Some old shite adverts for you.

Billy - Medhurst

They don't make 'em like they used to, eh?

That Alfa 'bet' is very dodgy.  To win the £5, you had to buy the Alfa: if you did buy the Audi, BMW or Renault instead, then Alfa Romeo UK kept its money.  Or rather, it didn't make an even more thumping loss than it actually did in those days, iirc.

Re the Princesses, what happened to HON 504P & HON 506P? What were they on?

That Alfa 'bet' is very dodgy.  To win the £5, you had to buy the Alfa: if you did buy the Audi, BMW or Renault instead, then Alfa Romeo UK kept its money.  Or rather, it didn't make an even more thumping loss than it actually did in those days, iirc.

No, I think you just need to test drive the Alfa and then buy one of the others to claim your £5. Still stupid though.

Just looked at this site (I have no idea how accurate it is):

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

and the Volvo 244 would be £31,987.74 now, the 343 would be £17,343.90, the Polski Fiats would be £9,882.91 & £11,348.13 respectively  and the Renault 14 would be £15,629.57.

Scary monkeys. Nearly £16k for a Renault 14. What can you get for £16k now?

Re the Princesses, what happened to HON 504P & HON 506P? What were they on?

No, I think you just need to test drive the Alfa and then buy one of the others to claim your £5. Still stupid though.

You're right, I stand corrected.  My fault for only skim-reading before typing.

Just looked at this site (I have no idea how accurate it is):

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

and the Volvo 244 would be £31,987.74 now, the 343 would be £17,343.90, the Polski Fiats would be £9,882.91 & £11,348.13 respectively  and the Renault 14 would be £15,629.57.

Scary monkeys. Nearly £16k for a Renault 14. What can you get for £16k now?

1398167061-2014_04_22_Westover_Kia_Sport

I'll take the Renault 14 please...

I see a Charles Hurst advert in there. As a former employee of Mr Hurst, I can tell you that if, in 1994, you'd asked the company to get you a red Rover 600 you'd have probably got a blue Maestro van. By no later than 1997. Maybe.

Hursts genius* promotions have included £25 M&S vouchers with a new Aston Martin.(really!)

• 4 weeks later...