Shit you see at the side of the road

beko1987

Guest bangerfan101

I live on there. At the minute I'm at work in Harrogate. My sad faced red fiesta is usually on the road outside. Cant miss it. Filthy, roof bars and St George's cross on back bumper. Fair bit of chod kicking about round here

Our neighbor farmer had a burnt out Vectra left in his field. Police wouldn't arrange for it to be lifted as it was off the highway, scrap yard wouldn't touch it without a v5 so he was stumped.

Until it got stolen again.

Who the hell steals a burnt out vectra...?

My old neighbour who was some sort of amateur pharmacist had his Skoda Felicia burned out outside his house. As in, someone walked up the road with a Molotov Cocktail, torched it, walked off.

Anyway, the next morning at 6am a scrap wagon pulled up, hiabed it on and drove off in 2 minutes flat. Nicked the burned out shell.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Guest bangerfan101

I walk back up your street from the sun Inn, transport pennine trail. Cant say I've seen the fiesta. Lovely old lada sat laid up round the corner from you

Guest bangerfan101

Not guilty on that one. I walked the dog up there the day it showed up. Looked like the axle had slipped on the leaf springs at one side. Couldn't be arsed to try and move it

They've done well to get it where they did if that happened on the 62

• 2 weeks later...

Coming up the M11 yesterday I was about to overtake a car transporter carrying some wrecks when the bonnet flew open on one of them and bits of busted engine and smashed bodywork started to rain down. My passenger phoned the bill and after bits stopped dropping off I managed to get past. Good job I had the hood up.

post-7547-0-24755700-1488562891_thumb.jpg

Jogging in quiet unclassified roads at the back of Bonnybridge has its advantages as there is frequent evidence of cars understeering into ditches and over low walls, driven by people who have perhaps overestimated their abilities. I often see a fair few bits of motoring debris as a result and always stop to have a fouter.

There's a complete headlight unit from the latest model of Golf shoved in a hedge together with some other broken bits of another VW, possibly older. The light looked intact with bulbs still fitted and I was going to lift it and put it on eBay. However when I turned it over the brackets had broken.

Further along the same road another older VW has hit a ditch. Likely a pineappled MK2 Golf or Polo as the pressed metal H Reg plate was folded around a branch. The impact availed the car of a lovely intact VW grille badge which i took home, washed and displayed on a shelf next to my VW model cars of a similar era.

• 1 year later...

I found a half inch drive Kamasa ratchet on the road the other week. It's a bit scraped but works fine. I presume that someone left it in an engine bay. If I could get it back to its previous owner I would but as it's only distinguishing features are the scrapes it got from landing on the road I might as well keep it.

I am always drawn to shiny things on the side of the road, hence my large collection of hubcaps.

I only take interesting ones that have clearly been there awhile. If they look like a recent loss, I put them somewhere visible so they can be retreived easily if the owner can be bothered, if they are half-buried or deep in the shrubbery it can be assumed the owner is not coming back and if they are old, rare or just look nice they find there way onto the wall of my shed.

It is easy to sell hub caps/wheel trims on ebay.  I must've sold about ten that way.  One was picked up locally, so I hoped it didn't have any distinctive marks!  I sold one old Vauxhall one that was in terrible condition, all scratched and marked, went to Italy.

And got one which was right for my wife's car - result.

Sorry if I have put this before!

• 10 months later...

I saw a big bag of clinical waste once. Needles, bloody bandages, all sorts of horrible stuff. I was on foot when I found it. Called the cops who arrived mob handed in a Land Rover.

It was here, at 3pm on a week day.

Right by my old school then.  I used to walk up the North Road every day from the station.  It was miserable.  At all times.

When I still did a lot of driving throughout Europe and the Near East, I always picked up hitchhikers.

Without a single exception, a highly interesting conversation ensued.

I remember that couple from Ireland I picked up near Aachen in the pouring rain, who rode with me all the way to Vienna, where my journey ended. They were members of a theater group in Westport and lived there on a 120ft Schooner.

They invited me to visit them there and join them for a sailing trip to Reykjavik - in Winter! And I did it!

I miss hitchhikers. No idea why it suddenly went out of fashion, but my guess is the introduction of those cheap backpacker tickets for railways and planes in the 90s.

You just went way back up in my estimation.  Sounds class.  I love impromptu occurences such as this.  Could tell some stories...

I'm on the estate with premier shop on the corner

An it was still there this morning

Moorhouse Estate? Used to be a stately home there did you know?

Hence the name, bloke that lived there before it was torn down owned all the mines in Rothwell/Methley/Whitwood.

Ive got a copy of a painting of it somewhere.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

More tools.  The socket wrench last autumn, and today a big plumber’s adjustable. (Stilson-?)

image.png.59f103d9f270025dab5f56b3f06aa6de.png
76103F55-C719-4D04-A048-18A3F2F47B22.thumb.jpeg.9d9b148c1fb5c2fc9cb577e8ded5bdb6.jpeg

One I didn’t pick up (because I was on the M4) was a big and expensive looking crimp tool.