Autoshite Help/Information/Posting hints etc.

daveb47

Anti-hotlink feature by the looks of it. Hotlinking is also referred to as bandwidth theft - Autoshite gets the content and the click/hit while the image host pays for the image's bandwidth you are hotlinking to as it has to be sent from them to us.

Same idea if I ran a cable from mine to yours and took your electricity. I get the heat and light, you get the bill.

Some sites are designed to allow hotlinking, photobucket for example. This preserves bandwidth and disk space on Autoshite and uses photobucket's instead.

Enough drivel from me :)

Not hotlinking. I'm just copying the image and pasting it.

Ben

Copying what to where? The URL? Because if it's the URL, that is hotlinking.

If it's the image itself, then you are pasting/uploading it to Autoshite, which isn't hotlinking and would work.

I think I already explained why it worked a short time ago and not now. I copied and pasted the image from my own webserver into an office document. It worked fine, viewing the source showed no hotlinking - the image is embedded into the file and saved. When I did it in a test post here, viewing the source showed it hotlinking to the image instead rather than uploading it onto Autoshite's server.

Word and web forums aren't the same thing and don't work the same way.

As for experience...of this particular forum. Ran forums on vBulletin a while ago. There's not a huge difference in them, just like all petrol engines more or less run the same way give or take some minor variations.

How much experience do you have of how the internet works and in particular, how hotlinking and referrals work? Because I am pretty sure that's what the problem is. The source server of your image is checking the referral to see where it's being linked from. With MS Word, no referral. With this site, the actual address.

Sorry for trying to help anyway.

Anti-hotlink feature by the looks of it.

It may be the host server has changed something at their end that no longer works as before. The image you linked to doesn't follow the usual format of "www.webaddress.com/somefolder/filename.jpg" which is a direct link to an image.

Can you try the same copy/paste thing on another forum to see if it also happens there?

At least that way we can rule out whether I'm rambling shit or not ;)

Cheers

Ok, I just tried what you said and got that same message about not allowing the extension.

I'm assuming it means ".ashx" isn't an allowed extension. Forums usually allow specific extensions for security reasons (to stop people posting dangerous scripts or viruses for example). I can only assume it worked before because it'd have been one of the allowed extensions (jpg, gif, png and so on) and Microsoft have recently changed it to what it is.

Have you asked them if they've changed anything?

An ASHX file is a webpage that is part of an ASP.NET web server application. It contains references to other pages hosted on the web server that are sent to the user's web browser. ASHX files are processed by the server's ASP.NET HTTP Handler when a client web browser requests the page.

Given what it is, I doubt it would be allowed. Dave calls the shots so wait and see what he says.

Cheers

Another one for Dave...

I'm having bother seeing my notifications, I just see eternal buffering like so:

post-1381-0-68500700-1486392204_thumb.jpg

I've run CCleaner to clear whatever it does, and restarted everything, but still no better.

(Lenovo Win 10 laptop, Chrome)

Any ideas?

Recently there have had a number of photos on this forum I can't see, when I push on this is what it says. Any ideas, is it my end a setting needs changing?

"This site can’t provide a secure connection

uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Hide details

The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite. This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4, which is no longer considered secure."

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has already been covered but when viewing the forum on my phone in mobile view (which i do 99% of the time) unless i am logged out of my account, the thread that i'm viewing starts at the very first page. So when looking at news24 the first page it loads is from the very start (2008 etc). If i switch from mobile view to desktop then everything is fine but a real hassle to view.

Is there something i'm missing as its really bugging me! If not, would it be difficult to add a page selector in mobile view to the screen so you can jump to the selected page easily?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...