VEG friendly motors.... What runs on what?

Lankytim

A US friend told me those W210s are worth reasonable amounts in the USA due that engine. Mostly because people like to rip them out and stuff them in other things.

They seem to keep their value slightly higher than "utter fucking scrap" here in the UK too.  Saloons seem to bottom out at about £350, even with no MOT.  Estates at about £500.  A decent tidy Estate with a years ticket on it can make well over a grand.

If anyone wants one, I'm breaking a W210 saloon at the moment with a good OM606.. Wife has told me the back garden looks like a breakers yard and she's had enough of it.  To be fair, it does.

Hey hey it's bumping time. Will my 2.5 TD XM be veg friendly like Lankytims? I can just pour straight veg oil into the tank and that's it? It's my first ever diesel but I have always wanted to try running on veg oil at least once.

Heidel, the XM should enjoy a slurp of veg and even go better with half diesel half veg, at least in summer. Just watch out for creating seemingly perpetual leaks by running too high a % of thick oil, once they've been created they can be time consuming to sort and there's nothing worse than an unreliable diesel.

If you're considering running on it for long then new oil saves only a marginal amount while risking considerable expense - I've seen people make a real hash of things by not doing thorough research and getting into the sort of bother which sees them scrapping the car, even though the pump is still fine.

The folks over on the vegoildiesel forum have noted the Merc diesels' habit of ring gumming, even though they're IDI - they often fit a water injection system. The fuel system on the multivalve engines can be troublesome, too. Belting engines though in 5 and 6 cylinder form.

Does anyone on here (SVOSVM?) have experience with filtered waste veg in the 5 pot VAG TDI used in the Volvo 850 and Ph1 V70?

I have found a supply of free (but limited quantity) waste veg which I'd quite like to run the V70 on. It's just had a new filter, is 50/50 on a single tank about right, even with winter approaching?

Does anyone on here (SVOSVM?) have experience with filtered waste veg in the 5 pot VAG TDI used in the Volvo 850 and Ph1 V70?

I have found a supply of free (but limited quantity) waste veg which I'd quite like to run the V70 on. It's just had a new filter, is 50/50 on a single tank about right, even with winter approaching?

50/50 should be fine but they don't like a strong blend.

How are you planning to filter it? Do you know about settling?

Oil must be dry (hot pan test) and polished through 1 micron filters, ideally. Good oil is shiny-looking without any cloudiness, at ambient. If it's soya then it gets thick under 10c and can start gelling under 4c - rapeseed is ideally what you want, it's thinner and burns cleaner.

I've run the Audi 5 for many miles on veg, it doesn't like starting on much more than 40%+ (only sensible solution is a mains pre-heater if you don't want to twin tank it), but will run happily all day on high proportions (to about 80% - or 95% with a fuel HX) provided the engine works hard. There's the problem - sauntering around isn't ideal with direct injection and with over 200lb.ft you need quietish roads not to.

post-82-0-73799800-1506024987_thumb.jpg

I think I will start off gradually into the world of running on veg. I will get some fuel filters and have this oil in my kitchen cupboard that is out of date so will dump it in the XM. Going to have to investigate this Bookers cash and carry for cheap veg oil.

Thanks for all your noob friendly words of wisdom!

Never had a fuel sender problem but experienced failure of most other parts due to veg and bio. It starts innocently enough, breather in fuel cap gets blocked (Defender 300TDi), which then causes it to cut out. You sort that, then a few weeks later the fuel filter gets blocked (again) which means you have to change it at the side of the road, in the pissing rain, ruining your new Primarni t-shirt. Then the spill off pipes turn to goop and dump pretty rainbows all over the road.

Then joy of joys, the pump end seal dies as it's old rubber not compatible with the stuff, ruining the timing belt, pulleys and soaking everything in the vicinity with the stinking crap. Then then then you realise that looking back over the last 3yrs, you've been getting a good 8-10mpg less than when you were using proper diesel and realise the whole filthy exercise has been a big waste of time & money.... and that's even before you consider internal engine problems such as ring gumming, having to thin the stuff with petrol over the winter, etc etc.

My personal opinion- only worth bothering if you have a throwaway car that you plan to scrap in 6 months and can get the waste oil for free :(

What are people running on to have all these problems with filters etc. I did about 30,000 miles with a Lucas pumped engine running 75% veg/ diesel in the summer and 50/50 in the winter. In that time I went through 1 fuel filter after I relied on someone else's filtered veg.

Settle for weeks, decent off leaving cloudy bottom fat layer for making bio d or hot weather use. Filter when it's cold to 1 micron using gravity and time then run on it. Luckily my waste veg had very little water content to begin with otherwise you end up holding it at high temperatures to drive it off.

I've had to crack open a 5l bottle of "extended life vegetable oil" because I've set-up the bread-maker (14-year-old wedding present, rarely used) to make a loaf in the morning!

In my defence, the yeast was best before last month, the flour's BBE was 2013, but still - that's just over half a mile of veg oil in that breadmix!

Never had a fuel sender problem but experienced failure of most other parts due to veg and bio. (

Land Rovers do seem to suffer big problems on plant-based fuels, mainly because of their seal incompatibility with non-mineral fluids.

German cars were bio-diesel (which is far harsher on old-style 'rubber' seals than vegoil) friendly by 1993 and in general French cars are the same. I've run many tens of thousands of miles on high proportions of veg and the only trouble was in the early days when it was the fuel quality which caused problems.

Having said that, you can't expect to run a worn-out banger on soya oil at high proportions without having bother. Worn injector nozzles and poor starting will cause big probs. And VW-Audi diesels are the only DI engines which are veg-tolerant, the concave piston bowls will store sufficient unburnt fuel to prevent failures after repeated 30 second idles, but they're not infallible.

It may sound obvious, but oil must be free of water and dirt. Plenty of what people pour into fuel tanks isn't.