Any love for the Rover 75 here?

Guest Facelifted75

Guest Facelifted75

What's up guys thanks for letting me join.

I was wondering if there's anymore fans of the Rover 75 here? As my name suggests I like them even the facelfted ones. Sold mine last month to make way for a Golf company car. Life sucks!

Have a nice evening!

Rick.

Guest Facelifted75

I'd bite your dick off another one mate but I'm tied to this fooking VW for at least two years. So I can only look at other's. :?

Youngest daughter had one and loved it.  We swap cars a lot and I found I liked it a lot too, was very tempted to buy it off her when she felt she had to sell it to save money.

The Clio she replaced it with is dismal and costs just as much to run - less to insure though but not much.

The 75 was very refined (Connoisseur model) and a very pleasant place to be.

How do they drive, autoshiters? It's one of those cars I quite like yet have never even ridden in. What's the ride and handling? Are they softly sprung and well-damped? Does it all feel generic Euro-norm or something genuinely different, as it looks? And what's the quality of the switchgear like - a Rover with cheap switches just doesn't work for me.

Nice and smooth, decent ride (though mine was a bit tired) and nice enough handling. Biggest problem is that they are a modern car. I didn't like the feeling of being cocooned in it, even though the interiors are very lovely (mine was a Connoisseur CDT Tourer). I'm glad I owned one, but doubt I'll be rushing for another.

Very comfy. A great drive if you ask me - smooth, relaxed, adequately quick (2.0V6) with plenty of mid range and a bit of extra power if you rev it some more. But the thing for me is that it doesn't encourage you to go particularly fast, rather to relax and enjoy your progress - that's what makes it different from the usual. Ride is great. Steering is on the light side but not annoyingly so; mine's on cheapo Chinese tyres which might not help.

Switchgear varies a bit; they weren't shy with the plastic. Dash clocks are lovely though, and seats are really good on a long journey.

I read on wikipedia the facelifted models were given more suspension travel - is that right? What other mods improved the ride? Is the wiring CANBUS-nasty?

PS "Nice" - my teacher always told me to try better! Is it more like a late Audi 100-A6 (loads of spring travel and so comfy with sensibly-rated springs, but sharpish when needed with good damping) or more conventional, just tuned to be a wee bit softer than everything else - which is often so hard you cannot drive quickly any more, on poorer roads. How does it grip?

I mean, this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-2-5-V6-CLUB-SE-AUTO-GREEN-MOT-TAX-NO-RESERVE-X-Reg-2000-/261449525524?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cdf9b2914&nma=true&si=DKQTNEeOI8DqiQgtBwnW36zaNEU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 has just sold for very little, whereas a similar BMW crap-haus would go at least two or three times more.

How does it grip?

I've never had a car that made me as uninterested in finding this out. If this matters to you - and sometimes it does to me, I'm not criticising you here - you probably don't want a Rover 75. (MG ZT, maybe.)

I love mine, facelift cdti connoisseur se. Just run in and up to 170k now. Will be most disappointed if i don't get up to the 200k mark. Still looks like new inside, and no rust whatsoever. Drove non stop from coventry to Edinburgh the other month, and got out as fresh as a daisy.

I've had two - a 2-litre V6 that Skizzer now owns and a 2.5 V6 auto.  I agree with Skizzer re the driving experience - the 2.5 went like the clappers if asked, and I'm normally a fairly quick driver, but there's something about a 75 that just made me want to waft around at 55 everywhere I went.  Likewise, they are capable of going round corners quickly, in much the same way as your elderly aunt is probably capable of running to catch a bus, but it somehow doesn't quite suit the nature of the thing.

As has already been discussed before on here, whilst slightly old fashioned they really had it together with cars that were built to last in the final years with the 25, 45, 75 & Z cars (not forgetting the F)

Not that I mind it being mentioned!

I've never had a car that made me as uninterested in finding this out. If this matters to you - and sometimes it does to me, I'm not criticising you here - you probably don't want a Rover 75. (MG ZT, maybe.)

Thing is, there's always the tit in the BMW, sliding towards you on a wet road - I like a car which is capable as well as comfortable.

I've run a couple of them: a 55 plate CDTi that was a great mile muncher but started to go wrong after a couple of weeks motorway use. Lovely car when it was going right, smooth ride, comfy seats, nice interior. Got me from Liverpool to Folkestone painlessly in what is still my personal best time and it averaged about 50 mpg doing it. Unfortunately the clutch slave cylinder was slowing signs of misbehaving so it was sold on to the trade before the whole car became a liability.

The other one was a ZT-T 260. Probably my favourite car Rover ever built and the only MG I'd spend my own money on. That was a lovely car, but £5k profit meant it had to go. I would happily have another one of those, even though it was possibly beginning to show signs of the dreaded dash failure.

I always liked them, especially the interiors-just gorgeous. I chickened out of ever actually buying one because I was worried about unreliability but I would definitely run a ZT 260 if I could afford it.

I would definitely run a ZT 260 if I could afford it.

If you stay away from the magic volume pedal they're not that tragic on fuel for what they are. I got 18ish around town, mid to high 20s on a motorway run without trying too hard. Mid teens when "making progress", as Dibble calls it.

Open the taps and the effect on the fuel gauge is a bit alarming but the noise from the thing makes up for it. They do go well. Don't feel like a normal 75, steering, brake, gearshift and clutch have a solidity and weight to them that the normal 75 lacks. Not super quick but fast enough to be a good laugh, handling is ideal for road use as they are mega predictable if you're used to rwd stuff with a bit of poke. Some folk say they go to pieces at 9/10ths but I loved the way it drove. A ZT260 can make you feel like a superhero without actually trying to kill you. Get a ZT260 sideways and it is up for a laugh, try the same in a 540i and if you're not very careful it will try to chuck you in a ditch.

If I had the spare coin I'd buy that ZT-T 260 back right now.

Mainly because it sounded like this. 

ZT-T.mp3

Love the 75, I always thought they were the shape/design that Jags of the time should have been. I love the interiors and the clocks especially. Mate had the diesel tourer verson and it was lovely. I am awaiting collection of the 2.5 flavour saloon that a colleague is selling (eventually). The forum is a really good one, very informative and supportive.

Gotta be worth a punt as they seem to be cheaper than a cheap thing to buy at the moment.