Anyone fancy a slice of Red Robbo's Revenge?

r.welfare

Remember that 820 Sterling I told you about? Well, I have spent the last 3 hours fannying about with it, so here are some pics!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I knew that the current owner had not done anything with it since I first saw it last week, so I took my spare battery from my garage along with some tools and a bucket and sponge before journeying down this morning. First job was to bosh the battery on, imagine my surprise when the old girl fired straight up - gaining a standing ovation from the owner's kids! Not bad for an old Cowley Shed that has sat for 6 months.

Next job was to try and free off the handbrake, this was achieved by putting it in gear and giving it some beans. A quick low-speed drive round their close revealed a good clutch and 'box, and the footbrake seems OK - although the handbrake definitely needs work, as it has loads of travel and only seems to (partially) work with the lever pointing towards the sunroof.

The exhaust is pretty shot, sounds like the downpipe (manifold seems OK) and the MOT failure sheet seems to indicate the rear box is none too healthy too. But I left it idling for an hour while I washed it and there was no overheating or smoke, quite pleased with that! Idle sounds fluffy at times, probably down to the exhaust blow, but interestingly the "Check Engine" light does not illuminate.

After a quick wash and brush up the next job was to check the electrics; amazingly (for an old Rover) it all works, with the exception of the front passenger window which only goes up/down in 1-inch increments. Annoying, but usually means a dry solder joint in the fusebox. Fully loaded this bad boy certainly is. Thankfully, the radio code was present in the service history so I was able to enjoy Radio 2 while playing with everything.

So - it's up for sale, on eBay in fact (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170275857669), as I have finally decided I don't really have the time to repatriate it to the road. Anyone interested? In terms of price the owner isn't expecting much - wave a ton under his nose and he'll bite your arm off up to the shoulder I would say - and I reckon someone handy (handier than me!) with the spanners could have it up and MOT'd for about £200-ish in parts and a weekend's work (handbrake, 3 tyres, anti-roll bar bushes and exhaust, which may actually only need bodging).

Car is in Gosport - if anyone is interested, PM me. Lord Sterling - could you copy/paste onto Rover800.info?

Looks a nice one... with a little work could be a good car for long enough. Always had a penchant for these cars & used to enjoy driving them when they were new.Loads of folk slag off Rovers but I've always liked them. Used to work at a Rover dealership too which has probably fed my liking of them - I didn't have to work on them!

Lord Sterling - could you copy/paste onto Rover800.info?

Done, thread can be found here: Red Robbo's Revenge

That's a fantastic looking car, I wish I had the money/space otherwise I'd definiately have it.

...Loads of folk slag off Rovers...

Yes, by people who know nothing about Rover's and/or have never driven one I find.

Then when they get into one (Like an 800) they are absolutaly astonished and look as if to say "Why did I listen to them and think Rovers were bad?"

Lord Sterling

You certainly seem to have nailed the art of convincing Ebay descriptions Mr Welfare. Hell, it's almost making me want to win the auction and drag the Sterling over here for some more MOT-free action!

Wow that looks nice. Most of the 800s I see now just look old and tired but that there looks fresh.My head tells me to stay away from them but my heart would have a Tahiti Blue Vitesse Turbo in a flash. Still got the massive brochure from when the 800 was current.I quite like the view of the bonnet from the drivers seat.Nice car that!

Mk2_Craig - I'd like to take full credit for my eBay description, but I took a lead from a chap called Lewis on Retro Rides; it's a shameless copy of his format. Have used this format for a number of car sales, seems to result in "you undersold this M8" feedback, so I wonder if it lowers the final price by being so honest...

Lord Sterling - thanks.

Mr Bo11ox - if this makes anything near 300 sheets I will buy you a whole case of Cobra and have it shipped to Crewe at my own expense.

800's seem to polarise opinion, as do Rovers in general - the fella I am selling this for has had no other make of car in his driving career, and now has a V-plate 825 Sterling coupe.

The 820 I had before was much worse than this (buggered 'box and clutch, plus exhaust and electrical issues), although that was my own fault for not going into the "deal" (it was free via Torsten!) with my eyes open. This one seems to have a good clutch and 'box, but the 2-litres do seem to eat exhausts for some reason, on the plus side it sounds like a BDA Scrote at the moment :lol:

Having said that the equipment count is tremendous on a Sterling, it all seems to work, and one would hope that, by the end of production, the boys at Cowley knew how to screw 'em together properly.

Meanwhile my wife thinks the fact I have turned it down is hilarious, this is the first "purchase" that she has pre-approved, usually I just return home with a new car quite sheepishly. But maybe fatherhood has changed me...realistically though both Peugeots should stay as they are running GR8 after the usual expenditure to make 'em 100% reliable; the Sterling just wouldn't be used that much and that would do it no good in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...