VEG friendly motors.... What runs on what?

Lankytim

Filter it through several J clothes arranged in a filter funnel, you don't really want to be putting bits of worn transmission bands through your injection system..

post-82-0-00996500-1506464990_thumb.jpg

Something like these? I have plenty of fresh cloths like that so if that will provide sufficient filtration that's good.

I practiced changing my fuel filter at the weekend and it was really easy. Very accessible as the filter housing is mounted on the battery tray.

The 2.5 TD always used a Bosch pump in the XM, the 2.1 started with Bosch and changed to a Lucas EPIC.

ATF is fine as a fuel.

If you want to filter more than the ATF down the line I recommend a "sock" type filter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172875547332

Cool, the same seller has a 10, 5, and 1 Micron set for £11 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-FILTER-SOCK-10-5-1-BIO-DIESEL-VEG-OIL-W-V-O-SVO-COOKING-OIL-BIODIESEL/182778566623

I can see myself getting sucked into this running on veg malarkey.  When I drove to Holland in July in the Subara I burnt £150 in petrol, I have already started trying to work out how cheap I could do the same journey running on veg in the XM.

Birmingham to Scotland in November should be my first proper test of a long veg fueled journey. It turns out my mother has a Costco card so I am going down there on Friday to see how cheap their veg oil is.

Bear in mind you don't have to filter new oil but it's good to have options if you find cheap or free WVO.

I would like to filter the used ATF properly before I use it as I drained it into a dirty bowl when I was changing it as at the time I had no idea I would be later using it as fuel :)

I guess most chip shops have a disposal arrangement in place already? Or someone will have already claimed their waste oil? There is a chippy 30 seconds walk from my house so I may ask them what they do with their old oil next time I am in there.

Veg/dino mix OK in a Lucas-pumped 205?  Asking for a friend...  :)

I think some people with Lucas pumps run them on a 50/50 mix, but they aren't as up to it as a Bosch pump. I did the same in my old 306 before converting it to Bosch.

Basically, run it on 50/50, but if it goes tits up, shove a Bosch in instead. :D

I would like to filter the used ATF properly before I use it as I drained it into a dirty bowl when I was changing it as at the time I had no idea I would be later using it as fuel :)

I guess most chip shops have a disposal arrangement in place already? Or someone will have already claimed their waste oil? There is a chippy 30 seconds walk from my house so I may ask them what they do with their old oil next time I am in there.

Yes most places have commercial collectors and are reluctant to change. It's worth pouncing on places if they change owners or are new businesses.

Set up an alert on Gumtree, some people have a surplus they want to get rid of or have stopped making biodiesel.

I've just bought a 210000 mile 1.9 xud xantia with bosh pump and work in a chippy. What do I need to do to the waste veggie to make it work? I'm totally new to this veggie malarkie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Filter this fooK out of it basically and off you go.

My XM would run on 100% filtered clean waste veg, even in winter but many others like to add 10% diesel up to 50%ish in winter. It varies from car to car.

My Inca SDI is running on 100% WVO just now, but running 100% oil is a curse if you live somewhere that's cold in the winter, or if we have a bad winter countrywide.

If the fuel delivery side is marginal, eg the pipes and filter housing that can cause issues too

• 2 weeks later...

Chances are there'll be pump failure on 80/20 veg if it's the most common variety (GM soya) and there are no mods made to the fuel system. As a minimum for high veg% + Lucas I'd suggest a fphe to thin the fuel, even at 50/50.

I've done it and got away with it even sub-zero, but it was rapeseed oil and with a fphe. The savings are marginal when running new oil even at 95% unless you're doing high miles/poor mpg.

I've just bought a 210000 mile 1.9 xud xantia with bosh pump and work in a chippy. What do I need to do to the waste veggie to make it work? I'm totally new to this veggie malarkie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It must be dry as well as polished clean, google 'hot pan test wvo'. Dirty oil will clog the lines/pump/filters, damp oil will cause terminal ftp at some indeterminate point in the future, directly related to how much you need the car at that moment.

See http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/mybbforum/ - there's little they don't know.

Bosch pumped XUDs run on cooking oil, LHM, gearbox oil( manual and auto) oil from oil cooled welders, paint mixed with petrol, goose fat, paraffin

An old petrol Fiesta that I was going to scrap but had a bit of tax and test on it got tried on thinners. It ran but pinked badly. 50/50 wasn't too bad. I got rid of lots of waste thinners with that old thing