Jon's Spotting Thread. USA Road Trip.

Jon

That Pimp has no record on either Cartell or Doovla.   The reg itself dates to March/April 1971 and was a Surrey issue.  Maybe the car was ex-patriated with its original owner (they might not have cars, down there, dear...).    

Uncommon Commer is an Express Delivery Van, at least it was in its home market.      

Really enjoyed browsing this stuff, thank you!

Have a micro postscript bonus post from the museum, which I forgot about earlier. One of Autoshite's finest 21st Century motors (inexplicably shown here with some stones holding down a white sheet over the rear 'screen):

30805748450_24b7f8e66f_z.jpg

What I didn't know about at the time of visiting, was that this was hot off the press, having only landed a few weeks before! Apparently, the UK owner was terminally ill and had a dying wish that his 75 be gifted to a British car museum, so his kids googled such places and found this one. Read below for further details from the museum's blog:

http://www.britishcarmuseum.co.nz/blog/2005-rover-75

....and a rather comedy video of the museum owner driving it about very sedately (and on the wrong side of the road!), outside the museum:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/84824651/Englishman-gets-dying-wish-by-finding-home-for-his-classic-car-at-Hawkes-Bay-museum

Anyway, it's a heartwarming story I suppose and a relatively steep financial commitment from the museum owner, to ship over a car which can't be registered over here. But then seeing stuff like the Imp and Maestro, that clearly doesn't bother him! 

• 2 months later...

Behold everyone, I have some more spots! What's more, I am also super dooper mega into the 21st Century, since I have acquired.....a smart phone!! It goes against many of my beliefs but it was virtually forced upon me, was free and is also an iPhone 4, so is utterly terrible at downloading mind numbing apps that everyone else engrosses themselves with, meaning I barely stab at it like a zombie, so the battery lasts a few days and I can now check my e-mails on the go, which is admittedly very handy for work.

It also has the double edged sword of offering more shite spottortunities (told you'd I'd use that phrase again) but admittedly the camera really is terrible. Don't believe me? Then feast your eyes on my first ever spot with it:

32166673606_20eb3e6717_z.jpg

Somewhere in that potato rendition is a Bedford J1, spotted locally still plying a trade! It's about to turn a mere 37 years old in two days time, which must make it a very late J1 indeed. I'd assumed they'd have binned off the lightweight J series trucks a while before then but this is a twin rear wheel one, so perhaps it's not a J1 after all, despite what carjam tells me.

31829254220_df1be91298_z.jpg

This effort's a lot better, though obviously my standards are slipping, allowing a car so late as to be issued with white plates from new to slip under the net; not only that but it's an XF Falcon/Fairmont/whatever, which is easily the blandest of the XD/XE/XF trifecta. Sadly, that yawn-inducing front end lasted several years later on the utes and vans.

31394563353_22cab36462_z.jpg

Another clear breach of my preferred non-white plates rule but it's a flipping FSO ute! Again, being the utter shite spotting ledge that I am, this isn't the first one I've spotted on here but the other one had a Fiat 125 front end, utterly belying its true credentials. I wouldn't be surprised if they're the only survivors, as FSOs were sold in incredibly small numbers for a very short space of time in the late 1980's. Bonus Mini in the background, too.

32166748146_a227d95a49_b.jpg

Only very mildly scene'd Beetle is acceptable content, especially in such nice surroundings. When tropical fruit is out of season, it's quite expensive to buy over here, hence the empty roof rack.

32056184702_6579614b12_b.jpg

Here's some top Euro exotica, tucked away in a car park at a stadium-based second hand book sale I went to. I'm guessing little more than 20 or so Kadett GSIs would've been sold here and this one looked brill. Thinking man's Pontiac Le Mans.

32166752036_d3563e261a_k.jpg

This spot fills about 1% of the frame unfortunately and any further zooming in creates a horrible mess but it's a Strada Abarth 130TC, so worthy all the same.

32088039934_343912998b_z.jpg

But wait! The 1980's sporty Euro spots doesn't end there, as this 80 quattro attests. Despite owning an excessively white 1980's European sporty thing (Visa GTi), I'll admit that the bodykit and light stripes are a touch too far for me. Great that someone appreciates it, though!

32550782160_718b3b68a7_z.jpg

Let's come crashing back down to earth with something a bit more sensible, if a little less common these days.

32777732822_dd2fb7890a_z.jpg

Say whaaaat?? An Audi Coupe S in NZ?! In brown?! That's dream car status for me right there. Sadly, according to internet images, these seem to attract people who like to fit inappropriate large modern wheels to them, in the misguided belief that the originals can be surpassed. Quite clearly, they can't.

32931491865_3f0da79b44_z.jpg

Here's a cheeky shot from work, as I thought the line-up in such nice light too good an opportunity to miss. The Merc is well cared for but I did follow it on a rural sojourn as it developed a fist-sized hole in the manifold, which made it sound fantastic but also scared the local farm animals witless. The Ducato by the way is hanging, in case you wondered.

32807424831_138d4e7145_z.jpg

Lurking back of shot above is this very tasty 1984 Scania, registered in Jan '84, less than 4 years after the J1 above. Interestingly, it seems to be rated at 24t but has a 5000cc engine. Is that even distinctly probable, or just an admin glitch?

32116563103_bffa8ec7f8_z.jpg

I think the rear end styling of these hatchback Coronas(?) is quite something. Family car being dwarfed by more modern town car shocker*.

32116561163_6ee1cf7950_z.jpg

I'm only mildly incredulous towards these rims (size: good. style: not so.) but the rest is AMAZING!! I love XA Falcon sedans in this shade.

32890888686_aa27f10f41_z.jpg

Nice rear flappage. Actual shock of more modern background Benz trumping a 1970's MB in the outrageous colour stakes.

32931487075_0780846eef_z.jpg

I like this Chrysler Imperial so much, I'd oust a turquoise tinged XA Falcon out of my imaginary shed of dreams to make space for it. I know it's an imaginary shed of dreams but space isn't limitless, so I have to be realistic.

32116528633_ed849964c2_z.jpg

We'll end this telephonic update here for now, in the same vein as it started - with an awful photo. That said, it's been included because This J20 works way better than a lowered Jeep painted matt black has any right to. 

Next time, I promise to show spots taken with an actual camera.

I'm with you (not literally) on the Corona rear end styling - they were a lot more interesting than a 5-door version of a rather conventional mid-size Japanese family car had a right to be.

The Audi's very nice. Circa 1989 I saw one being used as a hack in a scrapyard.

It's very rare I'll resort to a phone for taking photos, pretty much emergency use only (like the day I saw a Chrysler 2-litre at a local garage and inexplicably didn't have my camera with me).

It's very rare I'll resort to a phone for taking photos, pretty much emergency use only (like the day I saw a Chrysler 2-litre at a local garage and inexplicably didn't have my camera with me).

One of the small draws for me with a smart phone (or a 'phone' as they're referred to these days) was the ability to take shots at many more opportunities, as I shoot with a DSLR, not known for its un-noticeable versatility in everyday life. Just a shame that camera isn't great on this one but I'm guessing Apple really upped their game in later models to sell more phones. They are legible I suppose but I certainly won't be throwing away a proper camera any time soon.

Anyway, hate to do it but here's a shameless bump, as the sun has literally come out for the first time in 3 days, so the outside is currently looking a lot more appealing than uploading images of guff. Soz!

It's been a couple of sweltering days here Shiters, I'll have you know. This weekend also marked the arrival of the annual invasion of flies into our house, so it's not all milk and honey here at the moment; that said it does mean I can deride pleasure from sucking a load of them up with my trusty old Hitachi vacuum cleaner. 

Let's continue wistfully looking back to late last year, when we had all the good bits of early summer (hot sun, mainly) and none of the bad bits (humidity; constant droning of cicadas (daytime) and crickets (night); cat wandering through open window of bedroom with live mice gifts at 3am; flies). What's more, I even used my proper camera to nab some shots, so behold the actual OK quality!

32932129905_0732153a50_b.jpg

I actually like this shot very much and think that its composition would be perfect as a new desktop screen saver, since there's loads of room left of frame for all those files I should really delete but never will.

32778424382_083db6b182_c.jpg

So, where are we then? At that twice yearly local drag meet I quite often go and watch, of course. It's a lot of street stuff but nevertheless, it's still a good way to wile away a few hours. Seeing stuff like this Stingray above get a little messy is all part of the fun, especially when there isn't any harm done, like this time. The announcer on the world's tinniest PA system is still awful, though, although I only ever remember this just after we've arrived and paid up....

32932114635_f1b972d7e8_c.jpg

Here's the aforementioned PA system, which does not respond well to spontaneous cackling laughter by someone unaware of the concept of holding a mic more than 8mm away from their gob. Still, nice Valiant, eh?

32778418922_ef829131d8_c.jpg

From memory, the reg plate on this Viva looks pretty similar to the one seen on the yellow and green Viva spotted at this event some time back. I'm guessing they're one and the same, as what are the chances of two HB Viva drag cars? Either way, it certainly attracts the hordes, doesn't it?!

32932125555_07711553da_c.jpg

I've wittered on about the massive rear lights on these Sunbirds before but in all honesty, I think that gigantic or not, they really work. All in all, this really is quite a smart ride. Well done.

32891472646_11907dbfe7_c.jpg

This has definitely been spotted before but it's just so right, I doubt that anyone will mind a double post. Can you see a bit of similarity occurring in these shots? I'd love to say that it's some style I really gelled with that day but in actual fact, it's the best I could mange without leaving my camping chair and so pretty much all of the shots will look very similar because of my laziness.

32891467796_fc5a98dfe9_c.jpg

See? There's something about this Capri being jacked up that really accentuates to me how tiny the headlamps were on Mk1s.

32551317140_f5e914db2b_c.jpg

Seems it was tastefully modified Ford day that day, which is quite often a misnomer, I find. I've only just noticed that they all have very similar wheels, as well. Aaahhhh, not a billet chrome in sight.

32551327250_964a5b0a35_b.jpg

This was a clear car of the show for me - I do love to see a good gasser. Did quite well on the track too, from memory.

32777766952_d7d7f1af2b_z.jpg

Back to the crushing banality of a few phone spots now but this Maserati was really quite a surprise to see turn up one day at work. Not 100% on it being lowered, as those rear wheels look a little bit inboard to pull it off. Still, someone owns a tidy Maserati and I'm pissing about with a driveway full of old cars that no-one cares much about, so what do I know?

32777765592_f7347bf46d_z.jpg

Spotted on the way to a camping trip just before Christmas, I thanked my bladder for not needing to be emptied at this particular toilet stop, lest I'd have missed this fantastic XA Falcon. Don't they just look perfect on steels and dog dish caps?

32931484285_a0de9591df_z.jpg

Have a second shot, to indulge in hot, unadulterated hubcap action. UUUUUURGH.

32931481225_4be24f07bc_b.jpg

After arriving and pitching up at the site, I was given permission to ditch the in-laws and take off on my trusty pushbike for the afternoon, covering 25 miles or so aimlessly looking for chod. This generic overview featured a couple of oldies still earning a crust.

32931483285_4aae9d4ae6_b.jpg

This excellent D Series later caught me up on a long uphill section, where I was able to confirm at very close range that it was V8 Cummins powered. Again, profuse apols for potato footage.

32807412741_f2aafcde8f_z.jpg

This Nuffield (I think) tractor was one of many old knackers parked around the place as boat launchers and it's great to see them thriving, even amongst the inevitable rise in expensive holiday housing being built everywhere.

32551314290_3c1e68817b_c.jpg

Here's a small fleet of them, headed up by a Zetor closest by, IIRC. I later watched 3 men moor a boat back on to its trailer and I must say, the sea wasn't calm and the oldest fella had obviously landed a few craft in his time, as he elected to pilot the tractor, which was by far the safest place to be. 

32116559363_2dd265a623_b.jpg

Last one for now was this tasty pickup on too small tyres seen whilst out for dinner one night. Not actually too bad for an obsolete phone camera in low light.

Bit boring and shite-deficient I'm afraid folks but I've got a more eclectic selection up my sleeve for next time. Cheerio!

OK, since I seem to be suffering from a bout of Saturday morning insomnia, you may as well have a nice juicy update. First up though......: 

Great shots as usual. What sort of times and speeds are these drag cars running?

Honestly, I can't recall, as I try to cancel out the annoying announcer as much as possible! That said, 13-14s is probably about best in the last couple of meets, though they did have the odd car that'd run a parachute in the past, which I think signifies getting into the 10's. In all honesty though, the times can vary quite wildly between competitors.

That Chev pickup is on its correct factory tyre size !!!!!

Trust a reply from Old Father Time, using the age card to try and show me up. However, I point you to the below image as proof that a slightly earlier version (with the much nicer single lamp front) was much more successful at filling its wheel arches with sidewall:

1955-chevy-pickup-right.jpg

Conclusive evidence, I think we can all agree on, as no doubt whatsoever can be cast into the accurate dimensions of artists renditions of things; just ask the hobbits in the background.

That Falcon is ace, especially on steels and dog dishes as you say.

World class update as usual. Thanks.

Kind words! I'm also glad I'm not the only one to revel in the pleasure of seeing dog dish trims in the 21st Century.

I'm feeling that this update is going to have a spottedlaurel approved level of content, which isn't something specifically selected - instead, it's just the chronological luck of the shite-nabbing draw.

32777757902_4d1e069b5c_b.jpg

The white plate on this Swift initially drew me off the scent of spying some shite but the rear end looked rather early and so it proved. In fact, it's not even a Swift but a 1985 Holden Barina. Not only that but according to Wikipedia, it's an MB Barina and being a 3 door, it's NZ assembled, since the Aus market only got them in 5 door versions. But wait! There's more! Wiki only lists the slightly revised ML version of 1986 as being sold in a 3 door, so here folks is INTERNET HISTORY being rewritten, or something. What a time to be alive, eh?

32931526805_b0c1886a95_z.jpg

Lazy spotting of far away Ford from the drivers seat of a Ford. FYI, I'd just sat and eaten a pie, overlooking a giant lemonade bottle, celebrating a "World famous in New Zealand" brand of fizzy pop named after its town of origin. Only it's been produced and bottled in Auckland since 1980, so I think they need to get a new 'thing'.

32116555993_858a164395_z.jpg

Zipping about 4hrs south now and this cracking little X1/9 (as opposed to the giant model Fiat also marketed) was parked at the tyre shop which kindly plugged my slow puncture for nowt, over the busy Christmas period. Free service and a spot? I'll make sure to return.

32890906976_dd3dab1fea_z.jpg

I nipped over to Hastings on my pushbike, to catch up with relatives. The ride over for the first part is great, as you cruise along the coast. Then you pass a concrete production plant of some such, which reminds me a lot of Middlesbrough. It gets a bit nicer, then there's a more interesting industrial bit, where I saw this old Canter still liveried up for duty. It wasn't fuzzy in real life but since I was on a bike, I didn't take my DSLR.

32116550163_e7ec8a941b_b.jpg

This was the scene to greet me just across the road from my destination. Apparently, my Dad was quite taken with these Tercels at the time that he bought a Cavalier estate, in late 1983. Were these even released in the UK at the time? If not, that's probably why we never got one. If we had though, my upbringing would've been quite different, since they held onto the Cav until I was in my early 20's.

32807409031_e5f9bca90a_z.jpg

Another pedal powered potato spot, here's a November 1984 Mirage (Colt). Does an effective B reg Colt beat spotting an F reg Proton? Perhaps I should start an entire new thread, to find out.

32777755832_a18fac80b1_z.jpg

I do love an NZ new 1950's/60's American car, especially when looking so standard. Nothing shouts Kiwi to me like that shade of paint. Wonderful! Look how utterly dull all the other modern toss looks in comparison. Do people not have eyes nowadays?

32931464445_79ff7b81b8_z.jpg

Got to say, I reckon metallic blue is one of the best colours these came in but it's a shame that MR2's obscured the front a bit!!!! For those of you not in the know, here's 3 facts: 1) that Mondeo is my daily (the Jondeo, if you will): 2) That was an attempt at humour: 3) This is the closest parking spot to what must be one of the most over-hyped, glacially slow serving chip shops (waiting an hour isn't unheard of!), which closes at something silly like 6.30pm. Fortunately, there's a quite good curry house nearby, for the times that we attempt to buy some deep fried potato and leave disappointed and empty handed.

32932159145_4a91fe880d_c.jpg

Raglan is a surf town, so not averse to the odd surf wagon. This gem of a Corolla though shows signs of long term ownership, so I'm guessing it's just functioning as a car still. Love the sticky out hub caps, which quite literally, cap the hubs.

32807979751_b5a6102362_c.jpg

Here's the front end and a slightly closer view. Bonus plate that features my initials. Got to say that it's spots such as these that are still my favourites, seeing something just doing its job way longer than it has a right to. Just a bonus that it's not a saloon, as I reckon they're quite dull.

32932157395_ef55153134_b.jpg

Forgive the high contrast between daylight and shade but this was nestled up in front of a row of shops on a busy-ish street, so I didn't have time to muster up anything better. You might as well see this anyway, since I had to ensue a couple of seconds of crushing embarrassment being spotted by a rather attractive young lady sitting in the Jeep parked next to this. Actually, I reckon photographing an old Holden is borderline socially acceptable, so long as it's a Statesman like this, rather than a Barina....

32808035671_b4a1ae18cd_c.jpg

2 minutes idle stroll up the road, there was this. Yum on 4 digit black plates and excellent rear bumper treatment but I'll have to chip off a couple of marks for inappropriate whitewall application. Slightly awkward wide shot, to make it look to all and sundry like I was photographing the background.

32891521396_7786cb06f5_c.jpg

No-one was looking, so I took this one, too. Such an excellent rear end!

32932144685_5fbba4dd84_c.jpg

I'm guessing that the wider rims and low profile front tyres make this handle a lot better. Anyway, top marks to the owners for obviously chucking some coin at it, especially as it's not a VW. Please see me after class though, re: guff headlamp cowls.

32808028131_268380cfb4_c.jpg

Here's a veritable Patrol ute sandwich, with two notoriously rot prone Mazdas as the silver coloured bread, just metres from the sea! Only Mazda Low Numbers are very popular here and I've yet to see a crusty one, so it's obviously a geography/gritting salt thing, I suppose.

32808025971_9890438e77_c.jpg

This off the cuff shot has SL written all over it, though if it wasn't for the Chinese Six layout and general gawkiness of the truck, I doubt I'll have taken the effort to press the shutter button. Sorry but it'll be a fair while until a '91 on Sunny becomes worthy of a spot over here.

32808022751_5a5f5eb60b_c.jpg

If you're going to set up a business repairing surfboards and selling surf art (whatever that is), you might as well look the part, eh? Inner plate geek in me is mildly mithered by the white plates painted black but at least at the time these were pressed, the fonts hadn't been updated and it's the old AB1234 format, not ABC123, so I'll not lose any sleep over it.

That said, I'm sadly still wide awake but I'd best turn in again, in the vein hope I'll get some shuteye before the cicadas start up again.

• 3 months later...

I'm back! The reason for the 3 month hiatus on updating this thread is that I've been a bit busy with that occasional stuff I do, which is called work; doesn't half get in the way of doing other things, doesn't it? I've been busy working on a local film, a couple of TV dramas and a few commercials here and there, so expect a few shots from these, hopefully without revealing anything I've been working on prior to it being released, which would be quite naughty.

34039056974_423aa090fe_z.jpg

All self inflicted chod rules broken here with post '90 content but thought you might like to see a 9kg LPG cylinder being dropped through the roof of a SAAB 9-3. It was filled with water in lieu of LPG to make things somewhat safer and I'm happy to report that the interior suffered nary a scratch from the projectile. Car was defo scrap fodder by the end though sadly, due to further art department shenanigans as demanded by the script.

34718924902_1d21d1b530_z.jpg

This very tasty Subaru was another spot whilst at work but nothing involved with anything in front of the camera. Home made roof rack slightly obscures the fact that this is one of those very mildly taller-roofed versions, which seemingly was a Japanese thing of the time. Baffling.

32088045684_5f247ae996_z.jpg

Here's a pleasant, if overexposed summertime spot from the bottom of my road. Shockingly, I actually don't mind those late 80's/early 90's alloys. Got to admit I reckon that sometimes, these era Pontiacs would actually look a bit nicer without the trademark schnoz.

32088044644_c6327f9ef6_z.jpg

DS seen locally at another job - one I don't get paid for. Apologies for terrible quality phone pics but it's better than nowt, eh? 

32890898416_0a4f22ed23_z.jpg

Here's another one! Same era DS, taken on a phone again. This one was captured in a well to do part of Auckland, unsurprisingly. No doubt any NZ bound Shiters will be able to identify me by my fingers alone were they to pass me in the street, since they appear so frequently when I use a phone camera.

32777789542_3ca216255f_b.jpg

Were people outraged that a booted Mini could be called a Riley back in the day, like they were when a Montego became an MG? And why did they leave the chrome strip hanging mid-air, below the side window? Only accentuates how tacked on the boot is, to my eyes. I reckon it'd look reet snazzy if the strip met the tail lights. Just saying, in case there's any time travelling BMC stylists reading this.

32088043484_b459d6b98f_b.jpg

Grim scene is sadly a bit contrived through scene dressing - but only slightly. I repositioned this as per demands and even driving it a few metres was comically great. I think I want one. Is that OK to say about a Mustang?!

32088071594_9773043bc7_z.jpg

Not in any way shite (although the bonnet sticker looks a bit shaz) but this was only round the corner and was driven by one of the crew members, demonstrating that at least one of them has great taste in cars (most don't).

32550783960_55f9aac95b_b.jpg

What an absolute humdinger of a Holden! I've uploaded a larger image for your delection. It's only made better by the fact that it's very much plugging a trade still. I snapped this when leaving a garage, where I'd picked up a genuine ex-police 1992 Ford Falcon still with all its lights and decals. I've honestly never been so self conscious driving a car, due to all the stares.

34071460463_0479d68c80_b.jpg

If you thought that was good, then how about a down at heel JDM Sapporo TURBO!! Even better is seeing it on those delectable steels. Plenty of signs of it being a drift weapon back in its day. The top notch ones always rock a tow bar. No idea about the Papua New Guinea plate, though.

34039051834_42739c9c06_z.jpg

Just in case you'd wondered, it also had a front end, though not as much as it left the factory with.

34495802260_751dec4603_b.jpg

What? TWO shite breaches in one post? I reckon a one make racing series featuring Ssangyong utes fits the bill. They run 2.3 petrol motors and are very level pegging (though this is them running a rolling start - they're not quite that close knit usually) but I must admit that it's not a great powerplant to hear buzzing around a racing circuit, to the power of 30.

34039241054_81f858b85a_c.jpg

Incidentally, we were watching motor racing courtesy of Mrs_Jon, who bought me weekend tickets to the closest racing meet to my birthday. This was the last race we saw of the meet, due to wet weather. That crazy looking B was just about to lap the CRX, in case you wondered.

34039246374_8f947c5eb7_c.jpg

I'd love to say there were loads of cool old support vehicles but actually, this was the only worthy thing. Top clagging!

32777737432_373b984323_z.jpg

Finally for now, here's half a house I encountered on the way home from work one night. Thankfully, my home was still where I'd left it, so it was easy to find.

• 4 weeks later...

In response to a 6 page thread on whether someone should or shouldn't weld their car, I thought that rather than adding my two cents to it, instead I could divert my efforts and update my much neglected, ever-popular* spotting thread instead. Two things stop me doing this, however; one is that it's nice outside and I'd rather be driving a 205 GTI to run errands and the other is that no other bugger will read this for hours, since it's still the middle of the night in Britain. Plus, it's a flipping spotting thread and so is about as popular as smallpox anyway.

Therefore, here's a shameless place holder for night shift workers and insomniacs. 

34750656521_d96c5aa96f_c.jpg

Time/tiredness permitting tonight, I may well add some more content verbal drivel but in the meantime, enjoy this heavily processed shot (due to nasty low sun) of a WWII Something. No, I've no idea why the passenger seat is bolted down facing inwards either.

Best spottage thread. Needs more 90s! Come to the dark side. It's fun!

Behold, a new reader to this thread! I'm sorry but there simply isn't enough time to include stuff from the 1990's - in depth scientific tests reveal that this thread would be 812% more pages with 90's cars in, as they're still very common.

So, you may have guessed but I've gone and done a dirty and attended a car show to gather spots, rather than actually trudge the streets like a stalwart, hardcore spotter. 

34842714176_d9c26b6429_c.jpg

Let's recap with another angle of War Thing, presented here in Pa Larkin spec of a jolly blue colour. It's certainly tickled the fancy of Mr. Beige, the much lesser know Reservoir Dog.

34842705966_f7ec1612a3_c.jpg

Some great paint shades going on here, in the form of some 40 year old Datsuns. And a beige one, too. 

34882347155_34fbdfd6be_c.jpg

I do like the badge design of this era of Datsun, as well as the excellent trims they often came equipped with. There's not really a thing about this one I dislike but oddly I wouldn't be bothered about owning one. Weird.

34842696556_22c41d4982_c.jpg

You didn't think I'd dismiss this delectable 120Y next to it, did you? Especially when it's resplendent in the default 120Y colour. Is this maybe why they were seen as cars for old people, when the colour reminds you of an AC Invacar? Shame it's on such toned down standard trims and not those chintzy 240Z-esque ones. Must not refer to dustbin lids. Must not refer to dustbin lids.

34750633891_ebeffb60c3_c.jpg

I hope you appreciate this nauseating edit to this photo, as I always see these big Caddies as being owned by people who would entertain the concept of owning a lifesize plaster edifice of a jiving Elvis, or Marilyn Monroe with her skirt up. They're also the kind of people who lap up those 'Cadillac Parking ONLY!!!' signs in modern fonts but made to look old, so they'd probably like this terribly altered photo, too. In my mind, anyway. I'm sure that if they were in any way affordable anymore, I'd be happy to give one a try. 

34495771230_5869a45832_c.jpg

Defo the car of the show for me. This one wears one of my favourite Falcon rims and it's great to see such a well preserved example proudly riding high. Got to admit that I'm working through these images and blathering on in the order that they appear on my screen and this show was a couple of months ago at least, so forgive my fickleness if this turns out not to be the car of the show for me. 

34039197644_4a515ee776_c.jpg

Excellent. Can't really think of anything else to say. These jailbar Fords are usually a bit old man spec for me (i.e immaculately turned out in better than new paint livery, with a terrible modern white private plate) but this has benefited massively from just being left alone since how ever long ago it was when it started sporting those wheels. Funnily enough, it turns out I did have something else to say, after all. Imagine!

34882310895_c882cd92ce_c.jpg

Not sure I really like any of the design of this Mercry, especially those funny stacked headlights and the associated wing shape to integrate them. Still, I took the photo, so here it is. I will say this, though; imagine selling a car in salmon pink these days! I know it was the 1960's and all but weren't men more chauvinistic etc. back in those days? Yet they'd swan around in a salmon red convertible, or let their wives buy one?  

34071714373_512392e026_c.jpg

Mrs_Jon and I are in serious want to take a road trip round the States and do so in a thing we buy and ship back to NZ at the end, to sell on and refund a bit of the trip/hoard on our driveway. I think one of these would fit the bill nicely and I reckon these older, smaller model F150s are probably the same size or smaller than new Ford Rangers now, so wouldn't be socially unacceptable.

34842774026_70b61b872c_c.jpg

Here's an example of something Ford Australia no longer build - a car based ute. Now everyone shuns them and their origin cars in general, for SUVs and double cab utes made in Thailand. I've read a comment online by someone, saying that the old Falcon vs Commodore bickering is now Ranger vs Colorado. Versus BT-50 vs Triton vs Navara vs Hilux. Some weirdos buy Amaroks and Ssangyons, too. Socially unstable types and those who despise owning money buy Mahindras or Great Walls.

34071699283_282fd29e97_c.jpg

Inner plate geek in me had my interest piqued in this shortened plate shod Pop, which seemingly had a raised edge around its perimeter, leading me to suspect that either this is an ultra rare government issued narrow plate, or someone's modified it to a high standard and has thus out-nerded me in the plate stakes. 

34719267212_84f5b041b7_b.jpg

A quick trip round the back reveals that the original, unadulterated rear plate has a smaller raised perimeter, which confirms that the front plate has been modified and I can be officially sanctioned as normal. That said, others may have noticed a few other modified things on this first, perhaps. But it's a sign of a caring owner and aside from those sun damaged LED teardrop light things, I like this a lot.

34719254482_a89b5256d1_c.jpg

Here's some local lithe truck drivers taking a well earned rest. The show was a good mile or so from their yard, after all.

34495839280_6d3e020354_c.jpg

Jeez, what a flipping mess! I can't put my finger on a particular detail I dislike, mostly in fear of poking through the body (#satire) but I reckon things would look much better with the headlight gap narrowed and without that stupid stack and an actual fuppin door hinge. Seriously! I'm surprised the door mirror isn't attached to the door by a wonkily shaped spanner.

34039279454_72719c3899_c.jpg

It took a while to materialise but here's some prime interesting car show goer, bedecked in his and hers camo, eyeing up some terrible wheels. Must've left their crash helmets on their home built trike.

34495823130_4fee35e1f7_c.jpg

Here's a perfect antidote to the above guff, in what I now declare to be my car of the show, even though it was actually in the car park. Six inset bumper tail lights is best.

34842748536_5d145ae890_c.jpg

Front end is equally yum. In case anyone was in doubt, I heart old cars on original steels and big squashy tyres. Not sure I've got that point across quite coherently enough previously. I'd love to say that cool old dude back of shot got in the driver's seat and peeled off down the street but he didn't. Probably strolled back to a Mitsubishi Mirage instead and went off to the supermarket, like he does every Sunday.

34882396045_927fcbcb14_c.jpg

I'm going to go out on a slight limb here and say that, much as I'm cheered by seeing such an immaculate Kingswood wag parked up, I reckon that in their original state, the rear end could be ever so slightly lengthened, to proportion the shape up a bit between back and front ends. When they've been lowered, the illusion is better, hence why ground hugging ones are OK in my books. But not on standard rims. My rules on rims are both complex and contradictory at times but people really should take the time to learn them.

34039258214_d9a0045daa_c.jpg

Original HQ end is best front end of the lot, in case anyone wondered.

34882385925_0b74d92fa7_c.jpg

Not only does this Zephyr look all the better in its not quite perfect state, it also sports a serendipitous plate for the last spot here.

Bye! 

• 3 months later...

Word up, Shiters!

Let's ignore the 7 ruined pages of this thread, courtesy of Photobucket (I'll get round to sorting that one day) and get into some fresh, juicy content.

I've been away holidaying in the good ol' yankee stateside of America, where we took a month long road trip. With my tendencies to spot stuff I see when I can, I'll offer this advice: If US tin is not your thing, it may be best for you to ignore the next dozen or so updates down the line, though naturally, there's a fair old variety and it's not all American.

37071616853_49a0faff5b_c.jpg

Let's start off really mildly, with a couple of interesting things seen at the Space Centre in Houston, TX. Would highly recommend it as a place to visit for those of all ages,what with the propensity of free guided tours utilising shuttle buses (see what I did there), such as the one above. There's some disappointingly newer ones but this one was worthy, I thought. Anyway, it was half price ticket day and free parking, so win win.

37693653186_426326f00d_c.jpg

The US rovers really were quite different, weren't they? [/satire]

37071609543_881f077c2a_c.jpg

Mildly artwank here but this was the doorway to one of the many motels we frequented and I quite liked the colours and the light, so I took a snap. This is my holiday after all lads, so cut me some slack. Hunday (sic) left of frame was our steed for 7500 miles and coped very well, should anyone be bothered.

37694246416_39e6892e3a_b.jpg

By now, we were the first few hundred miles into our trip and I've got to admit, I was concerned that there hadn't been much to see, so I actually turned round and parked up for this shot. Like the name of the establishment: it has quite a RING to it.

1024px-Blanc_saint_andr%C3%A9_rouge.svg.

This big X signifies my shite spotting paydirt and is an image that has no place a lowly 5 shots into my holiday snaps, so I will save this until much later, for those of you who care enough to re-visit. Suffice to say, I think it was a good effort.

37694242296_e40ea9ce50_c.jpg

Anyway, at said place of grail-like content was something much more traditional, an early Ford Bronco. Good to see quite a few of these about and in use.

37694240776_461a85e978_c.jpg

Best Cadillac named after a terrible British soap. Love how the missing buttresses attest to their absolute uselessness in the first place. Imagine a time when adding an extra foot to a car's length was not a problem at all?

37072147483_2a2e2a890a_c.jpg

It was there, so I took the photo. Bit meh about the GM styling of its truck at the time. Interesting that so many survive, compared to the numbers of UK 1950's heavy(ish) commercials, for instance.

37033259064_02d925323a_b.jpg

I think I can speak for us all when I say that this is a quintessential Harley. They seem to have a knack of making stuff to attract middle aged men, don't they?

37033255684_a3678e2dd3_c.jpg

Flip knows what this is. Reminds me of Christine but it's patently not a Plymouth Fury. Actually, I should probably start putting in some glaring errors, to alert a reply once in a while.

37742615511_f00c999055_c.jpg

Great example of a Talbot Samba. Didn't know the US got them.

37072136813_3c7cf0bddd_c.jpg

Such a shame that Studebaker went under, as a lot of their later stuff had some nice lines. Let us gloss over the rectangle headlight period of later Avantis built under licence, though....

37072134173_8dd6290d69_c.jpg

Ooh, a Triumph GT6 back of shot! Didn't nab a shot, soz. Always had Mrs_Jon waiting in the car on my chod sojourns, so you have to draw the line somewhere. Happy wife, happy life and all that.

23889673548_7347269b97_c.jpg

I've not seen any in the metal but I've a feeling that one or two Hudson Hornets made it over to NZ, in RHD form. That'd be a great spot but a rusty native one will have to do for now. No idea why this pair hasn't been moved from the storage units. GR8 4 inconvenient access.

37742553391_40120fe719_c.jpg

Remember that thing I just said about late Studebakers? Well, ditto for AMC. Their styling was a bit shaky to start with but by this era and beyond, pretty much everything was excellent. They defo sold these in NZ in RHD, as I've spotted one in Horopito and seen some others, so maybe one to add to the imaginary 'may own one someday' list.

37742548551_55efe4f89c_c.jpg

Breaking my own post mid-80's cut-off point here but someone had requested some 90's content and Lukas used to (or still does?) own one, so here it is. But only because it's pleasingly scruffy.

23889668458_505e65c2f4_c.jpg

Incidentally, this and the Buick above were spotted in Eureka Springs, a pleasant little town made all the more pleasant by the discovery of 3 different bottles of Samuel Smiths beer for sale in a local liquor store, which I very enthusiastically bought. That said, I'm not a heavy drinker, so it took me the whole trip to get round to polishing off 3 bottles of beer. Oh yeah, nice truck.

37742539891_06830258ea_c.jpg

Not the most enthralling spot but seeing federal spec bumpers in this day and age is still cause for celebration, I think.

23889664988_26e2d0e6af_c.jpg

Again, a bit too young here but a nicely scruffy late 80's Dodge Dakota is still interesting, I hope. Seen in Salem, Indiana. Again, wide shot to look like I'm a normal person, taking a photo of the pretty town square and not a forgettable old truck.

37484457930_49a4c86536_c.jpg

This is much more like it, a happy consequence of a rural diversion due to road closure, without which, I wouldn't have spotted this Dodge Viper GTS.

^^ Erm, yeah? Is it right that you're touring NZ on a scooter?

Hey! I'm walking here! That's right, that street speak denotes that we're in Chicago! We had visited Indianapolis Speedway between this shot and the previous one but I haven't uploaded the photos, as I'm not sure if they're of interest or not. Let me know if anyone's bothered.

37484453730_43bf5da066_c.jpg

Anyway, soak up that 90's thing with chrome trims (another 'Lukas' Buick derived model, I think?), as that's your lot. Very poor show Chicago, very poor show. Almost as poor as the hours of Friday night traffic we sat in to get to our crummy motel. Oh well, the deep dish pizza was nice and I liked going on the train, elevated above the road, as seen in the Blues Brothers.

[segway] Speaking of which! [segway/]

37484451560_f8209606bf_c.jpg

The most convincing and accurate replica of a Bluesmobile I've ever seen happened to be stuffed up on a pole in a garage/fast food parking lot, just outside of Joliet, IL. We visited the prison that Jake was released from, which has been dormant for quite a while now. Took a photo of the gate where Elwood picked him up but it has changed a bit, to the point that I wasn't sure it was the right one. The area outside the gate is deceptively small though and has become more overgrown, so we were at the right place. BB is probably my favourite film ever and I didn't even recognise the location, or indeed enjoy finding it that much. Weird.

By now, we had begun the crux of our journey, which was to travel a unique and original path from east to west, tracing along the lines of the old Route 66. I know! How original and pioneering! Still, it seemed like a bit of harmless fun, revelling in some kitsch along the way and taking some photos of old stuff, including cars. Inittially, Illinois was not really providing the goods that often but I did stumble across this unassuming little building at one small town:

37484450010_cecee10896_c.jpg

I'd better take a closer look. Iasked permission of the guy having an argument with his young son on the driveway left of frame and it wasn't his and he wasn't bothered, so I stepped up to the glass. But first, a Pontiac Fiero Pace Car special edition. And is that an Escort?! Also, bonus Hyundai Mulipla, back of shot:

37484450860_1f60c5f1a3_b.jpg

Just a bit of fun lads, don't shoot me.

37072112983_16fe17a96a_c.jpg

Anyway, sever apols for upcoming low qualz shots but there was no other way of getting a peek without breaking and entering and 8 men on the internet just aren't worth it, soz. But L@@K! Datsun 120Y in yellow and Fiat X/19 in brown, both on federal bumpers!!!

37484441180_799ccf041a_c.jpg

Early Escort, Tercel and a Yugo, all seemingly immaculate and all utterly, utterly dull to most Americans, I'd imagine. It's like a stateside version of the hero on here who collects low mileage Yugos and Talbots and is so heroic, that his name escapes me.

37694192406_d27fce9fd0_c.jpg

Despite the guff editing I've done to try and control the light levels so we can see what we've got here. I spy Honda CVCC and early Prelude and I can't remember what those wedge shaped city car failures were called but strangely, I saw another 3 of them in a truck yard later that day, one of which was immaculate like this. So, there's pockets of enthusiasm for them about the place. Oh yeah, that's a Nissan EXA nose seen next to the 120Y but I still see those in NZ once in a while.

Anyway, only a teeny update here but I think content wise, I've nailed it for Autoshite content. Cheerio!

So, Route 66. Findings so far? It seemed a little overhyped, in terms of roadside attractions but some small towns were giving it a go at upkeeping things of interest.

37484435810_015d040576_c.jpg

I mean, you know, nice effort and all but it's hardly the most enthralling thing. And a Ferrari GTO? If you peer really closely, you'll see the bum of a late series Volvo 240. A sort of DVD easter egg, if you will.

37484431910_e89f51a429_c.jpg

Much better. I think this was just some fella's garage, though, not an 'official' sight to see.

37033215884_290ebcc5c1_c.jpg

Had this nestled round the side, too. Lovely stuff.

37484425230_c198e9c8e3_c.jpg

I don't want to sound ungrateful but it's a little pleasantly anodyne, if you get my gist? It wasn't open though; I'm not sure there was anything at all in the building to be open for, in fact. Hey look, just saw it was called Soulsby's - should've done a lack of soul remark, perhaps. Shame there's no edit function here.

Anyway, somewhere down an interstate, after just visiting an antiques emporium, where I picked up some choice ephemera (a bent Illinois licence plate and cruet set in the shape of some cowboy boots - Made in Japan, naturally), I landed at a massive old car sales place, with apparently 600 cars on offer! Can't even remember the name, I didn't stop to check the sign, I was so excited! Paid my dollar entrance fee (there's a small charge for everything in the USA) and here was my first sight:

37694175596_9a7de6e4e9_c.jpg

37484416150_f9beac0cdc_c.jpg

Oh cool, they've got some crap stuff, too! Despite being GM and most likely pre-dating it, I see a striking resemblance to an OMNI here. I suppose it's about time that I 'fess up and state that although I witnessed 3 OMNIs, I wasn't able to nab a snap of any of them. It's one regret that still hangs over me and I've not slept properly since.

37694169456_ccc0ab84d5_c.jpg

Another good looking wagon here. Is $6950 salty for one of these? Bit of a niche interest, I'd have thought but maybe I'm out of touch. Can totally see the inspiration of bo11ox_era 929 stacker styling cues at the front. Wonder if they sold well (or at all?) in the US?

37484411240_9d023a462e_c.jpg

Burgundy and black is a winning body/trim combo but it's all a little bit sober compared to a lighter, metallic shade. Looks like it should be whizzing round Gareth J's Scalextric track with a marksman leaning out the window. No idea what's going on with the thick body colour surround of that rear window of the yellow car? Does it pop out, or something?

37694163996_62829ce30e_c.jpg

Overview of some of the outdoors stuff. There were pockets of sheds and canopies all over the shop - I'd let out a lowly audible (I'm of British origin, after all) gasp/snigger each time I rounded a corner, thinking I'd seen everything and could return to the patiently waiting Mrs_Jon. Thank cripes the place had the foresight to lay on a courtesy friendly stray cat, to keep ladies occupied.

37710652922_9d92ff18ce_c.jpg

Looks like they had a sideline in barn style garages. GR8 4 putting a 2 poster under, I'd imagine.

23889636258_9e32aeb938_c.jpg

Strange to think that these were launched 35 years ago now. I only really took this snap to demonstrate the breadth of the era and condition of stuff sitting there but I'm almost seeing the appeal of these when I see one like this, without silly body adornments and sporting a tasty set of ordinary sized wheels. The un-contrived rust probably helps too but yeah, case made; there were some utter turds sitting round the place and some of the prices were laughable.

23889617638_83291238d0_c.jpg

This Corvan certainly had some appeal. Incidentally, there were churches everywhere and most of them had those extra long wheelbase Ford or Dodge minibuses, which were probably made solely for churches. Saw a few new Transits filling the roles and interestingly, you can buy them brand new with a low roof and twin side clap-shut doors. Sliding doors seem to be the preserve of high roof Transit vans and minibuses. It's nuggets of observation like this that always makes me wonder how I managed to become somebody's husband.

37694148206_9997a724c7_c.jpg

Another well presented vehicle up for offer. Loving the 'freshly dredged out of a lake' look. Nice red stripe accents though. I've said it before but people need to be a bit more creative with such things these days on older cars, rather than default centre stripes, as most stripe consumers go for.

23889626138_3dbb9975e6_c.jpg

Now this tickled my fancy rather a lot, though they're quite common imports to NZ, so I'd be following the crowd a bit. Can't be doing that in a hypothetical scenario now ,can we?

37694154566_ee123793ac_c.jpg

Banana shaded background bounty. Loving the roof decreptitude. Really shouts 'Buy Me!'. Would that roof have been a bit more of contrasting shade back in the day? If not, it seems rather pointless applying it but what do I know?

23889614188_bfe7684e46_c.jpg

I offer up this offering in memory of the loss of a great former contributor, fotorabia. No idea how he managed to pull off such great side portraits of cars but he did and it's not something I can emulate, despite trying. Anyway, miss you Rab, hope all is well if you still lurk here.

37742511371_c16ac3ce05_c.jpg

I liked this but for some reason, my overlying thoughts regarding this particular steed were: formerly owned by a racist. I hope it's my own jaded prejudice here at work rather than the actual truth but it's funny how the mind works sometimes. On the subject of racism, I only encountered one such comment when a bloke struck up a conversation, at a small town gas station in Louisiana, I think. Or maybe Missouri. Uncomfortable as it was, my pre-conceptions had expected to witness far more of this kind of thing, so it was nice that I didn't. Interestingly, people often make direct reference to their origins in most conversations, as a sort of signifier as to why they do things differently, etc. Just seemed like a way of maintaining a racial divide in my mind, tbh.

Anyway, this is Autoshite, not some post-Newsnight BBC 2 panel show with that Irish gadgee, so back to the chod.

37484395180_b3ebe5bda9_c.jpg

You'll have seen a glimpse of this in a few shots, so here's what appears to be an Italian(?) T25 in the States. Certainly mainland European though. It'd been there quite some time by the looks of things and no wonder  - they wanted $15000 for it! Come on man, have a word! 

23889609738_ffff65f1bd_b.jpg

This was nice. Not sure what else to add, really.

37484391580_601fcbbc10_c.jpg

Be like Junkman, albeit a totally different year and not a sedan. That said, now that he's sold his LTD, perhaps an empty patch of driveway would be a bit more 'be like Junkman'.

Don't spend all those hypothetical dollars yet Dan, we've only just got started!

Anyway, it's Friday night here and I've had a bit of bourbon, so let's have a Brucey Bonus TWO updates in a day.

23889606758_39ea15401d_c.jpg

What? ANOTHER Hudson Hornet? Booooring.

37484386560_06527a8d7a_b.jpg

50's grilles really were quite something, weren't they? It's like when I used to doodle cars during school lessons, not knowing when to stop adding another little detail somewhere. It certainly beat the alternative of learning academia, anyway. Bonus early Bronco being trailered, back of shot.

23889603188_c25302f9bb_c.jpg

They're certainly imposing and I do appreciate the quality but blimey, these Imperials have a face only a mother could love. I don't think there is a way to successfully enclose that awkward gap behind those, uh, striking headlamps.

37033172264_82c448fa10_c.jpg

Not too bad a price though? I'm sure these are worth a whole lot more in NZ.

37710618232_bf53dd5405_c.jpg

Much better. Presumably, someone time travelled back to the early 60's and told Chrysler the error of their ways, based on my well argued opinion. Cheers mate.

37033169564_fe7daafcd9_c.jpg

Period colour. Check. Great wheels/caps/tyre size combo. Check. Perfect. Oh, wait....is that checkerplate in the bed? Forget what I said. Everything's ruined.

37072067763_d0661ee27a_c.jpg

Cheer up Jon, it's a frigging AMX Javelin, with period mods!!! Dream car, right here. Check out the stripe details and look at those rimz, yo!

37484499690_2bbd2f7e71_c.jpg

Unapologetic multi-shot homage. Such a gawky/awesome front end. And just look at the side profile of those accentuated bubble arches. YES. Only downside is that this particular car hasn't been given a name.

37072061923_fe3e8eaa63_c.jpg

Oh, it has! I fell for this big time and would totally love to drive this thing around exactly as is. I'd feel such a winner that I reckon I could shake off all the inevitable comments about that titled duck tail spoiler.

37072065373_15f5cba7da_c.jpg

Javelin too much for you? Then step this way to this more sedately modded Hornet. How did AMC produce such lookers with so little cash?

37033163524_228188b917_c.jpg

Loving the incongruity of jazzy rims on something your gran would drive. Works for me. I like.

37072059663_b32f678d3c_c.jpg

Dunno about you but nothing shouts 1989 like a 1960's off roader with plastic wood cladding. Looks great though!

37694090886_2cd2cd940c_c.jpg

To put this into a social context, the Land Rover Discovery was launched the same year this was built. These late Grand Wagoneers seem to be commanding big bux now, so $8850 is probably a very fair price for one you could drive away.

37072049923_ebdc5feae5_c.jpg

Rab-style copying emulation verdict: getting better. Presumably the massive asterisk has fallen off the end of the 'Sport' badge on the C-pillar. Unless it's the Andy Fordham Sports edition. Kapow! My scathing satire strikes again!

37694087266_4102ab30cd_c.jpg

Now, forgive the slightly dicky contrast but it was very sunny that day and those canopies offer up a lot of shade, which isn't a digital camera friendly mix. But just look at these two!

37694085906_9db215c6fc_c.jpg

This Tradesman was so tidy, it was vying big time for my personal fave with that temptress Javelin. I'm a sucker for a good shade of brown.

37742446681_ac285d8516_c.jpg

Perhaps I was being overcome by that seemingly fresh paint job and its bone stock standardness but I reckon it was a bit of alright for $6950. What a stunner!