Le bus oignon - Xantia of many Autoshiters - GYPSY CURSE

vulgalour

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nope just slower coz the tyres are a bit shit due to the age and lack of rubber left, that and the fact it weighs in at around 1360kg which is loads more than the 205!

Lol I love excuses

It's inertia. The 205 was quicker off the line than just about everything it raced because there is less weight to get moving.

• 11 months later...

So, the Onion Bus went back to Chompy and I ended up with this: http://autoshite.com/topic/21187-1994-rover-414sli-2407-update/

That meant I was leaving the fate of this car to the one person it hated the most.  What could possibly go wrong?  To start with, he got on with finding out what was going on with the brakes.  This turned out to be badly adjusted handbrake cables, something Mike and I never investigated because the brakes always worked and were just sometimes squeaky.  It looks like the Xantia might have had just one front disc replaced at some point in its life, given how the adjustment went.  Once adjusted some more power was found, unsurprisingly, because the brakes weren't on a little bit most of the time any more.

Good!

Searching for more things to resolve, Chompy took the opportunity to tweak a couple of items I've forgotten the name of to release more torques successfully.  He was most unlike himself because he just moved things the minimum to get some power rather than all the way to maximum and a bit further.  The result was very good and all was well.

Today, he came back to the unit to sort out the actuator arm and tweak it a little further.  The car was still being good and I followed him in at a leisurely pace  because we weren't in silly mode and then I see him pull up and put the hazards on.  Chompy never does this.

Then he handed me this.

20150724-01.jpg

That would be part of the auxilliary belt.  We limped the Xantia the few yards to the unit with the belt getting louder and flappier and generally more worrying.  Got it into the unit and straight up on stands and were both very grateful for the belt failing when it did.  It's a serpentine belt and we were expecting it to be a bit of a bugger to sort.  Luckily, just around the corner is Citromatics who got a brand new belt in under an hour for something like £18.  Here's the old one in situ.

20150724-02.jpg

Chompy was a little worried his tweaking had caused the problem but on seeing the old belt Citromatics said it was just a really old belt by the looks of it that had been damaged, it was a "ticking time bomb" sort of thing.  After a surprisingly short amount of time the new belt was fitted.

20150724-03.jpg

Then Chompy did some more tweaking and found more torques and now the Xantia is happy and Chompy is happy and I'm happy and all is well.  Accumulator sphere is up for replacement next as that is showing signs that it's on its way out, it's the only sphere that hasn't been replaced.  After that, Chompy is fitting a new timing belt kit which he's justifying to himself as not too bad a job because he can release yet more torques when he does it.

I dunno, this Chompy, he's all torque these days.

Sorry to drag this up, but can you remember if this belt was a boggo Xantia aux belt? I know the air con has been removed for much cooling improvements, but is the air con condensor still belted up with the rest? I kind of need one this weekend as it's started shredding again, but got intimate with the cambelt with hilarious results!