The Rover 220 is For Sale Again!

phil_lihp

Yes, it's time to say goodbye.  I wasn't expecting to move it on so soon - frankly, it's a superb car and I love driving it, but it's not being used enough and storage is becoming an issue so it's up for grabs despite the fact that writing this feels a bit wrong.

post-5492-0-71594200-1397935550.jpg

post-5492-0-52112300-1397935617.jpg

20130929_093740_zps08e3332d.jpg

20130929_093641_zpsdc75c700.jpg

It's a rare Rover 220SLi in white/grey with electric front windows, electric sunroof and electric door mirrors.  It's taxed until October and MOT'd until November.  138k on the clock although the engine is not the original and has done closer to 190k but has had a rebuilt gearbox and complete new gasket set back in 2009.

Good Points:

* The engine starts first time, is strong and powerful and runs very well - around 40MPG is possible if you drive gently.  It's a fantastic long distance cruiser.

* Almost everything electrical works including the electric sunroof (no leaks either) and the alarm - the one exception being the driver's door central locking which only works on the key.  The previously weak and undersized battery has been replaced with a correctly sized one which seems to be in perfect health.

* It has 4 excellent tyres on it, the front Dunlops are quite new

* It has a brand new waterpump and radiator so no leaks and it runs nice and cool (fresh coolant too)

* It had a brand new windscreen in September

* It has a towbar with working electrics

* I serviced it a couple of months ago with new oil, filters and spark plugs plus front brake pads

Bad Points:

* The bodywork's cosmetically challenged.  Not much surface rust now but the paint is shabby and my rattle-can repair jobs are not particularly good plus the passenger door mirror is a slight colour mismatch.  From 10 feet away it looks presentable

* The rear bumper has a big hole in it to accomodate the towbar, I've grown to like this though, it's part of the car's character

* It's a 2.0 T-series so leaks oil.  Not a great deal but the engine block is coated in it and it does use a little bit.  It's also blowing a bit of condensation sometimes from the exhaust but no idea if that's actually a problem.  No signs of HGF.

* One mismatched hubcap!

* The steering is a little vague and floaty - there doesn't seem to be any play between the steering wheel and the front wheels but the MOT tester commented that the rack could be worn.  Tracking has been tested and is perfect.  It became a lot more evident after the new tyres were fitted.

* The boot lets a little water in during heavy rain, the rear lights probably need sealing up properly

In case you've missed it, this is the legendary 220SLi owned and repaired by Mr_B011ox, its most recent years are well documented on here (my thread is here) and on RetroRides.

It will be at Shitefest so you're welcome to go over it with a microscope and test drive it to your heart's content.

I would like £350 for it as it stands.  I know it's not the £100 it's been passed around for before but it's had so much spent on it and is in such improved condition since then that I would like a little return but that said I've spent far more on it than it will ever be worth.  

I don't want to swap it for another car but I am confident in its reliability and I like a good road trip so am more than happy to assist with delivery anywhere in the UK (I'm in North Devon).  Start queuing here.

Yes, March 1994 I think so it qualifies for classic car insurance now under some insurers.  Bonus!

I think - don't quote me on this - that it's had a clutch in the last 3 years and the cambelt was changed in 2012.  

It really doesn't want for anything much now.  I've run out of things to do to it.

I 'think' my one was born in March '94, and it's on an 'L'...

Unsurprisingly, I still have the megahorn for this 220. I will also be at Welshfest, with an A-frame and trailer board. I do not intend to come home with this. I'm hoping against hope that there are no good ales on tap at the Have Odd (Chod) Hotel.

A couple months back when this was sorned, Phil enquired about a few cosmetic bits from my breaker. He said they weren't urgent, so like an arse I forgot about them. I will bring some pressies with me for the car, (whoever's it may be,) to swap for a pint. One pint. BUT NO MORE, OK?

I'm a cheap date.

Tempted here too, well priced considering the work you've done to it and with a decent amount of tax and test. Realistically my 2 jalopies need some time and cash on preventative maintenance this summer and adding another one to the fleet will make his harder to juggle. GLWTS

I almost feel duty bound to have a brief ride on the AS bike, assuming there are no takers at shitefest. Just out of interest, where in Devon are you?

Bideford on the North coast - as above, happy to help with delivery though.

I can see what's going to happen. Joe and I will get pissed and enter a bidding war for this beauty. But this being Autoshite and not Coys it'll be in 50p increments!

I full condone and endorse this behaviour.

No sweat on the parts Joe, it's been used so little recently that I'd more or less forgotten as well.  Thank you for offering to bring them down, I'm sure a pint can easily be procured.

While I'd be happy to sell it at Shitefest I'm slightly alarmed by the mention of A-frames, I want to be able to get home and if my recent travels to rural Wales are anything to go by public transport is at best infrequent!  

I obviously have the month wrong as yes it must be newer than August but it's definitely a 1994.

Yah! I really want this car but I wont be in England until August plus I've committed myself to seeing Skizzers 75. I really would like a car down here in France as the car we have is a shared one, which includes having to share with this hateful turd who has been kicked into our house.

Good luck with the sale, I really hope it can find a long-term home eventually.