Possible swap. Porsche 944. Happy ending.

Bobthebeard

As topic header.
1988 Porsche 944 with tax and test. Sills repaired properly (by me, although I am no expert!) and lots of my money spent. Simply doesn't get used as much as it should (done around 1500 miles in it since purchase in 2011) and I need a good estate car! Crappy Halfords 944 lettering now gone btw. Original badge fitted. Has Porsche Boxster Turbo Twist style alloys and good tyres. 190,000 mileage. Owned for first 18 years by British Airways pilot and presumably loved by him. JMG Porsche short shift precision gear linkage recently fitted, not much service history but has been gone through by me and sorted. Sadly* the private reg is actually included. Need a road legal estate, so any offers? Citroen XM estate also considered......although being a swap only nice examples considered...
944 runs well. Starts well and is reliable. Remote central locking fitted.

post-5532-0-49066800-1396892696_thumb.jpg

post-5532-0-86600300-1396892766_thumb.jpg

post-5532-0-68184800-1396893815_thumb.jpg

post-5532-0-62892000-1396893855_thumb.jpg

post-5532-0-95464600-1396893961_thumb.jpg

nothing to swap and apologies if I am breaking forum etiquette by asking if you have a sale price?

No worries about etiquette here... :-)

Given the amount of ££££s spent would be looking for around £2000 to be honest. High mileage, but belts done, all things work etc...

No worries about etiquette here... :-)

Given the amount of ££££s spent would be looking for around £2000 to be honest. High mileage, but belts done, all things work etc...

thanks, I don't have quite enough ferreted away. GLWTS

I have the XM estate available but no spare cash. Since buying it in December I have put new tyres on the rear, replaced most of the exhaust including the cat and changed the auto transmission fluid. Also changed a rear hub after mong at tyre place failed to tighten wheel nuts properly.

It does however have a distinct lack of oomph, refusing to accelerate up hills or proceed at over the legal speed limit of which I have yet to get to the root of the cause. GR9 if you have points on your licence.

Whats the MPG of the porker? Would a child seat fit in the back? Would you swap 4 an XM estate with the wrong engine and 2 pedals?

MPG is around 28/30 ish.... Doubt that a child seat would fit TBH!

No objection to an auto. But really depends on condition.

:-)

Ooooo lovely!

.... fancy a 1990's Honda Prelude 2L Twincarb EX Auto?

Rare but undervalued because no one knows what the hell it is and you never see them this side of the pond.

It's a Jap coupe. You fold yourself into it. You get out by opening the door and falling sideways.

Ooooo lovely!

.... fancy a 1990's Honda Prelude 2L Twincarb EX Auto?

Rare but undervalued because no one knows what the hell it is and you never see them this side of the pond.

It's a Jap coupe. You fold yourself into it. You get out by opening the door and falling sideways.

As it is neither a 75 Tourer or an Xm Estate...

Yes actually! Details please?!

(Jumps around impatiently waiting for reply)

Ask and ye shall receive.

It's like a 944 with a bigger boot. If you squint... and are drunk. Engine bay holds a twin carburettor SOHC Honda engine with a whopping 100bhp or so, but the auto box is pretty damn good and slams it to red line immediately if you put your foot down. Especially in Sport mode. All the power is at the top end, so it cruises along quite nicely at motorway speeds. No AC I'm afraid, but it does have a working sunroof. In fact everything electrical works fine.

Four speakers, cables for a sub in the boot (but none fitted, never got around to it) and a £200 Sony DAB head unit makes for some nice tunes. I'd probably leave this in the car since the sound system is castrated without it.

She has around 71k mileage, I forget the exact number. Cam belt could need doing but I have the parts here (belts, water pump, yada yada) which I'd include, just not got around to doing it. Fairly easy on a SOHC. Also the workshop manual.

She scrubs up well. I fixed the arches as they were quite crusty when I bought her. Only physical downside is a chunk missing from the weather seal on the drivers door (can be seen in first pic) but I've never had water ingress despite it being outside 24/7. It's not on a water channel. Has custom Magnecor leads. Is grumpy when too hot or too cold, thinks it's Goldilocks, normal carb stuff.

honda1.JPG

honda2.JPG

honda3.JPG

honda5.JPG

honda6.JPG

honda7.JPG

honda8.JPG

honda9.JPG

Whereabouts are you in the country, Bob? I'm up for a swap.

Don't get me wrong, the Honda has served me very well indeed and it's a great car that I have fun with, but I'll be honest with you so you know what you might be getting yourself into. The brakes squeak and this is simply because they're missing the retaining spring (the front callipers are actually brand spanking new, I replaced them myself), as it's very difficult to find the parts. In fact it's very difficult to find any parts as it's so rare and completely unsupported by Honda. Support is fantastic in the US as they love them there, but is non-existent over here. I bought a new cam cover gasket and had to get it from the US.

Of course it may also be the situation that I'm a complete derp and am not looking hard enough. You likely have a larger knowledge base and more known suppliers than I.

MPG is about the same as the 944 I think. High 20's/low 30's. Much better on longer journeys. It's a motorway devourer. I've not played with the carbs, you could probably get more MPG through tuning. I'm scared to touch them.

Whereabouts are you in the country, Bob? I'm up for a swap.

Don't get me wrong, the Honda has served me very well indeed and it's a great car that I have fun with, but I'll be honest with you so you know what you might be getting yourself into. The brakes squeak and this is simply because they're missing the retaining spring (the front callipers are actually brand spanking new, I replaced them myself), as it's very difficult to find the parts. In fact it's very difficult to find any parts as it's so rare and completely unsupported by Honda. Support is fantastic in the US as they love them there, but is non-existent over here. I bought a new cam cover gasket and had to get it from the US.

Of course it may also be the situation that I'm a complete derp and am not looking hard enough. You likely have a larger knowledge base and more known suppliers than I.

MPG is about the same as the 944 I think. High 20's/low 30's. Much better on longer journeys. It's a motorway devourer. I've not played with the carbs, you could probably get more MPG through tuning. I'm scared to touch them.

All ok by me...

Am in Lytham St Annes, but the 944 is currently in South West Scotland at our static caravan. Am happy to meet up somewhere in the middle nearer to you or whatever..... Details to be arranged? Am flexible!

Oh so not a million miles away then, I'm in Teesside, NE England.

Assuming it'll either be a straight swap or money will be discussed once we actually get to see each others vehicles. Half way is fine, somewhere on the border would be about half way I think.

Were you desperate to get rid of it or can you wait? I'm away this weekend, could get up on Thursday this week maybe but all next week is free. Up to you.

Swap went ahead without a hitch! Duncan (Bobthebeard) is a top bloke and a really nice guy. Knows his stuff with welding. Hope he got home okay and is enjoying the Honda.

Got home okay in the Porsche. I see what you meant about the wobble on the wheel at speed, I'll take it to my local trusted tyre place (less likely to just flog me new tyres) and get them to check the weights.

Just finished a quick clean, she comes up nicely. Most of the "faults" are cosmetic and I thoroughly enjoy tackling those. Already put my stereo in and sourced decent speakers. I can't be without MA TOONES.