French chod obtained: 1974 Renault 5 ... Now SOLD

Alexg

They are very expensive on Leboncoin too. 70's Renaults look so right on them. Dad had a 12 TS with those and that looked the nuts in metallic brown. That car was solely responsible for my Renault fixations

Haven't you got those on the 4 Mr Lobster?

Yeh, 4 van has got a set and I have a spare set which I need to replace the tyres with something more decent. Of the spare set - one is used a s a spare for the van and I keep the rest as hopefully I'll have another R5 to stick them on at some point.

Theres two different types of R5 fitment fergat which are the same apart from width. The wider (sexier) ones went on 5TS and 5 Le Car 2 Turbo whilst the narrower version was standard fitment on 5 Le Car 2 Tl / GTL and some later R4s.

The version fitted to R12 & R16s looks the same but due to the spacing of the studs, won't fit on R4 / 5s.

[/geek]

Yeh, 4 van has got a set and I have a spare set which I need to replace the tyres with something more decent. Of the spare set - one is used a s a spare for the van and I keep the rest as hopefully I'll have another R5 to stick them on at some point.

Theres two different types of R5 fitment fergat which are the same apart from width. The wider (sexier) ones went on 5TS and 5 Le Car 2 Turbo whilst the narrower version was standard fitment on 5 Le Car 2 Tl / GTL and some later R4s.

The version fitted to R12 & R16s looks the same but due to the spacing of the studs, won't fit on R4 / 5s.

[/geek]

I know, I liberated a set from a dead 12 for my 5 and was gutted they wouldn't go on. Wonder what happened to them? Probably sent to the tip years ago during one of. Dads clearouts

I remember buying a brand new set of those for my 4 from Renault back in 1996. They looked amazing. They only cost about £30 each iirc.

Makes you wonder if any older dealers have any knocking around!

Wasn't that garage in Inveraray that was on a spotted thread recently, a Renault place? They'd been independent since forever iirc, and their recovery motors were old.

Might be just the kind of place to try, most Renault dealers are the corporate sort now, I think.

For shits and giggles I might try South Hill Garage near Basildon. They were a Renault main agent until 1997 and became a Renault and Volvo independent after that. That's the sort of place that would have all manner of interesting shite out the back.

If they have fergats at thirty quid each, sod it i am having them

It's the first time I've had a chance to poke about the R5 and I'm amazed about how solid it is. First job today replace the knackered HT Leads, and not a moment too soon...

6C6F07A0-303F-4E1B-8986-2943EBF86C55_zps

B5B2C27B-DDF6-4684-BB1C-0C9F77761BC8_zps

Ride hight too low at the front, there's a nose dive thing going on... so used the underseat camber adjusters and hey presto. Excellent!

5BB876A0-632F-4B8A-968C-768465355BB3_zps

9C80301A-384F-4CA3-903F-77E24EA7F39A_zps

66B7309A-EA64-4A11-9AB4-423BF4D0E4DF_zps

Ace!

I love some of the details about this car, also discovered this

Summer driving:

3B6C9206-A754-4E9E-8B02-4F13B1D38CD6_zps

Winter driving:

2ECD4A3E-2FFE-4808-A03D-2A352AA839AB_zps

Got the carpet out for a bit of a scrub...

6253AA54-AEF8-46B0-AB75-95187F377788_zps

...requiring me to remove the aftermarket radio console, clearly a one size fits all!

A9829BFC-7630-4937-830A-F5413EA326FD_zps

Floors are remarkably solid...

BE33F35D-F2EB-4BD2-9573-6597E2A2598B_zps

Lastly, ambering up my bulbs....

C4314408-1410-4232-8EC2-BC1EB4125063_zps

Interior is looking much cleaner, although camera failed me...

3C6FBEF9-15A4-4A27-B84A-2EA2E70B93FF_zps

Now about those headlamps... ?

Yes Lobster, the rear has the black plastic with black vinyl bench, GR6676 for south of France ray-a-thon! Chear Imp and Ratdat, I'll have a chat with my super picky MOT bloke before he rips the shit out of it.

That started a life-long ambition to own the booted saloony version. I've still never seen one or met anyone who has though.

800px-Renault_7_Siena_1976.jpg

When our hire car (Seat 600D) snapped a drive shaft during a family hol in Menorca in the early 80's, the hire car firm sent out a chap to collect us and drive us back to the hotel. He arrived in a (I think metallic!) green Renault 7. They used to be all over the place in the Balearics. They were made in Spain weren't they?

MOT FAIL, as expected....

N/S/F wheel bearing (I knew about this, I have a replacement)

N/S and O/S trackrod ends (replacements now ordered and paid for.. a few hours before realising they are the wrong ones! Early model has different setup, now tracking down early spec')

Front indicators white (hadn't noticed this, but obviously an easy fix)

N/S/F headlight inoperative (like a champion class doofus I fitted the taped-up lamp this morning without plugging it in!)

All in all, not a bad result! My plan was to throw the replacement bearing at the mechanic if, by a bit of luck, this was the only issue. I'll sort the other bits now first. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I can usually figure shit out. Track rods look simple enough so no problem there... not sure if to have a bash of the inner and outer bearings myself whilst at it....

5DE497A1-39B3-4C46-8B9D-D9FCFC6AFC54_zps

I really, really like the look of your R5. Try to keep everything looking as it does, as much as practical. I know shiny paint protects* cars in the wet BritIsles but love the dusty, pale paint of French chod which has lived in the sunnier parts. Alloy wheels? Pah - those battered rims and stainless hub caps are perfect. It'll go faster, more comfortably on them, too. Invest in a set of decent tyres instead of bling rims.

Right, found and purchased the earlier, rarer, and ultimately more expensive track rod ends I need, although as Wednesday is my only day off I'll have keep fingers crossed that they arrive in time. I've not done a wheel bearing but decided it looks simple enough so will crack on... although the 3 stub design is making finding a reasonably priced hub remover a friggin impossibility...

Edit: 3 pronged puller will do it clearly. Ordered

Alex,

You probably already know this but the rear suspension turrets are major rust spots on these. If yours are still sound I would seriously think about getting some POR15 or Dinitrol under there while the weather is good. In fact getting some protection slathered on the whole underneath would be very wise.

The MOT result was pretty good, nothing particularly significant or unexpected so that's good!

• 3 weeks later...

So I had a bosh at removing and replacing both front tie rods and o/s hub. Simple enough shit and fortunately I work at a Ford main dealer, so managed to get one of the technicians to stick in the replacement bearing for a few bottles of Cobra.

Unfortunately when I came to bolt it together when I discovered this on the upper ball joint, looks like I was a bit clumsy and heavy handed with the separator...

C8E391F9-CE51-4B22-AB9C-394F66DB4982_zps

COCKTITS!

With a new part ordered and delivered I created problem number 2 as I over tightened the nut on the new tie-bar ball joint causing the nut to shead its thread and spin freely left and right without actually tightening or loosening. FUCKSTICKS!

Assuming the thread on the tie-bar would be OK I carefully hacked-off bits of the nut with a blunt saw I found and ripped off chunks with the piliers.

975B1584-3ABE-4EF3-8054-4BC0D3DF77CF_zps

Take that you PRICK!!! Original nut then fitted with no issues.....IN YOUR FACE!!!

Final part of the fail sheet (I hadn't mentioned) was the loose headlamp, sorted with tape and cable ties

3BE813B5-9343-4EAF-9EA6-51DED8C0DDDE_zps

...of course I had the chance to fit the headlamps RatDat kindly sent me, however there's a slight technical hitch....

308C29FB-9060-4A31-86F7-934E1AF221D2_zps

...they're both OFF-SIDE REF!!!! LOL etc

So, in for MOT again today and a bad start...

"It's gonna fail again, that headlamp's all over the place"

The MOT guy has used the adjustment screw to raise the beam, only for this to loosen up the lamp from it's bodged mountings....

I quickly lashed on a couple of extra cable ties as it sat on the ramp

"Yeah that'll do - go on!"

SWEEEEEEET!

EAF61E4E-1384-4ABF-ADF8-D8AE21FEC196_zps

STICK THAT ON THE FRIDGE!

Right, so now it's DVLA time. Closing down the local offices is a beltingly wank idea, everything has to be done by post and payment is by cheque or postal order only! - WTF what year is this??? I flipping hate filling forms too, but there's not a lot to add as no Type Approval required. I do need to add the engine number though I'm assuming it's this long one??

440640D7-5E95-4F03-A285-AB6B649F069D_zps

Next step get this frigger UK plated in time for my planned birthday picnic at the Darling Buds show... 1 month and counting