We currently have a 1996 crew cab LDV 400 which is used a general lugging stuff around, collecting bits of plate, building houses, moving machinery and that sort of thing. For those people who know their civil defence/fireman strikes we believe it is one of the BART vehicles that were specced to carry rescue/BA around after the Green Goddesses when the firemen went on strike. This means it came with a very nice (and I assume very expensive because HMG was paying) RSG hydraulic tail lift which made it pretty much ideal for what we do when we aren't working. It's the one with the ancient Pug engine. After 16 years and about 70K miles in our hands the old girl has reached the end of the road so we need a new(er) one.

The body/tail lift will come off and go on the next one.

The thing is that we are not well up on more modern vans. The crew cab was a nice to have but CC Transits do seem to be rather expensive for what they are and most seem to have lead a hard life by the time they have dropped into our budget (£5K or so max). It looks like we'll have to make do with a single cab. It looks like most within budget have done between 100K and 150K miles. Annual mileage will be 4-5K and workshop facilities here are best described as OK I suppose.

What is the view on the:

- Nissan Cabstar or

- Iveco Daily

I don't suppose anyone has a crew cab Transit on a 62 plate that hasn't been worked to death, bodged up, been lathered in wheel silver or run by Muddy McMud Ltd Your First Stop For Mud, Clay and other Claggy Things for about £5K? No, thought not.

If you can deal with it being a bit beaten up what about buying a crashed one?

I bought my Cat C van for £6k at 2 years old / 30k miles, it looks like shit but apart from having to buy a rear light has needed no work to make it legal. Just passed its first MOT.

Bought mine from South West Salvage in Tewkesbury. I found it the best way to get into as new a van as possible cheap-ish, would rather have a bent one then the type of vans you describe in your last sentence there

Long shot, this, but you never know.

My sister's having to move house quickly and slightly unexpectedly, probably at the end of next week.  Money is tight so I'm trying to help where I can - however I'm in Devon and she's in Swansea.

I have some furniture bits here which I'll likely need to take up to her and of course we then need to move her to her new flat.  My thought was to hire a van here which will be about £55 a day plus fuel but then I wondered if it would work to buy a dirt cheap van then sell it afterwards.  Problem being insurance - very expensive as there'll be no no claims bonus - and having anywhere to put it when it's not being used.

I can't seem to find anything borderline roadworthy that's big enough for a house move (i.e. Transit-sized) anyway for less than £500 - £600.  Anyone got anything?

Or - and this might be a bit cheeky - anyone got one I could borrow for a day or two?

...similiarly Ive had to help my sister whenever she was moving house; a few times over the years; either myself or my brother had some sort of decrpid/ mostly legal biscuit tin vans; usually vw T4 D's; more recently; her last two moves we just had to 'borrow' a trailer whenever the need arose (ie; her rented gaff's landlord wanting to cash in on the inflation in house prices n sell the house...) - this led to fractured nerves n short words as said trailers often had circus clown car like loose bearings, with pricess tat onboard, like a faux leather 3 piece couch or 4 ornate greek pillars etc etc .

...anyways last time she was moving she employed the services of a box rigid truck  'moonlighting delivery driver' who had the truck for the weekend; I think she 'employed him' via some group on FB; this made the whole process quicker, less fractious on inter sibling relations, tho we did still do a few trailer load runs ourselves for the 'kids toys', garden furniture etc 

the fella was a true gent, n brought along his lad; he did it all in one trip; loaded n unloaded each end, n even arranged some of the furniture; One days moving; it was usually 2 or 3 with us, so I think the cost ie diesel, paying the chap in cash - was 'comparative' to having to put us up n buy our beer/food each evening...

I'm occasionally offering 3-4 year old ex-rental fodder on here but the gaffer was talked into leasing by the accountant so there will be thin pickings on the 3.5T front for the next year or so.  He's agreed not to do it again so cheap Peugeots should be available again in the future.

I think the only thing going soon is a 15 plate Swift that our tame trader is phoning about on a weekly basis.