Mk1 Mondeo Ghia X V6...

r.welfare

Just had a phone message from an old mate of mine. About a year or more ago he bought a 2-owner (father and son) 95M Mondeo Ghia X V6 saloon with something crazy like 38k on the clock. Full Ford service history, manual box, black heated leather, absolutely stunning - like it had just rolled out of the showroom. IIRC he paid a bag of sand for it. At the time I mentioned that if he ever wanted to sell...etc etc, as you do.Anyway - the call was to tell me he is looking to get rid. No idea on price as yet, but it's now up to 44k (he works the local signalbox so hardly drives it at all), had four new tyres and an exhaust. Also no idea if it's in as good a condition as it used to be, or whether he has succumbed to any Barry mods on it.Not sure I really have a use for it, but...anyone here interested, obv. when I get more info and some piccies? Or should I take the plunge if the price is right? (Would mean sacking off the 405 saloon, and I'm not sure I want to do that). My only personal knowledge of these Mk1 V6s is helping my next-door neighbour try to diagnose various ailments on his terminally-knackered P-reg Si, and noting there is bugger-all space round the lump in the bay. I'm also aware that the OEM water pumps have a plastic impellor, but have no idea whether this has been changed along with the cambelt - are Ford techs up with the nous that a belt needs changing due to age as well as mileage, I wonder? On the plus side, a couple of the mechanics at my local spannerwerks drive Mk2 V6s so they should be au fait.Opinions from the board gratefully received!EDIT: Just spoke to him, wants more than £500 but would take less than a grand (so I'm out), and it's apparently still a pearler. Any interest let me know, and I'll try and get more gen and pics.

Definately different engines: Probe was Mazda, Mundano was Ford Im sure of it.All the Mk1 2.5s I ever drove sounded horrendous to be honest. I don't know if there was a camshaft issue with them but they all seemed to ratlle to buggery and didn't really seem that quick either.

MOT till March RG, but I'm convincing him to put a year's ticket on it. Looks like pictures may have to wait until next weekend, unless I can pop across to him during the week. Deffo not a 4x4, AnthonyG. Looks like a factory-standard Mk1 Ghia X saloon in silver, for those of you who can conjure up a Google or mental(ist) image...complete with the chromy little grille.

Get yourself a nice 406 V6 saloon instead Richard, much more up your street. They're also criminally cheap at the moment. I nearly succumbed to a 60,000 mile R plate GLX V6 on ebay a few months ago - went for about £600. Only 210 bhp!

What signal box out of interest? I work in Slough PSB tell him!

Colthrop (just up from Thatcham station), and he's also covering Kintbury and Steventon at the moment. You might know him and have seen the car!

I'm deffo out on this, as I really can't justify it (nice though it is), plus the V6 luxobarge hole in my life (if there is one!) may well be filled, for nowt, by a 99T 825 Sterling later today...but am happy to garner info/pics for those interested.

Pog, get on that Exec TD wagon on t'Bay in St. Albans stat, stops me from thinking about it when I have no real reason to get another...

sounds like it was a good deal to me. ghia x mk1's do seem to fetch decent money. i rang about one early this year that was in the local rag at £850, thinking id go out, have a look and offer him 6 if it was REALLY good.. and it was already gone!at the end of the day they still feel quite modern in looks and in how they drive, if a bit dull..so a fully loaded one's a nice car