Insurers for a Cat 'c' write off??

retrogeezer

Had a simlar problem with a friends Xantia estate recently, I had repaired it using second hand parts ( tailgate , rear bumper.,backbox).His insurance company by letter told him it would need a VIC check, he called in to his local branch offfice and they told him that if he had the car MOTed that would suffice so maybe try that. Good luck!!

Shouldn't make any differance - it's not a question thats asked when you take out a policy. If it's still owned by the mother in law then you dont need a VIC check. It's only needed for the new keeper when you sell it.Some insurers withhold the MOT when the claim is made - I dont think they contact DVLA so you could apply for the old MOT if you know the testing station or just remot the vehicle.If you need further help let me know

When the car is written off, the insurers want the logbook and MOT back before paying out, regardless of whether you retain the salvage or not. In ALL cases, the MOT is not returned and the logbook is only returned to you when you have had the car re-MOT'd and sent them a copy via your broker.A VIC is required the first time the V5 goes back to DVLA - colour change, engine number change, change of owner or owner's address - anything. The insurers give you back the same V5 you gave them but they always inform DVLA. That's why DVLA make you VIC the car the instant the V5 comes back to them.

They have all the documents - as far as I know the insurer did not ask for them.I was concerned that if they just arranged insurance elsewhere and then another claim was made that insurer could refuse to pay out due to non-disclosure of a material fact (car being a cat c write off)??

I had a vectra cat c write off insured with elephant. They do not ask when you fill out the proposal form if it has ever been a write off so i didnt tell themIt went on fire so i had to claim...They did flag up the fact it was a recorded write off during the claim and asked me if i knew that and if i had full knowledge when i bought it.i said yes i knew when i bought it, seller didnt hide anything.They seemed happy at that, and paid out OK on the claim.

Did they claim on it then? Seems odd if it's a CAT C that the V5 and MOT weren't surrendered. Sure it's not a CAT D, in which case it would be right that the MOT/V5 are still with them? TBH I don't have any experience of this, the 405 was insured TPF&T and therefore I only claimed to pay the third party...7 months later and the car's been long back on the road but the wall still has a hole in it, despite the claim being "closed"...

They did get a letter from the old insurer saying that cover had been suspended and if they wanted to re-insure with them (more than) it would need a vic check & mot. There were a load of other conditions too like a receipt for the repairs etc. Load of crap really as it only needed a new wing,bonnet,bumper and a bit of the light panel pulling out.They were unhappy with the way the claim was dealt with and the payout though so have cancelled that insurance anyway.I can't really see a massive problem, if it came up after another accident then I would have thought that 3rd party damage would still be paid out for? There must be loads of cars on the road that have been cat c's that have been repaired and re-insured. After all, as soon as the reg number is input on an insurers database it should come up anyway.