GR8 4 A-FRAMIN'!

pogweasel

O HAI HAD U 4GOTTEN ME?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just spent a couple of hours unearthing my Hillman Supa Minks from the dusty hovel I've had it hidden in for the last 12 months. Now residing in a nice comfy garage round the corner from my house so hopefully, at last, I can really crack on with it. YAY.

I am also delighted to report that the 325i is GR8 4 tat-draggin'. It's all about the grunt. Even had it showing 40mpg up the A1 with that big lump of 60's Coventry bilge shackled to the back. Winner.

Anyone else got any GR8 A-frame action shot? :lol:

My longest-evAr A-frame mission is happenin next week, heres the rig:

Posted Image

Heres the route, 575 miles:

Posted Image

Preparations have so far included a new cambelt and clutch in the volvo, plus I have insured the subaru for fatha_bo11ox to drive in case the Eurocops tell us to ditch the A-frame. Its giving me that 'tumble dryer' feeling in my stomach already!

If only they had digital cameras or I could have been bothered to take an ordinary snap when I A-framed a Riley 1.5 behind an A40 (Farina). :-)A MkI (no engine) A40 on a trailer behind my MkII A40 would have been a great photo as well.

My longest-evAr A-frame mission is happenin next week

Is it that Chrysler 2-litre? It's the only thing I can think of which you'd be insane enough to go over to France to obtain.

A-Frames are for girls, you're not a real man until you've towed a car with a rope, especially if the car behind has no brakes.... For the steep downhill sections we swapped it around so the towcar was at the back.The more I think about stuff I did when I was younger, the more I think I should be dead by now. :oops:

Sadly not - neither of us thought to pack a camera when mate Martin and self dragged three-quarters of a rotten 2CV behind the XM from Basingstoke to Stafford.Still, the plod we passed on the M40 saw the funny side... :shock::D

its not so far- done it many many times. Furthest was Berlin -to collect my Trabbie Tramp.

You travel no slower on European m/ways -worst part of the journey is over here.

I just book car & trailer on the ferry -cheaper than 2.

But -WHATS HE BRINGING BACK????

I've booked two cars on the outbound leg as it was cheaper than a trailer slot!!

Now then, what am I bringing back? NOTHING sadly. I am taking the Subaru and stashing it in the bo11ox museum, plus doing some other non-car stuff related to the facilities at this site. I will actually bring back a towing dolly which I have got over there, but only so I can then flog it to help pay for the trip. Mental eh? coming back from france with a dolly and an A-frame and no crusty vehicles in tow!

I know, I know.... poor. Sadly i'm totally outta space on the UK side now, gotta get some of my shitters sorted to make some room.

I am going back to france at Xmas though..... would live to 'do a bickle' and secretly stash the 'A' in the boot when the wife's not looking so I can bring this home.

Posted Image

its not so far- done it many many times. Furthest was Berlin -to collect my Trabbie Tramp.

You travel no slower on European m/ways -worst part of the journey is over here.

I just book car & trailer on the ferry -cheaper than 2.

But -WHATS HE BRINGING BACK????

I've booked two cars on the outbound leg as it was cheaper than a trailer slot!!

Now then, what am I bringing back? NOTHING sadly. I am taking the Subaru and stashing it in the bo11ox museum, plus doing some other non-car stuff related to the facilities at this site. I will actually bring back a towing dolly which I have got over there, but only so I can then flog it to help pay for the trip. Mental eh? coming back from france with a dolly and an A-frame and no crusty vehicles in tow!

Hmm

In that case can you bring me back a Trabant Combi please?! White preferably!

Sweet jeezus fella that's one long framing jaunt! As regards A framing madness last week travelling on the M6 I was overtaken by a mondano tugging a freelander, I was in the middle lane ,Said prat doing a good 70 plus was in the outside lane... Nucking Fumpty :roll::roll:

pogweasel said:

mondeofesti.jpg.6645ee78810a908b009d3870274bef75.jpg

I hauled this Fiesta 50 miles (mostly on the M1) from Shirebrook to Leicester two years ago, not one of my better purchases unfortunately it turned out to be pretty much unrestorably ROTTEN and didn't even manage to sell many sparez off it.

1100.jpg.5252e278b84c0f379a2727a64aefd902.jpg

I left Leicester in a bit of a hurry last year and needed my rented lockup garage for temp storage, so in the interests of quick disposal I gave it away to banger racers (still driveable) however it has almost certainly been cubed by now.

Norfolk Lines (Dunkirk ) are really good for getting cars back across the pond -free.

I book a 3am trip out -costs peanuts (£18 return last time). Turn up at a sensible hour -never yet been charged more...

On the way home (-acquisition on tow by A frame) I just pull up to the window.

Said individual checks ticket off -does his stuff, gives me my paperwork and windscreen hangar back and waves me through.

I think perhaps he hasnt realised I have a car in tow -which I would clearly have divulged, if asked. Despite having sat on the dock for an hour or two -never been approached to 'cough up'.

SWMBO couldnt believe it first time -complacent now -and destroys her potential arguements on the added cost of repatriation.

Also done something similar with LD lines from Le havre when I brought the 403 p/up back. Waited through Customs for 3 hours -chatted to ''Official's'' about it -no hassle. Free- totally free

The only time in recent years I feesed up was at Calais -returning in the Saab towing the Renault Prairie breakdown truck -looked humungous.

Because my return fare was £17 (again booked 4am) they simply double it for the trailer -£17 please!

Bloke on the gate wouldnt believe it -rang through, had an arguement, lost and had to let me through. Marvellous

[/img]Posted Image

Here's a couple of other towing shots:-

Posted Image

with the 'proud ' vendors who felt it could easily be restored...

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/nigelbickle/towing/ourcars029.jpg

& swmbo assisting in a Citroen soon to be repatriated - dolly cos the front brakes were stuck on -and are complicated inboard drums!

I've a Fiat Coupe with top end issues on the ''frame'' right now'' -collected last night -offload tomorrow. Pics to follow -if I remember.

I am amazed that you still see folk pratting about with bits of rope.

True. But 20 years ago it was only the AA that used high-tech stuff like a bar.When I hauled the Renault 8 from its resting place in a farmer's ditch I used my Tatra and a huuuuuuge trailer. Take it steady and it was a doddle, expensive to hire though :?

Another recommendation for Norfolk Line here. Not A-framed anything with them but dirt cheap and a smooth easy crossing. Upgrade for a tenner to the "Club Lounge" and you get lovely leather sofas and all the food/drink you can consume.I'm amazed that folk still use "rope" - mine disappeared when I got my wife to tow me in the Omega to the local garage when I couldn't tension the cambelt properly. Ice on the inside of the 'screen - not something I want to repeat. I bought a steel towing bar from Lidl, never used it, but my neighbour has and says it's very good.