Mercedes W124 estate: £0

Mr Livered

A few months ago I acquired a Merc W124 estate, but now it's time to move it on, to free up time to deal with my other motorcars.

I acquired it originally so that we could have a load-lugger with enough space for Mrs Livered and I to camp in (our double air mattress fits nicely into the cavernous boot when the back seats are folded). However, following the acquisition of a beige and very shite camper van, the Merc is surplus to requirements. Plus it's automatic, and I really don't know why I got an automatic, I really don't like them at all.

It has MoT until the beginning of July. What I should probably do is give it a good servicing, fresh MoT, followed by polish and valet, then try to get as much as I can for it.

However, I don't have a lot of spare time at the moment. If any shiter would like it as it is, thereby saving me the time and effort of preparing it for sale, they're welcome to it. Buy me a pint when you come to pick it up or something. It would be good to see this car go to a shiter who will look after it, so I'm happy to do a no-money deal.

Automatic

7 seater (2 rear-facing in boot)

136,000 miles

MoT 4th July

Things that don't work or work intermittently: windscreen washer jets (knackered pipe under bonnet), stereo, cruise control. There may be more.

It drives quite nicely, though it's not the fastest car in the world. It actually feels quite sprightly around town and happy to cruise at 70 or so on the motorway; it's steep hills where it feels a bit underpowered.

Has scrape on the side from before my ownership and bash in the plastic bit over the rear numberplate that houses the bulb, where I reversed into a bollard. Also missing one rear mudguard.

post-768-0-41620800-1398688210_thumb.jpg

post-768-0-60287300-1398688276_thumb.jpg

post-768-0-79721700-1398688334_thumb.jpg

post-768-0-54052400-1398688401_thumb.jpg

I'm in Deepestdarkest Devon, not far from the A30 between Exeter and Okehampton.

Bit of elbow grease that could be made perfect again.

Exactly; that's why I'm offering it for free. There are plenty of people on here who would be capable of making a really nice car out of this with very little effort indeed, and it will last for many years to come. If I sold it elsewhere it would probably go to someone who was looking for a cheap load-lugger, and it would get run into the ground and scrapped within a couple of years.

Far better to forego the cash, and see it looked after by a shiter. If I find a skint shiter who's in need of a car but is short on funds, even better.

"WLD U GIVE ME £20 2 TAKE IT + CAN U DELIVER?"

Very generous - As detailed elsewhere on here, I gave away a Golf Mk2 GTi 8v once, and the bloke had the CHEEK to moan about some of its driving foibles...(!)

I'll have need of a UK shed around this time next year, to keep my NCB running... This would have been ideal, but is 12-18 months too soon.

GLWTS etc

Very generous offer, mr L. As a serial w124 estate owner myself, I've had to have a word with myself about not taking you up on this. These are brilliant machines, classless ( do you live on a council or country estate mr Merc driver?) and are full of great design. Eg a sun visor each for driver and passenger will not do, a small extra one is provided to sheild you from sun that may get through the windscreen over the top of the rear view mirror. They seemed to think of everything!

AGGGG , why do this to me .

Id better not but im trade plate equipped and down in cornwall so if someone pays the juice I could help deliver etc. will have a spare driver with me for shitefest too. He will be with me up to Bristol if thats any help to anyone?

Thank you for your kind offer with transport, I have put my name forward by PM and if I am selected I may well ask for some help to get it up from Devon. I am in Buckingham and am going to Autoshite Wales. I don’t know how all that works out but lets see if I get the car first.

Only last week I was looking at Mercedes Ads for 8/9 year old E-classes but loads of money so not on at the moment. It has been nearly 4 years now without a W124 I wonder who could stop those pangs of wanting for me…….

Hi there Mr.Livered  -  can I have second dibs please if  Mr Six Cylinder doesn't go for it  - thanks !

I take it it's a 200 from what you describe the performance ??   Is it possible just to drive it away from

there as it is, or is there no ticket on it at all  ??

I shall be in Cornwall in 2 weeks (Penzance)  travelling down from Dorset via Exeter / Plymuff, whatever,

usually via X53 + X38 bus via buckfastleigh, Western Greyhound onwards into Kurnow  (have busspass!!)

cheers  -    Lovejoy.

Very generous and worryingly understandable way to pass on a still viable car.  Too good to scrap but not worth the hassle of putting it on gumtree and getting text messages at 3am and offers of  stuffed bald eagles and broken etchasketches as part exchange.

Also it's location is a great way to unwittingly trick your family into going on a shite collection mission under the guise that you're taking them on holiday (the fools).