BLUE Triumph GT6

HillmanImp

TBH, I don't really have the room to keep it at the new house. I can keep one in the garage (the GT6 was in there but is now banished to the driveway as the garage is full of shit from the house but thats temporary) and 2 of mine on the drive plus Mrs Imps car. So there wil be room for my daily - The Jag, the Imp and the Visa.

Basically, I realise that its been 5 years since I even looked at doing any work on the Imp and the GT6 needs more work than the Visa. The Jag is probably not permanent as its a bit of a throwaway vehicle but I will allways have something in its parking space.

There is still a fair bit of work to do on the GT6. Mainly cosmetic but the main issue is the mess round the windscreen.

msg-3133-0-73069000-1429210961.jpg

I might tackle that early next year depending on my mood but would probably be better off selling it TBH and devoting my time to the Imp. The paint on the car is borked in places too due to me not using a breathable cover on it a few years ago but with all the little bots of cosmetic work that needs doing you would be wanting to respray it anyhow.

msg-3133-0-81514100-1429211075.jpg

msg-3133-0-55451800-1429210994.jpg

msg-3133-0-35271900-1429211058.jpg

msg-3133-0-83587900-1429211012.jpg

It runs nicely though. Its just more work than I can be bothered with for the time being.

The Visa is currently off the road but will be going back on shortly when I get a bit of time/money to get the new wheel bearing fitted (if its the correct one, it really took some finding - parts on the Visa are a pain). I was going to sell it earlier in the year but I needed it one day for a medical emergency and promised myself that I wouldn't sell it if it got me there okay which of course it did as its a little belter. Its currently stored in Keighley but will be moveing to mine soon as the house its kept at is up for sale.

it doesn't help but I agree with others mate, if there is any way you can hang onto it... Got a relative you can dump it on for a while? It sounds like space rather than cash is the factor, so if it can be parked up away from your gaff for a couple of years?

TBH at my current rate of progress I will not have even got it to the test centre until 2020 anyway.

It won't cost you a penny to have it sat idle in a garage. And it's value may well actually rise.

Good luck arguing those points with the spouse!!

It won't cost you a penny to have it sat idle in a garage. And it's value may well actually rise.

Good luck arguing those points with the spouse!!

TBH, I do have a lock up. I might put it in there and move the Imp over here depending on how my finances are with wifey being off work but am not sure how well that would go down with a credit card to pay off.

I have only ever seen one of these on the road and I couldn't believe how small it actually was.

Is this down south (not in Scotland) somewhere, I would have room to store it if wanted.

John

It is Bradford so miles away. Ta though.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Righto, another thread resurrection from me. Anyone that knows me will now that I change my mind more often than my underwear and this is another of those times.

Having finally moved the Imp over here......

post-3133-0-30632600-1520028589.jpg

......I've had a look at it and decided to press on with the GT6 this summer instead as the GT6 is a quick win in comparison. Most of the hard work is done and it's just shizzle that needs doing.

So this weekend I decided to drag it out of the garage. I tried this last year too but by the time I had removed all the rubbish around it, it was time to put it all back again so it has languished there for another year as something to put shit on:

post-3133-0-72367000-1522598065_thumb.jpg

I decided, that with the amount of work to do on the Imp the best idea was to put the Imp in the garage and drag the GT6 out so I could work on it.

Now, the battery for the GT6 was last used to start the MR2 but has gone AWOL like JCVD, the Visa is running down its battery due to an undiagnosed electrical fault (it will jump but I didn't bother) and the Imp, well it ain't going nowhere under its own steam for a bit so this was all going to be a manual swap around.

I pushed the Imp and the Visa back a bit and after removing the shit on and around the GT6, It stuck it's nose out of the garage for the first time in a couple of years.

post-3133-0-24463200-1522604512_thumb.jpg

Brakes were a bit stiff and the tyres were a bit flat so it was a bit of effort to move it. I couldn't pump them as the footpump I bought a couple of weeks ago had broken already but it was moving with some dedication, oooh dedication. I started to push it further forward  but it wasn't moving. Had a look under one of the wheels and it had a MTB headset under it stopping it proceeding so removed it and tried pushing it again. Still stiff but with a large shove it lurched forward.....and didn't stop and trundled down the driveway.....

791219.png

into the Visa

post-3133-0-84411900-1522604958_thumb.jpg

Thankfully, there was no damage other than a bit of whitening of the Visas bumper from another bump, but that's what they are there for isn't it.

So started to swap them all around.

post-3133-0-56589200-1522605185_thumb.jpg

Thankfully the neighbours were out so I borrowed their driveway for a bit but couldn't get the angle to get the car in the garage with the bench on the left  so had to move that out too. Whilst doing that I took an arty shot.

post-3133-0-92657200-1522605325_thumb.jpg

and after that all the cars were in the correct place.

post-3133-0-86583600-1522605544_thumb.jpg

It feels a bit depressing to get put the Imp in the garage behind a load of rubbish as its kind of admitting that it's going to stay there for a while but if I follow my head, it makes sense.

Imp Jr had never seen the GT6 out of the garage so came out to have a look. He brought his took kit so that he could help rip bit off it.

post-3133-0-88248700-1522605690_thumb.jpg

but it wasn't long before he was demanding that I open the bonnet of the Visa so that he could poke around in that.

post-3133-0-42484700-1522605738_thumb.jpg

He likes the GT6 but he loves the Visa. I imagine he won't be as keen on the GT6 when I start it next weekend (hopefully) as it makes a bit of noise.

First job is to rebuild the carbs. It's running okay, I got a semi-retired chap from round the corner to balance them last time I drove it but they need a proper rebuild. I've just paid off my 0% purchases credit card so have shitloads of 'money' to 'buy' stuff with. 

They are twin SUs IIRC, is there any recommendations where to get them from? Is there anything I need to check before buying to ensure I have the right kit as these may not be the originals or are the only SU carbs that fit on a GT6, GT6 carbs? 

SU's were a popular conversion from the day. Strombergs were the staple diet of Triumph until around about 73. The Dolomite Sprint was only ever fitted with SU's and about 76'ish the 1850 followed suit and switched from Stromberg to SU.

The 2500 in PI from became the 2500S and dropped the fuel injection to twin SU's and a 2500 twin SU conversion became a popular Vitesse and GT6 mod.

It is a great Car you have there. If it was a darker blue at one stage, it could have been Triumph Sapphire Blue which was and is an exquisite colour. Quite rare on any Triumph Model. Current shad looks to be Triumph French Blue which was a popular shade of th era. Colour is a funny thing and a lot of personal preference goes into it of course. I prefer Sapphire to French, but that is just me.

SU carbs are simplicity. A couple of new jets and some needle valves from Burlen would have them as good as new. GLWTR

I have a tin of French Blue in the garage that I got with the car. I like it but think I prefer the darker blue for the same reason as you. However some internet detective work suggests the car was once white which agrees with the floor inside.

Any ideas where to look to ensure I get the right rebuild kit? Looking on here it's a minefield. 

http://sucarb.co.uk/carburettor-kits/rebuild-kits/standard-rebuild-kits.html

on here it looks simple but I don;t trust it because of the last link.

http://www.su-carbs.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/turner?opendocument&part=2

I have a tin of French Blue in the garage that I got with the car. I like it but think I prefer the darker blue for the same reason as you. However some internet detective work suggests the car was once white which agrees with the floor inside.

Any ideas where to look to ensure I get the right rebuild kit? Looking on here it's a minefield.

http://sucarb.co.uk/carburettor-kits/rebuild-kits/standard-rebuild-kits.html

on here it looks simple but I don;t trust it because of the last link.

http://www.su-carbs.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/turner?opendocument&part=2

God, GT6’s just look so ‘right’. Great to see you’re back on this one. As for colour choice, white will look fantastic.

Doo eeet.