Germanic driving

MrRegieRitmo

I'm off to to the Channel Tunnel in the morning to catch the train across the border. Going to be driving from then across the continent to visit our destination of Germany for work purposes, coming back next Tues. I've never driven abroad before but by the sounds of it I'm pretty much going to be doing all of the driving! I took & passed my 'European Matrix test' the other week which was all about German signs, rules & priorities etc meaning I'm allowed to drive the work vehicles (a new Ford Galaxy) overseas! (Waa hey! :roll: ) Anyway, what I want to ask is, beyond this test I passed which has given me a 'taster' of what to expect I'm really walking (driving) into this blind I think, especially if I've gotta drive across some of France & Belgium to get to Germany?! So chaps any serious / useful hints or tips about driving in Germany I can bear in mind from you seasoned Euro drivers?

Thanks

PS: Am I right in thinking there isn't really anything to see shite-wise in Germany so there isn't much point keeping my phone cam poised?

I drove my Fiat 500 through Belgium and France across the Alps to Italy a few years ago. I also drove the CRX to the south of France via Paris (unintentional detour) Never again to both! I found that the French make no concessions to the fact that you are abroad and probably have no idea where you are heading (as in my case). The HGV drivers in particular tailgate like they have a death wish - scary in a 500!I've no experience of Germany, but a mate took his 18 year old Ovlov there this year with no probs at all on the roads. I wonder if German Audi/BMW driving sales reps drive like they do here?

Driving in Germany is really no big deal, the roads are quite wide and very clear, just remember to keep right. Driving in France along motorways is actually quite good unlike driving in the city, most French only ever use the outside lane for overtaking instead of living there like most of our British company car drivers.

Belguim, well I've lived there for while, so make sure you know where your going, as even though the motorways are clear, mostly straight and on occasions very wide there are quite alot of the "spagetti junction" style routes which you can easily be led into so plan ahead, if you have a SatNav thats enabled for Europe, use it.

As for Shite, well its been a long time since I was there, but you might be surprised to find some good used shite in Germany, mostly german tat and in good condition, however they are mostly to be found down small side roads in towns in my experience.

Lord Sterling

Reg 3 things, German Autobahn derestricted keep out of the outside lane unless your trying to break a world record, HV's must be within reach of the driver in france (recent spat of easy nicks straight off the boat/train) lastly the towns in france have there name surrounded by a red rectangle = 30 kph limit :wink:

Reg its pretty easy on the continent really*.

*Does not apply to Italy where anything goes*

Echo what has been said already, make sure you have Hi Viz vests and spare bulb kit for France as Le Plod are very hot on this at the moment, otherwise bear in mind that lane discipline tends to be better observed than over here and just adjust your door mirrors to make them a bit 'wider' so you can see a bit more.Other than that make sure you have insurance certificate and either V5 or a VE103a certificate for the Galaxy.Beyond that, enjoy it, I love driving abroad!

The French autoroutes have a reduction in speed limit from 130 to 110kph when the weather is bad - so make sure you adhere to that.There will probably be a couple of crashes, but the French Highways Agency are superbly efficient in clearing it up, so it shouldn't hold you up much. But stick to the speed limits when coned off. The French actually have "swing out" signs for this purpose dotted along the central reservation.Lord Sterling makes a good point about only using the outside lane for overtaking. Also, it seems to be standard practice in France to keep your indicator on for the duration of the overtaking manuover.Germany didn't seem to have much shite when I was last there (this time last year), but then again I was in downtown Munich and the Oktoberfest was on. My brother drove his 21-year-old Volvo from Newbury to the Nurburgring and back a couple of years ago, 900 miles, and had no problems either with traffic or Foreign Plod, so you should be fine.Incidentally I've taken a variety of shite over on booze cruises to France in the past and only been asked for my V5/Insurance Cert when returning through Passport Control - probably because my Prelude was slammed to the deck with beer! - but best to take it. I was fully equipped (plus Hi-Viz, bulb kit etc) when we went to Paris in March but again, no problems. Took about 3.5 hours from Dunkerque to Paris, really great autoroute. You'll need your Euros for the tolls if you take that route. There's also a bilingual radio station that plays quality Europop interspersed with traffic reports from Calais to Paris.Don't forget GB sticker (unless the number plates have a "GB" on the edge) and headlight "beam benders" as well.

Hi,there should be no problem whatsoever...But as someone else said- use the left lane when you want to go fast or for quick overtaking. If not, you might have people flashing the lights behind you or putting on their left indicator.I have an Oz friend who used the Autobahn with his French Rental car... and he thought that Germans flash the lights because they hate the french. :)Regards,Daniel

It' ll help you realise just how piss poor our infrastructure is now ....

Are you suggesting it was ever anything but "piss poor" in the past?I remember as a lad being told we had the best this, the best that blah blah fvcking blah....At the tender age of 18 I joined the Army to see the world and that was an eye opener - pretty much everything we have is shite and will probably continue to be shite as I see it :roll: German road network is far superior to the UK situation - German drivers can be tossers. As mentioned before - get out of the "fast lane" on the Autobahn if something is approaching in the rear view mirror because they will be up your arse in a flash even as you progress at 120MPH.... :shock: (Be very aware of ar$ehole truck drivers pulling out on you without a care in the world, on the two-lane sections...)Belgian drivers tend to like to drive fast - most of my colleagues consider Belgian drivers to be maniacs - I can't say I feel that way but they do drive more aggressively than here in Holland. In Holland they seem to have this mentality where they need to stop in the middle of the road to discuss things rather than pull over out of the way...it's more ignorance that actively taking the piss but it does get the old veins on the temples raised for me at least :evil: Worst place I ever drove was Israel... enough said - after that it's a walk in the park!

Driving 'on the other side' is pretty easy, the only thing that feels odd is going round roundabouts the wrong way! You'll find the french autoroute system is far far better than the uk, road toll stops can be a little awkward if your on the wrong side of the car. I spent many years driving all over europe with work, once managed 17 campsites throughout italy, and was commuting on a weekly basis from my base at calais to a site we had in the ardeche and one in the Alps. You'll find the main routes traffic free, although the comments about the belgians are pretty true, IIRC they were one of the last counties to introduce a driving test, so plenty of self taught gimmers on the road still!

Actually it's not the Belgians, it's the Poles, aggressive c**ts

Nah, the 'Worst drivers in Europe' award would have to go to Ireland or maybe Portugal at a push...For a while the Poles and Latvians were being splattered all over Irish roads in seemingly endless numbers, but I put that down to too much potato vodka (or whatever it is they drink) rather than inability to understand what indicators and a steering wheel are...

...In Holland they seem to have this mentality where they need to stop in the middle of the road to discuss things rather than pull over out of the way...

Lol, yeh I've seen this happen too many times on Belgan roads, I remember one incident when a woman driving a Merc spun out on a slip road, but instead of moving her otherwise undamaged car out of the way she chose to stay where she was, pull out her phone to call the cops, no common sense :?

Why Brookside?

Was trying something out then I couldnt be arsed to take it off. I liked Brookside close anyway and love those style of houses, I wish I could live in those style houses like that again as I did when I was a child. I visited Brookside Close a few weeks ago and it was sadly overgrown and abandonned.

...It'll help you realise just how piss poor our infrastructure is now ....

Cant agree more, the roads are far superior to the UK, continental roads are very smooth and signs are clear unlike ours which are pothole infested, badly repaired with signs damaged or missing.

As has been mentioned before, do read up on road rules, even if you are only passing through and keep things like a Hi-Vis jacket, reflective triangle, spare bulbs etc.. your company should know to provide you with these anyway, its unlikely you will get pulled as "les flics" (French Cops) dont like to have to speak English with anyone (Thats how I got out of some sticky situations!) but just be on the safe side.

Also again, make sure you have a European enabled SatNav, it will save alot of time and headache especially as you may not know the roads too well.

Have a good time and let us know how you got on.

Lord Sterling