French chod obtained: 1974 Renault 5 ... Now SOLD

Alexg

Just had a look and although I have two headlights, they are both RH ones. Yours gratis though if you want them.  I could take them down to Beaulieu autojumble weekend after next if you know anyone who's going from your neck of the woods or I can post them of you want to cover the postage.

I believe I also have a windscreen is that's any use to you!

Edit: just remembered, I might also have factory service manuals for a 5.

Thats bloody ace! 

If you need bits theres a chap down your way who has loads of Mk1 R5 stuff, I'll PM you some contact details later on for him.

I really need another R5 and a French shopping trip sounds like a good way of getting one. Just need to find some cash now :)

Brilliant story and a lovely car, we've had some good French sellers on here recently!

I passed my test in a '77 Renault 5 and have always loved them, such a sensibly packaged car, which looked so 'right'.  As usual Renault seemed way ahead of its time then.

That is absotively posilutely lovely, gorgeous colour too.

My first car was a late 1st gen GTL, almost identical to the bunny magnet posted earlier. It took all the punishment a cluless, pork-fisted, Jean Ragnotti wannabe, 17 yr old chump could throw at it and still kept on smiling.

That started a life-long ambition to own the booted saloony version. I've still never seen one or met anyone who has though.

800px-Renault_7_Siena_1976.jpg

That is absotively posilutely lovely, gorgeous colour too.

My first car was a late 1st gen GTL, almost identical to the bunny magnet posted earlier. It took all the punishment a cluless pork-fisted 17 yr old chump could throw at it and still kept on smiling.

That started a life-long ambition to own the booted saloony version. I've still never seen one or met anyone who has though.

Volksy and I have been talking of going over to Spain and getting a car and driving it back for some time now but have never got round to it (mainly due to me never having any money). I would really want to get a Renault 7 or a Seat Malaga but if I was using my head I think it would have to be a Renaut 4 as that would be worth the most when I get back.

I really like the 5 and the earlier ones doubly so.  That radio console is fantastic. 

Once its Uk legal,  (tape on the headlamps will get it through the MOT) get it waxoiled & rustproofed, whilst its warm & dry out there.

It may be my failing memory, but I thought Renners of that era all had a handy sliding 'widget' on the back of the headlamp (where the bulb inserts) that allows them to be set up for LHD or RHD, by rotating the bulb a bit? Certainly some of mine have done. Maybe only 'export' models though.

On my R16 you could rotate the bulbs.

Just to add: I've looked at these R5 headlights I have here and you can't rotate the bulbs and the lenses are marked with an arrow so presumably RHD only.

Here's a bit of an article someone (Michael Would in Norfolk if anyone knows of him) has just sent me for the citroen car club mag...

...comment that he had to black tape one of his headlamps to correct the beam at every MOT. Not so! Take out the lamp, remove the bulb and holding the lamp vertical you will see that the bulb locating notch is just a few degrees off bottom dead centre. To the left for left hand dip and vice versa. Make a new notch on the opposite side of BDC to what you have, locate the bulb in it and you have reversed the beam pattern. To the best of my knowledge this works for all lamps with symmetrical lens patterns. With asymmetrical lenses, the square lamp for instance, make the new notch at BDC which will give a flat beam pattern acceptable to your MOT tester. Early lamps, pre mid 70s had a little slidey thing to do this for you.

I think that was to adjust the headlights for unloaded vs. laden.

No, not those levers at the front - I'm thinking of a little sliding block on the rim of the aperture where the bulb goes into the back of the lamp itself. A 'nib' on the collar of the bulb means that the bulb is rotated slightly one way or the other depending on which way the block has been slid. The sliding block is the brown bit with two 'horns' on it, in the red ring below (on an R4 headlamp in this case)

post-50-0-53955900-1399583431_thumb.jpg

No, not those levers at the front - I'm thinking of a little sliding block on the rim of the aperture where the bulb goes into the back of the lamp itself. A 'nib' on the collar of the bulb means that the bulb is rotated slightly one way or the other depending on which way the block has been slid. The sliding block is the brown bit with two 'horns' on it, in the red ring below (on an R4 headlamp in this case)

attachicon.gif6571-cee9d6128f66036d52f51e260451a151.jpg

Interesting, I've never seen it before. All Renaults I ever had had H4 halogen headlights, where this provision probably isn't present.

Interesting, I've never seen it before. All Renaults I ever had had H4 halogen headlights, where this provision probably isn't present.

It's a feature that 1970s Cibie lamps had, my DAFs have the same. Quite a smart bit of design, really.

I've heard of people doing a similar 'conversion' to other types of headlamp using a dremel, it shouldn't be all that difficult. Having said that, this is Autoshite and Alex should turn up for his MoT with two crudely cut bits of Poundland gaffer tape acting as beam deflectors !