In the Shite again....

Baz

....And loving it! :D

The Shite in question is my "new" '92 Mazda 323f 1.6i GLX....I decided that I wanted to preserve my MX-5 through the winter, so that's going in the garage, only to be brought out on nice (crappy road free) days, until spring comes around again....I figured that a white flip-light 323 would be the perfect compliment to my white flip-light MX-5! I bought this car sight unseen (couldn't be bothered to drive 260-odd miles just to view a £400 car, so just agreed to buy it!), and collected on Saturday....Here are the pics....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

....I find that photos always flatter a car slightly. The car is FAR from perfect....All I've done so far, is basically throw a bucket of water over it, remove the "Mazda", "16-Valve", and "GLX" decals as they were looking faded/tatty, and spruce the interior a little....The car still needs a damn good polish with something like Colour Magic, then considerable touching-in of scratches etc....There are a couple of areas of corrosion, particularly on the sunroof, but basically the car is sound I think....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

....The interior has worn very well, and is a nice, comfy place to be....I'd imagine the 323f must have been ahead of it's time for a Japanese car in terms of interior quality - It all feels very well built, and I can't find any fake stitching anywhere! The car is quiet, with no squeaks, clonks or rattles whatsoever, and pefectly spacious enough for my needs, although I can see where S.L. is coming from when he says that it isn't quite adequate for a family with small children....Space for "stuff" is severely lacking!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

....Overall, I'm extremely impressed....The car may slightly dog-eared, but its only done 91,000 miles, with a good service history, 11 months M.O.T, and 6 months tax. I can honestly say that it drives like a 3 year old car....I think I already prefer it to the Megane! Once it's buffed up and touched in, I'm considering making a few improvements, such as trying to get it so that the headlamps don't come up when you put the sidelights on, maybe remove the front plate and replace with a sticky one on the bonnet/front panel, maybe fit a GT rear spoiler, possibly source another white (rust-free) sunroof panel, and also fit these....

Posted Image

....The 15" alloys currently residing on the MX-5....They're being replaced by 16 x 8" Rota Cups soon, so rather than merely bunging them on Ebay, I think I'll bung 'em on the 323 instead!

Hope you like the car....Any comments/suggestions would be welcomed! :D

My stepson had one of these, white as well. Paid £150 off t'ebay for it, years mot, tatty-ish, paint flat, front bumper gaffa taped up.Smoked around in it for nigh on a year, never had to lift the bonnet. I spent a day with the buffer and cutting compound and it looked lovely. I really liked it and even considered buying it off him, but our local Ford dealer gave him £500 p/x against his Fuccus, so it went thataway.Great choice!Re the wheels; are the pcds and bore size the same as the MX5? I looked up a PCD chart and I seem to remember loads of different ones for Mazzers... mankymonkeymotors.com (or summat like that) was the site I got it from.....

Re the wheels; are the pcds and bore size the same as the MX5? I looked up a PCD chart and I seem to remember loads of different ones for Mazzers... mankymonkeymotors.com (or summat like that) was the site I got it from.....

It's all exactly the same....I've looked it up on some Ebay shop or other....Plus I've actually seen a BG 323f with the standard NA MX-5 "Minilite-ish" wheels fitted! :)

The later ones (without popup lights) do - a 2-litre.Looks good Baz, a few minutes with a bottle of Tippex on those front bumpers would improve it 1000%.I am liking the thought of one of these on MX-5 minilites - the 4-door saloon would look boss so-equipped, I reckon. What do Rota Cups look like when they are at home?

I've always liked the look of these as well, but was turned off by most reports I read saying they had a bone-hard ride (the one thing I can't stick in a car). Consequently I had Corollas and Camrys during my 'Japanese' phase. What's the ride like Baz?

Once it's buffed up and touched in, I'm considering making a few improvements, such as trying to get it so that the headlamps don't come up when you put the sidelights on, maybe remove the front plate and replace with a sticky one on the bonnet/front panel, maybe fit a GT rear spoiler, possibly source another white (rust-free) sunroof panel, and also fit these....

An improvement I would suggest is to respray the mirrors in black - with the black pillars and the likes I can't understand why they colourcoded the mirrors, have done this treatment on a red one and it looks the business.

Thanks for the comments gents....

A Rota Cup equipped MX-5 for the benefit of Mr.Welfare:

Posted Image

I think they look freakin' gorgeous! 8)

Carlo....The ride isn't Citroen CX compliant, but I wouldn't describe it as "Bone Hard" either....It's certainly no worse than my 2006 Renault Megane in this respect....Maybe a little less well damped, but I'm guessing that may be down to old age! :D

Hirst....I too think the white mirrors look a bit naff! The driver's mirror is quite badly cracked, so I may well follow your lead and repair it, then spray them both satin black or summat....Good idea that! :wink:

Hotford....I seem to recall the BTCC 323f was plain white for the first few outings, then IIRC it turned black, with Shell sponsorship....That's not to say it wasn't sprayed orange, prior to being shunted in recent years....Hope it's salvageable? :cry:

Nice car, looks very clean, never been really sure what to make of these cars though, they always come across to me like a half hearted attempt at a sports car.

Are they the original mats? the ones in the back look a little big?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love original OE mats. I've loads of Rover 800 ones laying around, and x2 full set of K11 ones in my Micra (For better insulation) and the original Rover deep pile ones in my Sterling.

I always feel original/fitted mats make a difference, makes it look as if the car has been looked after in some sort of way at least and brings in a little class.

Lord Sterling

Are they the original mats? the ones in the back look a little big?

They would seem to be genuine Mazda....The drivers one (which I've discarded, due to a big hole where the driver's right heel goes) had "Mazda" on it, and all the others are definitely shaped correctly, but as you say, the rears just appear to be a few inches too large all round! :?

There's only one MX5 I'd own:

Posted Image

Baz, I've previously "patched" worn mats with an extra layer of fabric stiched on top using thick thread - if you find the right material it can look almost "factory". Well "dealer", anyway.

The LeMans is a bit gaudy for my taste....I'm sure the BBR Turbo kit is of benefit, but personally, if I wanted extra performance from my 5 (which I don't), I'd fit a supercharger to the standard car....Far more satisfactory IMHO! 8)

Regarding the mats....Not being an accomplished seamstress such as your good self, I find it easier to just bin a holed mat and replace it with another! :wink:

These are slowly growing on me, shame they didnt do a 2/3 door version...An ex-girlfriends mother had a green one of these, had a full leather interior - I seem to think it was maybe fitted aftermarket, anyone confirm whether they were available with leather or not?.

Nice car, looks very clean, never been really sure what to make of these cars though, they always come across to me like a half hearted attempt at a sports car.

I know where you're coming from, they look like they're trying to compete with a Celica or MR2 but it's hard to see them that way when you know that the 323 always was & is meant to be aimed at those in the market for a Corolla or a Civic! :wink:

Take it for was it is: A practical, well built, reliable, well equipped, cheap to run, undemanding (and admittedly slightly uninspiring) to drive, family hatchback, with styling that sets it apart slightly, and it hits the spot nicely! :D I'm delighted with mine....Think I'll look for a GT next....The twincam engine might just inject the sparkle that's missing from mine! 8)

In addition or instead of?

Instead of....But this'll probably only happen in the event of the current one suffering a severe mechanical/M.O.T. failure! :) The missus understands my desire to preserve the MX-5, so she'll tolerate one additional car....I'd be pushing my luck with a second though, which means I've already had to turn down the offer of a black GT over on the 323f forum! :roll: