New chip-shop smelling, hydropneumatic shite - NOW FOR SALE

Wilko220

Whenever I see a picture of this car, even though it has different wheels, number plate and a tow bar, my brain still first asks what my car is doing in X place before realising it's being a stupid brain.  This has never happened to me before.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone. Sorry for not posting in the forum for, like, ever. But I'm writing 100 lines now and I'll try to be a better person in future.

Anyway, important news - this Xantia is UP 4 SAIL. However, I'm afraid, it's with no MOT and very much for spares or (quite a lot of) repair.

It has been and remains a very reliable, comfortable, economical and all-round excellent car. I have done some very long journeys in it and it has never let me down. However, as very much an amateur mechanic, I'm afraid I cannot justify the expense that it would require to keep it on the road for another year.

The following list is what I know to be wrong with it:

• Both front brakes binding (possible problem with calipers)
  • Rear discs badly corroded
  • Both rear inner door shuts corroded and require welding
  • Centre exhaust flange joint corroded and holed
  • O/S rack boot split
  • O/S track rod end corroded
  • Windscreen washers inoperable due to split hose
  • At least one tyre requires replacement
  • Clutch ok for now but on its way out

On the plus side, suspension seems ok, and it had a new timing belt etc last year.

Odometer currently on 138,000 miles.

I'm in St Albans, close to the A1, M1 and M25. It still drives perfectly well, so if you wanted to book an MOT in John O'Groats or something, I'm 100 per cent sure* it could get you there.

The car comes with about 2/3 of a tank full of veg oil and diesel, plus a new bottle of LHM. The towbar is still fitted too. With this in mind, happy to let it go to an Autoshiter for £60.

b2143b05d-1.jpg

Quentin says: "Don't be a mug and buy a BMW. Take Wilko220's Xantia instead and be the babe magnet you've always wanted to be."

Anyone want to take it off my hands?

Hello mate, good to see you back. How's the lovely 45?

Hi mate - to be honest, it has spent quite a long time sitting in the garage, but it's getting more use now that the Xantia has died! Still a great car - I think CVT is underrated...

Suppose I should add a few more details about this car which are not already in the thread. 

MOT expired on 7th May.

Mileage history:

18/4/12: 114622

08/5/13: 120897

29/4/14: 129625

06/5/15: 134976

Currently on a bit over 138000

I've owned the car since 2014, when I bought it off MrDuke of this parish.

It's a 1.9 turbo diesel. Will run on 100 per cent veg if you want it to, or smoothly on about 90 per cent veg.

The trim level is LX, which means few toys. You do get front fog lamps, electric front windows, an electric sunroof and a (very good IMO) original radio/cassette and sound system.

Bodywork is quite scruffy, with a fair bit of surface rust around the doors and a scratch on the bonnet. Interior is in good order.

If anyone has a genuine interest in this then please let me know or make me an offer. I can store it for a bit but not indefinitely - so, while I'd prefer it to stay in the AS family, it'll have to be ebayed (or failing that bridged) before too long if no-one here wants it.

Just in case anyone from here is considering chucking in a bid for this (currently at £67), here are a couple of pics of the areas requiring welding inside the rear doors that I've just added to the listing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XANTIA-ESTATE-Turbo-Diesel-veg-oil-friendly-for-spares-or-repair-/231972622286?

post-4829-0-62670400-1465734071_thumb.jpg

post-4829-0-54933200-1465734160_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the winning bidder for this turning out to be a typical timewasting eBay prick, this is probably available again.

Still at the special shiter's price of £60 (not much more than half what it reached in the auction). Includes more than half a tank of fuel and a new bottle of LHM.

PM me soon if interested though as I intend to relist this week if no-one from here wants it.

Ace. If it was me, I'd probably ensure I had a bottle of LHM and a spare pump belt with me. Neither of those are easy to find in an emergency. They do lap up the miles though. I remember a friend owned one a few years back, and we cruised the mean streets of East Sussex, blaring out Genesis' Trick of the Tail. We were the coolest cats in town.

Trick Of The Tail is an amazing album.  When Los Endos kicks in......MASSIVE shiver up spine every time!